Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 06:49 PM

50,362 posts, read 23,952,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
diversion and avoidance. your personal onion is not evidence. your personal opinion is no more valid than jimmie's. I get it though, you stay within a strick defined set of limits. "but they are meanies and have to be stopped."

I don't care phet, I only do how the universe works. I am truly sorry for how some people treated you, but at some point others don't have to define you.

your choice.
I will try to keep my personal onion in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed.
First of all...again? This old routine. Again?

Besides, it's not true.

For example, I say fairly often that there is nothing wrong with faith, provided that the individual knows the difference between faith and fact.

Or, I've said any number of times that there is a fair amount wisdom in the New Testament.

Or, I've said that I personally some wonderful Methodists who live their understanding of the bible. In fact, I've mentioned that I occasionally go the methodist church, and have been pleased to see that they (at least the one I go to) have pretty much dropped Old Testament readings and concentrate on New Testament readings.

I've never talked about this, but I have worked with Catholic Charities a number of times, though admittedly not lately.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-08-2019 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,796,568 times
You couldn't be more wrong about preferring the New Testament over the Old Testament. Anything good in the NT was present in much greater form in the OT prophets and wisdom literature.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You couldn't be more wrong about preferring the New Testament over the Old Testament. Anything good in the NT was present in much greater form in the OT prophets and wisdom literature.
Well, now you've created a problem.

With the violence and hate that I see in the Old Testament...based on what you just said, I cannot respect the New Testament.

Thank you for helping me justify my disdain now for the entire bible.

You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,618,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, now you've created a problem.

With the violence and hate that I see in the Old Testament...based on what you just said, I cannot respect the New Testament.

Thank you for helping me justify my disdain now for the entire bible.

You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
Meanwhile...it is the most prolific and influential book in the history of this world.
THAT'S the real problem you have.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:24 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Meanwhile...it is the most prolific and influential book in the history of this world.
One could argue about a lot of other influential books.

Das Kapital as one.

The Art of War

Etc... here:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...he-world.html/

Old 06-02-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make it true.
That doesn't make what's in it right.
And it doesn't mean that I -- or anyone else -- has to accept it.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,810,957 times
Quote:
You just hate it that Religion has that kinda power...and Atheism is pathetically weak in that regard.
Au cotraire small minion. I don't hate that. What I hate is that people can be so unbelievably superstitious and wilfully ignorant as to fall for the con-trick.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
Me too.

Whacko fundamentalist, extremist believers in religion. Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu and some Buddhists even.

Fact:

More terror attacks in the USA done by Christian and right-wing whackos than Muslim whackos since 9/11.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-08-2019 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted

Old 06-03-2019, 08:21 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,303,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Considering there was no male contributor to the blastocyst inside of Mary, where did the male "Y" chromosome come from?
The Y chromosome didn't come from anywhere - because it never existed. Because the "virgin birth" never happened.

The fact that you even have to ask this question only shows that the author of the Bible had no clue about how genetics works. In their simple world of superstition and scientific ignorance, the author thought that a virgin birth would be just like any other birth despite having no genetic contribution from the father.

Yet there is no doubt in my mind that apologists and "true believers" will do all kinds of mental gymnastics and amazing feats of verbal contortion in order to explain how it happened - even if they have to resort to the old stand-by of: "Well, it was magic!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality