Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 07:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I read this verse over on the Christianity forum just now

Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things? Which is easier: to say to this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’?
(Mark 2:8-9)

and for the first time after reading this hundreds of times the question stuck me:

"How did the anonymous writer of Mark, writing in Greece 50 years after Jesus' crucifixion, KNOW what Jesus was knowing/feeling in his spirit when the Pharisees were questioning him? Who told the anonymous writer this very private fact? There's no way he could have knowledge of this so he had to be making the entire thing up---from his imagination. And if he made up that part of the gospel what would stop him from making the whole gospel up??????

The evidence against the gospels being genuine just keeps adding up.
And what is more, Matthew says the same thing

Matthew 9. 3 And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth.
4 And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?
5 For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?

So this is also plagiarism, as well as plagiarism of a thing that no eyewitness could have known. In addition to which - it taxes place at different times. In Mark, it is long before Jesus sails to Gadara, but in Matthew it is directly after he comes back from Gadara.

Luke also has this.

Luke 5. 20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.
21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
22 But when Jesus perceived their thoughts, he answering said unto them, What reason ye in your hearts?
23 Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

Note that Luke is a bit smarter, having the Pharisees mutter out loud, so the problem of how Jesus knew what they were thinking and the writer knew what Jesus was thinking is overcome by rewriting the Bible - which Luke often does. Incidentally, Luke reflects the original order of events (as does Mark) and NOT Matthew's - it's before Gadara, not after - and this is another clue that Luke did Not copy his gospel from Matthew.

And finally...
John 5. Some time later, Jesus went up to Jerusalem for one of the Jewish festivals. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda[a] and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades. 3 Here a great number of disabled people used to lie—the blind, the lame, the paralyzed. [4] [b] 5 One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”
7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”
8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

Now i know that the claim can be made that Jesus could use the same formula for any such healing, but just odd that this happens in Jerusalem but the one in Galilee is missed, while the synoptics report ...sorry..Copy...the one in Galilee but ignore the one in Jerusalem.

I's sugest that we use the Omegius explanation - lowest common denominator. 'On one occasion, Jesus said to a paralyzed man: “Rise! Pick up your mat and walk.” And he rose and pickethed up his mat and walkethed.' simple miracle claim, which Was popped into the Synoptic original Gospel (proto -Mark) in Galilee, with some screenplay involving Pharisees requiring a crystal ball which Luke tidies up and John put it in Jerusalem. With a wrangle with the Pharisees, true, but a totally different one. Easy.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-14-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,383,510 times
Quote:
So please read the following and tell me where I mis-characterized. What's not true?
The whole thing is a mis-characterization based on your bias understanding.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
It's not the same. "Forsake" implies someone had a stake in another person's well-being at one time and then deserted them. God never had a stake in his creation. He never claimed to be interested. He just created everything, set up natural laws to govern it all and then sat back.
if one sets up laws to run things shows he has a stake in his creation and then disappears never to reappear is forsaking it, so call it what you like but imo it is the same as forsaking it.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Your characterization of what a christian believes, does not mean the christian believes in your characterization
Well then, pneuma, please read the following and tell me where I mis-characterized. What's not true?
Quote:
Christian: believes in a pagan son of god named jesus and worships this god on his knees; prays to this god; swears loyalty unto death to this god; pays hard-earned $$$'s to this god; essentially devotes his entire life to this god in the hopes this god will bring him eternal life and let's this god dictate to him how to live and what to believe.

Quote:
Your characterization of what a christian believes, does not mean the christian believes in your characterization.
Yes, but please point out specifically what I mis-characterized?
Quote:
Yes, but can't you tell me specifically what part of my statement is a mis-characterization?

Quote:
Pneuma! Focus! Watch my lips! Please point out with specific examples what I mis-characterized!!!

Quote:
And there you have it, folks--a typical conversation with a Christian fundie in here. Just another day in the R&S TRYING desperately to carry on an intelligent conversation with one of 'em .

Old 05-14-2019, 10:00 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
No it's actually yours. The 'stake in His creation' is entirely Your bias (admittedly derived from Christian dogma - but Yours here) whereas Thrillo has a creator that creates stuff and lets it work out as it does - in fact intelligent evolution. There is no case for a personal stake in how things turn out or a Plan for man. Thus 'forsaking' is as irrelevant as a scientist 'forsaking' his petrie dish culture for a month's conference in Rio before coming back to see what grew.

Your Christian bias has the effect of forcing a particular meaning on God not being around - forsaking - which again according to Christian Dogma is something that God simply cannot do, even though the complete Pigs' ear he'd made of it so far should have convinced any god with two brain -cells to bang together than the best thing he could do for humanity was go far, far away.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Well then, pneuma, please read the following and tell me where I mis-characterized. What's not true?
Quote:
Christian: believes in a pagan son of god named jesus and worships this god on his knees; prays to this god; swears loyalty unto death to this god; pays hard-earned $$$'s to this god; essentially devotes his entire life to this god in the hopes this god will bring him eternal life and let's this god dictate to him how to live and what to believe.

Yes, but please point out specifically what I mis-characterized?
Yes, but can't you tell me specifically what part of my statement is a mis-characterization?

Pneuma! Focus! Watch my lips! Please point out with specific examples what I mis-characterized!!!

And there you have it, folks--a typical conversation with a Christian fundie in here. Just another day in the R&S TRYING desperately to carry on an intelligent conversation with one of 'em .
Quote:
No christian believes in a pagan son of god called Jesus.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No it's actually yours. The 'stake in His creation' is entirely Your bias (admittedly derived from Christian dogma - but Yours here) whereas Thrillo has a creator that creates stuff and lets it work out as it does - in fact intelligent evolution. There is no case for a personal stake in how things turn out or a Plan for man. Thus 'forsaking' is as irrelevant as a scientist 'forsaking' his petrie dish culture for a month's conference in Rio before coming back to see what grew.

Your Christian bias has the effect of forcing a particular meaning on God not being around - forsaking - which again according to Christian Dogma is something that God simply cannot do, even though the complete Pigs' ear he'd made of it so far should have convinced any god with two brain -cells to bang together than the best thing he could do for humanity was go far, far away.
and if a scientist leaves his petre dish and never returns to it, what do you call that.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
No christian believes in a pagan son of god called Jesus.
Yes, but I told you in post #65 that if you wanted to drop the "pagan" you could but you completely ignored this. Here it is:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma
Your characterization of what a christian believes, does not mean the christian believes in your characterization.

So please read the following and tell me where I mis-characterized. What's not true?
Quote:
Christian: believes in a ["pagan"--eliminate this word if you like) son of god named jesus and worships this god on his knees; prays to this god; swears loyalty unto death to this god; pays hard-earned $$$'s to this god; essentially devotes his entire life to this god in the hopes this god will bring him eternal life and let's this god dictate to him how to live and what to believe.
So what's your excuse now for not answering succinctly--other than you just don't have an answer?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
LMAO! The old 'Why are you angry at God' ploy.
I know. It gets boring.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:59 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know. It gets boring.
I can imagine, especially when you're trying to convey your own convictions/nonconvictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality