Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:18 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times

Advertisements

It makes sense that they are angry, bitter, and frustrated. When they are no longer relevant, they no longer call the shots and are losing the social power of coercion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 06:28 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think that socially, we have been evolving. It doesn't seem new, because we are still instinctive animals. We know what our ideals are, but we can't put them into practice.

I may be wrong - I may be biased, paranoid and prejudiced. But I reckon that the religious right still put this instinctive thinking as the right way to think. "Atheists should not be citizens or patriots", "Axis of Evil" "Bomb Hanoi". This is all called 'make America Great again'. All the time we don't evolve beyond the primate instincts, we will stay like that.
lets compare that too the countries that outlaw religion "inprision, deport or illuminate religious".

I am not for christian fundy's, but I am not for your sect of atheism either. You sound exactly like Castro before he took power. Your sect of atheism will turn on its own people after you "get them axis of evil" religious groups.

what evidence fo I use for that clai?

I use your words. you want to obscure any science or truth that religious can use and make atheism harder to sell. Like the Fundy theist, your sect of atheism deploy's deceitful tactics knowing ful well if you did not you can't win. worse that that, you honestly feel deceit now is is fine so long as your statement of belief about god wins the day.

lurkers doubt me? just ask him why we should change, deny, and or not talk about, some valid claims about the the universe works. Look for word like "i am waiting, no practical value, semantics, and the ever present "thats just apologetic.". of course "sort-a-god" is toss about liberally too.

he will deploy those words like they are evidence against claims when, in fact, they are nothing but his personal opinion on his statement of belief about god that he wants us to follow. He thinks the end game of "he will save us" with his statement of belief about god/religion.

just like any, good, eastern block European wants too save us evil Americans with our evil beliefs. and like any good fundy think type you feel everybody needs to be saved with your belief statement about god.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It makes sense that they are angry, bitter, and frustrated. When they are no longer relevant, they no longer call the shots and are losing the social power of coercion.
Can you give an example of Christians "calling the shots"? I'm not talking about registered and baptized members of mainline churches. I am talking about fundamentalists "calling the shots".

Old 05-26-2019, 06:35 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

All of which got me to wondering about the Christian fundamentalists' agenda. I've given it some thought and believe it can be summarized simply: Turning the clock back to 1955 when women and coloreds knew their place and gays dared not creep out of their closets.

It was a time in America when white, Protestant men flourished at the expense of everybody else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Can you give an example of Christians "calling the shots"? I'm not talking about registered and baptized members of mainline churches. I am talking about fundamentalists "calling the shots".
The quoted post above was what I was referring to.

I should also add that they are losing the social power of rewards.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:50 AM

keep in mind that white american male believer went to war to kill each other to stop some bad things.

good white american males took troops off of the front and sent them into our own city's to help stop bad white men.

white american male believers went in and forcibly made white men stop doing bad things. we have done so through our whole history. as short as it may be.

what america represents today, in 2019, in no less disgusting than it was in 1955.

1955: work hard, earn your keep. the problem is that we didn't do enough to help others.

2019: They (whites) owe you. the problem is they could care less about anybody so long as they get what they feel my children owe them. my children are not even old enough to work on their own yet, but people are after them to take from them.

Canada? Canada's male population doesn't treat women like american's men do? really?

look at the country of origin of people and see how those countries are running. Then decide if its ok to let that population come in and make the united run the same.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:56 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think that socially, we have been evolving. It doesn't seem new, because we are still instinctive animals. We know what our ideals are, but we can't put them into practice.

I may be wrong - I may be biased, paranoid and prejudiced. But I reckon that the religious right still put this instinctive thinking as the right way to think. "Atheists should not be citizens or patriots", "Axis of Evil" "Bomb Hanoi". This is all called 'make America Great again'. All the time we don't evolve beyond the primate instincts, we will stay like that.
For the purposes of this post, when I mention the word "religion", I'm thinking of the original meaning of it's Latin roots, which is "re-connect" or "re-bind" to God. As in, trying to get back to what we were before the fall.

I think religion, in it's basic form, tries to show us we are more than just animals. We are different, and should act like it. We don't have to follow simple instincts.
Negative instinctive behavior is in no way exclusive to the religious right. Take a look at society as a whole, not just the ones we disagree with. The less religious we become, the more animalistic we become. We just do whatever we want, and don't want anyone to tell us otherwise.
Yet, we have no problem trying to force our beliefs on others whether we're spiritual or athiest.
Seems like almost everybody wants their way and wants everyone to agree with them, regardless of what they proclaim.
The religious right is no different and often acts as nonreligious as anyone.

That's the point of my first post: the religious act like the non-religious, so why should the non-religious feel threatened? Looks to me like secularism is getting it's way.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
That's the point of my first post: the religious act like the non-religious, so why should the non-religious feel threatened? Looks to me like secularism is getting it's way.
thats exactly it. some in the religious ranks and some in the anti-ranks act the same.

for me, since I do not base any conclusion on how things work on god and/or religion, I have to look at humans as a whole.

How do the people in the business of studying people classify personalty types and human behavior. after looking at these classifications i then looked at how they would express their particular beliefs.

to sum it up, sick people express sick beliefs and rational people express rational beliefs. Why we let far right anti-religious iron curtain types and far right theist fascism type rule the day is a bummer.

I think its because we have limits and they don't. Look at anti-religious/god and "my god only types" will do anything, say anything, and step on anybody they have too to push their statement of beliefs about god on the rest of us. They truly believe they are saving us with their, sick, statement of belief about god/religious.

But this kind of thinking isn't good for the business of war for Fundy-think atheist and Fundy-think theist. thinking through things is frowned upon when evaluating statement of belief about god/religious for these two groups. .

Old 05-26-2019, 09:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
VP Mike Pence

EPA head Scott Pruitt

Senator James Inhofe

Old 05-26-2019, 10:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
For the purposes of this post, when I mention the word "religion", I'm thinking of the original meaning of it's Latin roots, which is "re-connect" or "re-bind" to God. As in, trying to get back to what we were before the fall.

I think religion, in it's basic form, tries to show us we are more than just animals. We are different, and should act like it. We don't have to follow simple instincts.
Negative instinctive behavior is in no way exclusive to the religious right. Take a look at society as a whole, not just the ones we disagree with. The less religious we become, the more animalistic we become. We just do whatever we want, and don't want anyone to tell us otherwise.
Yet, we have no problem trying to force our beliefs on others whether we're spiritual or athiest.
Seems like almost everybody wants their way and wants everyone to agree with them, regardless of what they proclaim.
The religious right is no different and often acts as nonreligious as anyone.

I reckon that humans as reasoning animals thought about ethics, morals, community and how we can live together. Religion used that very handily. Looking back, I'd say this was so instinctive that nobody doubted it. But there were a couple of jolts. The first was the renaissance to enlightenment when people outside the church became educated and they had the sectarian wars to consider, too.

The second was Darwin, when the long process of seeing physics rather than miracles as being where we came from, plus a gradual realisation that the Bible is not reliable, gave a sound basis for rejecting the claims of religion.

I think we are now in a third phase when Church authority is being pushed back. It is only in the US where this is a real political battle. In Europe it was so gradual that nobody realised it and the Church still has a lot of credit that it doesn't deserve.

It is really the Fundamentalists (allied - indeed joined at the hip - to Right wing politics) that are the pushiest and the most dangerous. If (say) they were eliminated, then i don't doubt that we wouldn't be having this battle at all. The more reasonable Christians are - reasonable.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:15 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your leaders...some of whom are listed below...were not about live and let live.

Jerry Falwell
Jim Bakker
Ted Haggart
Jimmy Swaggert
Franklin Graham
Pat Robertson
Mike Huckabee
Mike Pence

Not to mention the overall "Moral Majority" and similar groups.
None of them are my leaders.

Huckabee and Pence are politicians, not pastors. The rest, I got no respect for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality