Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:44 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Luke also has this.

Luke 5. 20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.
21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?
23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

Note that Luke is a bit smarter, having the Pharisees mutter out loud, so the problem of how Jesus knew what they were thinking and the writer knew what Jesus was thinking is overcome by rewriting the Bible - which Luke often does.

Yes, good catch, Trans. You can see the evolution of the gospels as each later writer (Luke was the 3rd) is confronted with the same problem I just outlined, being "How could an anonymous writer in Greece who didn't know the apostles or Jesus and was writing 75 years after the crucifixion possibly know what Jesus was thinking"?????? and then try to come up with a sensible solution to the problem, no matter how dishonest or fraudulent it is.
I mean the whole scenario flies in the face of pure logic and common sense, but don't try to point this out to a Christian. They will fight to the death against the illogic of all this and insist the Holy Spirit gave the writer mind-reading powers to know Jesus' thoughts, then stick their fingers in their ears and keep repeating, "Hear no evil, hear no evil, hear no evil...." when you try to explain how silly that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, but I told you in post #65 that if you wanted to drop the "pagan" you could but you completely ignored this. Here it is:

So what's your excuse now for not answering succinctly--other than you just don't have an answer?
It is still YOUR characterization of Jesus and God.

I disagree with almost everything of YOUR characterization.

Jesus is NOT God, so go back and rewrite it all again

Old 05-14-2019, 10:26 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
It is still YOUR characterization of Jesus and God.

I disagree with almost everything of YOUR characterization.

Jesus is NOT God, so go back and rewrite it all again

Quote:
Jesus is NOT God

Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I can imagine, especially when you're trying to convey your own convictions/nonconvictions.
yada yada...as if you don't, as well

Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
yada yada...as if you don't, as well
What am I trying to convey? I'm not trying to impress anyone. I've never referenced my degree to try to impress or sway others... and you can go to hell right now or simply feed the worms and I would sleep just fine; I honestly couldn't care less either way.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
What am I trying to convey? I'm not trying to impress anyone. I've never referenced my degree to try to impress or sway others... and you can go to hell right now or simply feed the worms and I would sleep just fine; I honestly couldn't care less either way.
What a wonderful christian attitude.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What a wonderful christian attitude.
Oh, you can classify who's a Christian or not? Does that just work for Christianity?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
and if a scientist leaves his petre dish and never returns to it, what do you call that.
Observation, and not manipulating the natural progress of the experiment.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, good catch, Trans. You can see the evolution of the gospels as each later writer (Luke was the 3rd) is confronted with the same problem I just outlined, being "How could an anonymous writer in Greece who didn't know the apostles or Jesus and was writing 75 years after the crucifixion possibly know what Jesus was thinking"?????? and then try to come up with a sensible solution to the problem, no matter how dishonest or fraudulent it is.
I mean the whole scenario flies in the face of pure logic and common sense, but don't try to point this out to a Christian. They will fight to the death against the illogic of all this and insist the Holy Spirit gave the writer mind-reading powers to know Jesus' thoughts, then stick their fingers in their ears and keep repeating, "Hear no evil, hear no evil, hear no evil...." when you try to explain how silly that is.
There's another one - or two -where the angel gives the message at the tomb.

Mark says that Jesus would see them them in Galilee - as he told them

Mark 16. 6 But he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him. 7 But go, tell His disciples—and Peter—that He is going [a]before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said to you.”
8 So they went out [b]quickly and fled from the tomb, for they trembled and were amazed. And they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.

Matthew knows that Jesus hadn't told them any such thing, so he alters it to 'Now I (the angel) have told you'. Also it wouldn't do to have the women running away and telling nobody. They had to go and tell the disciples.

Matthew 28. 6 He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he[a] lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and behold, he is going before you to Galilee; there you will see him. See, I have told you.” 8 So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples.

But Luke wants the disciples to stay in Jerusalem because that is what Acts is going to be about. So he drops the bit about going to Galilee and changes it is 'what he Jesus had told them while they were in Galilee.Luke 24. 6 He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee, 7 saying, ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.’ ”
8 And they remembered His words. 9 Then they returned from the tomb and told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest.

Note also that Luke says the disciples were eleven - plus 'all the rest' such as Cleophas. What that means is that Thomas was there and
not off on some journey as John says, Luke thus refuting John's 'doubting Thomas' story.

But it's even worse with John.

John 20.1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. 2 So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!”

No angelic message at all.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-15-2019 at 01:01 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Oh, you can classify who's a Christian or not? Does that just work for Christianity?
Sorry, Charlie. That's not what I said. And you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality