Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 05:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
How does science conflict with the idea that God exists outside time as we know it?
that isn't the what I am addressing.

I am saying we don't know of anything that exist out side of our universe. So why base any of the traits of your god on what is not known?

isn't it better to assign traits to your god that match observation?

The best claim we have is that you're god would have been born with the universe. That's really one the best position(s) we have today.

the question is why would, or do you have to, reject that idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 05:25 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. It's not my position, so I can't do it justice. I'm just telling you that I've heard that put forth. A more common view is that god used the big bang to create the universe. You can Google if you want.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
that isn't the what I am addressing.

I am saying we don't know of anything that exist out side of our universe. So why base any of the traits of your god on what is not known?

isn't it better to assign traits to your god that match observation?

The best claim we have is that you're god would have been born with the universe. That's really one the best position(s) we have today.

the question is why would, or do you have to, reject that idea?
Why is that the best claim? Who/what gave birth to God?

Old 05-27-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This would be my advice on answering this question...

Well, rather than being on the outside looking in...meaning using the intellect to figure this question out...
go to the source....go inside...know God...know His Nature, His Mind...
understand Him yourselves and it will all become clear. Forget books.
Have a direct experience of God or whatever you'd like to call the Creator, personally.
Bingo.
Be still.
well, lets not forget books. there is no need to relearn everything. But your point is valid.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Why is that the best claim? Who/what gave birth to God?
first, I said one of the best claims.

we don't know first cause. But the, to steal a phrase, brute fact is we are here now and it looks like we are in a system of life. I say its one of the best we have because to say we are in a system of non-life just does not, in any way, match observation.

we have no idea what started this universe, so why make a claim other than "I believe something started it."
There is nothing to really question from that point. That starting point is totally valid.

but my real question is jimmie, what is wrong with saying your god was born with the universe?

Old 05-27-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:

we don't know first cause. But the, to steal a phrase, brute fact is we are here now and it looks like we are in a system of life. I say its one of the best we have because to say we are in a system of non-life just does not, in any way, match observation.

we have no idea what started this universe, so why make a claim other than "I believe something started it."
There is nothing to really question from that point. That starting point is totally valid.

but my real question is jimmie, what is wrong with saying your god was born with the universe?
I’m good with that basic claim. Personally, I believe in the Christian God because I see humanity played out the way Christianity says: Man is flawed but God is love. Other religions require man to attain a level of morality unattainable.

If God was born from another source, then He really isn’t God. The creator is always greater than the created. Therefore, it is feasible that our creator exists on a higher plane than we humans.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:

No, you said the best claim... (post #81)

Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I’m good with that basic claim. Personally, I believe in the Christian God because I see humanity played out the way Christianity says: Man is flawed but God is love. Other religions require man to attain a level of morality unattainable.

If God was born from another source, then He really isn’t God. The creator is always greater than the created. Therefore, it is feasible that our creator exists on a higher plane than we humans.
yeah, thats the next question, why does it have to be anything other than what it is?

you are not human because you were born from another source? does it make you less human?

Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
yeah, thats the next question, why does it have to be anything other than what it is?

you are not human because you were born from another source? does it make you less human?
I believe humans were created by a higher power. From that point we beget more humans.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
No, you said the best claim... (post #81)
you are correct, my bad. let me correct it by saying its one of the best claims we have.

its certifiably better than deny-everything so theist can't use it and make atheism harder to sell. that one and died and rised for our sins aint even close to the most rational stances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality