Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ummmm. But that's the whole bloody point Thrill is making to you. We don't know what Jesus (if he even existed) said. We only know what anonymous Greek writers (writing some 100 years after the alleged events took place) CLAIM he said.
You guys don't know, you guys don't believe in God or the bible, of course you are going to think it's all made up, that is no surprize, and again, everything written was written by God, through men, and of course if there is really a God, he has all the power in the world to make what came out.

And again, all those parrables prove they were said and translated correctly but you can't see it, and that is no surpize either. Both of you can read the bible everyday and you's aint never gonna get it because you are reading a language you couldn't possibly understand.

Big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, it WAS a simple yes/no question, Hannibal. Let's just get that far and then we can talk about the rest. So

Are you're saying these Greek scholars who wrote the gospels knew this hidden secret language?

Yes or no would be nice. "I don't know" is fine, too but it doesn't strengthen your case, just be aware.
I am not understanding why you think you have a point, why just look at the Greek? What you are showing Christians doesn't mean anything Thrill, jus saying, there are plenty of good points an Atheist could make, that aint one of them.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lets see.

just using commonsense.

a guy like Jesus would send a person to eternal torment for not believing in him?
a guy like Jesus may hold some people accountable but not eternally?

a guy like Jesus would contain bad people until they have shown they have learned another way?
an area that contains all bad people might look exactly like hell? but its not eternal lock-up?

seems pretty straight forward to me.
Pick any parable you wish, and all of them are teaching the same thing,'' What you are.''

What you are has a son of perdition inside you, and he is the one to be taken from you in chains.

If you don't know what you are, and you don't know that you are of two minds, then how is somebody going to explain to you what Jesus said and meant?

It doesn't matter what parables you pick of Jesus or what story, they are all teaching how you have a son of perdition inside you that is an evil inclination and this evil inclination will be taken from you to the fire, and this is just symbolic of a person's transformation when his imaginations will no longer be evil.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:54 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte
Well, it WAS a simple yes/no question, Hannibal. Let's just get that far and then we can talk about the rest. So

Are you're saying these Greek scholars who wrote the gospels knew this hidden secret language?

Yes or no would be nice. "I don't know" is fine, too but it doesn't strengthen your case, just be aware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I am not understanding why you think you have a point, why just look at the Greek? What you are showing Christians doesn't mean anything Thrill, jus saying, there are plenty of good points an Atheist could make, that aint one of them.

Hannibal, if you know me at all you know I value forthrightness above all things. When I ask a simple question I'd like a simple answer to start and then we can get involved afterward. In this case, I asked about as simple a question as one can ask. All I needed is a yes or no. I even gave you a "I don't know" as an out. Instead you threw all this gobbledygook at me "I don't understand why you....."

If you don't want to answer that's fine, but I'd appreciate a simple, "I don't care to answer your question, Thrill." Simple as that.

You used to be a lot more playful to me in the past which was cute, but now I can see I'm starting to hit a nerve. And what I am telling people is NOT meaningless, as you so casually put it. It is something that frees them from the shackles of this oppressive Fundamentalist doctrine that weighs them down like an anchor. I'm sure quite a few are better off for the info I pass onto them.

You have different chains weighing you down, Hannibal. Being a Jew, you have this Old Testament mentality that everything man needs to live is contained in a book written by uneducated goat herders 3000 years ago when knowledge of the universe was nil. Go ahead believing there's something magical in its pages, but it's nothing more than a musty old holy book no better than the Veda of the Hindus or the Pali Canon of the Buddhists, offering some good points for living a good life and that's about all. Anything magical you think is in there is all in your mind or we'd all be reading it to get some of that magic.

Sorry but that's the reality of the situation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 06-27-2019, 10:58 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
You guys don't know, you guys don't believe in God or the bible, of course you are going to think it's all made up, that is no surprize, and again, everything written was written by God, through men, and of course if there is really a God, he has all the power in the world to make what came out.

And again, all those parrables prove they were said and translated correctly but you can't see it, and that is no surpize either. Both of you can read the bible everyday and you's aint never gonna get it because you are reading a language you couldn't possibly understand.

Big deal.
Ah! So it's No 2429 from the apologetics handbook is it - the old...'You couldn't possibly understand because you're not special' ploy.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 PM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:

Big deal.
I read the NT in it's original Greek. And your interpretation of what it means is wrong. Hebrews is quiet clear what it means by the temple, and it is not us.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:42 PM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Pick any parable you wish, and all of them are teaching the same thing,'' What you are.''
Parable of the sower is about the types of Christians and how many of them will fail in their beliefs.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:

What you are has a son of perdition inside you, and he is the one to be taken from you in chains.

If you don't know what you are, and you don't know that you are of two minds, then how is somebody going to explain to you what Jesus said and meant?

It doesn't matter what parables you pick of Jesus or what story, they are all teaching how you have a son of perdition inside you that is an evil inclination and this evil inclination will be taken from you to the fire, and this is just symbolic of a person's transformation when his imaginations will no longer be evil.
yeah ok, that seems rational enough. Jeus is symbolic when we are talking a god thing and what it will do to you. I am ok with that.

so jesus wouldn't send people to eternal hell if they do not believe in him. He only cares about people following love, compassion, and understanding.

areas that lack love compassion and understanding can seem like a hell to those that do. But, as a point of fact, there is no hell.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Parable of the sower is about the types of Christians and how many of them will fail in their beliefs.
parable of the sower is about all types of people.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah! So it's No 2429 from the apologetics handbook is it - the old...'You couldn't possibly understand because you're not special' ploy.
calling him apologetic doesn't prove him wrong.

Hannibal happens to be right. Jesus as a symbolic figure trying to help us over come the lower parts of the brain running the upper parts isn't wrong. Jesus as a symbolic figure trying to help us over come the lower parts of the brain running the upper parts isn't wrong because its apologetic.

we may not agree that we have to use it. But I guess if we approached it from using all the data the deny everything sect of atheism would fail. oh wait, it is failing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality