Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Trust me. We don't need any arguments to achieve that. It's done. It's a fact of nature. And the horror of that fact has kept them in a state of shocked denial.
"Shocked denial"? Really, is that what you think people will read into what I posted?
I don't know what you think that this kind of denunciation is getting you but to anyone comparing - in all humility - my post, with yours cosying up with Arach's bonehead bias can only think that you are doing your credibility and that of the religion you are batting for, no good at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"Shocked denial"? Really, is that what you think people will read into what I posted?
I don't know what you think that this kind of denunciation is getting you but to anyone comparing - in all humility - my post, with yours cosying up with Arach's bonehead bias can only think that you are doing your credibility and that of the religion you are batting for, no good at all.
my bias is no more bone headed than you trans.

look at how you lobed to stop comparing traits to god to the standard model. what bone headed reason do you have for that one?

Old 07-09-2019, 04:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
That's right. That's right. You and the others are absolutely correct.

By the way, isn't about time for your daily stroll around the grounds? You can walk anywhere you'd like, just stay within the fenced perimeter and don't go near the dangerous gate area, just as a reminder.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 PM

I'm taking a break from the grounds, which by the way we atheists need no permission to stroll around. We rather have come to occupy it.. It seems a bit quiet right now and I'm putting in some work, both on the Book and around the house, which needs it for a change, rather than sitting here telling people who don't listen the same things again and again.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:55 PM

If anyone wants my opinion, I don't care who the person is, but I don't think that anyone who would take an extreme atheistic position is doing himself any good. Anti-religion is scary. I don't even care if a person is an atheist, agnostic or whatever.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:10 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
If anyone wants my opinion, I don't care who the person is, but I don't think that anyone who would take an extreme atheistic position is doing himself any good. Anti-religion is scary. I don't even care if a person is an atheist, agnostic or whatever.

I'd like your opinion. What do you think about my assertion that Paul either lied, misled or committed a gigantic boner when he said that Jesus' resurrection was predicted in the Old Testament and then used Hosea 6:2 to assert his claim--a verse which refers to US, and has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus:

Quote:
After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will restore us, that we may live in his presence.

Paul's pretty shifty, isn't he, Ozzy?

Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Atheists only have one position, they do not believe in gods. The only extreme is how confident they are that gods do not exist.

Your anti-atheism is scary. You have to invent excuses to call us disgusting*; and when US atheists fight for freedom of religion, you attack them just because they are atheists.

Can we now finish with the personal attacks and get back to the subject.

* your memory problem will mean you have conveniently forgot, but I have not.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'd like your opinion. What do you think about my assertion that Paul either lied, misled or committed a gigantic boner when he said that Jesus' resurrection was predicted in the Old Testament and then used Hosea 6:2 to assert his claim--a verse which refers to US, and has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus:

Paul's pretty shifty, isn't he, Ozzy?
Very shifty. I noticed in Romans particularly that he argues out a theory of his own (for all that he suggests that he got his 'gospel' from God - and he certainly didn't get it from 'men'; that is, none of the theological take on Jesus' messianic mission and his execution came from the people who followed Jesus) and backs it up with OT quotes. But i noted when they were looked up, they meant something else.

One argument was about God giving the Jews the law because they were 'hard -hearted' and to make them More sinful so that Jesus could have a lot of sin to release them from and would (or had) turned from them to 'a people which were not his own'-the gentiles, to put the Jews to shame. He then points the fingers at the Jews, whose sacrifices he hates and how In Zion he has placed a rock for the teachers of the Law to stumble over. This leads him onto castigating those who sacrifice on altars of brick and in gardens. But look up the passage and it's the Gentiles being castigated here, not Jewish priests.

While i can only guess at Paul's mindset, I would have a theory......that what he is doing here is using scripture to back up his argument, as i said, and will allow anyone who wants to to see it as Scriptural proof of what he is arguing while, if anyone should call him on it, he can protest that he was only using it as a poetical illustration of what he was arguing.

Bottom lines are - it is all his own idea with No valid support in Scripture for his Pet theory and yes, he is tricky. Tricky in a way steeped with venerable tradition throughout the ages and carried on by those who presume to speak for God and the prayer -warriors who listen to their words and post here - Faith in the Rightness of whatever they have in their heads (Truth put there by God) and any evidence only serves the purpose of backing that bunch of Faith-claims up, and it doesn't matter whether it's true, quotemined or downright false, just so it supports the faith.

And conversely, any evidence, no matter how proven, factual and undeniable is mere human opinion, if it conflicts with the faith. Even what the Bible says, Folks.

At the outset of my career as an atheist apologist, hater of God and a willing Tool of Satan, I became aware of several facets of Theist apologetic thinking. One being the 'keyword' method, which involved skimming over a post, picking up a word or term and responding to that - even if the response had nothing to do with the point, because they hadn't taken in the argument because that would be dangerous. They do not listen, because they do not dare to.

There was also the astonishing indifference to being proved not only wrong, but dishonest. It doesn't matter. If that doesn't work, they will try something else. It's why debates evolve with dizzying speed (1). But I also became aware of the 'Ghost Bible'. Which is a Bible they have in their head and reflects what they would wish the Bible to say, as distinct from what it actually does say. The Slavery in the Bible argument points this up quite nicely. It was only later that i realised with some trepidation that this matches a Ghost America, which is an America with the Christian Flag flying over the Stars and stripes and the Constitution Interpreted as a document supporting a State religion.

(1) I'm reminded, not only of the caller into Atheist experience who had one argument clobbered said 'good point, good point..' and broached another subject and Matt had to stop him and ask him whether he accepted that he was wrong. Another was here in an 88 page debate about a Quotemine to the effect that 'Evolution is a fairy tale'. Repeated explanation of the quote in context (the idea of a particular fossil specimen as the 'missing link' ancestor of anybody, even on the species -level is a fantasy - so the person - a professor Hill as i recall - who said it was arguing. It's much more general indications of evolutionary lines) made no impression. He kept repeating the quote and claiming that is was an evolutionist revealing that evolution was a 'fairy tale'. Which may remind us of the apologist who looks up a usage in a dictionary and insist that we should adapt ourselves to this definition.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Very shifty. I noticed in Romans particularly that he argues out a theory of his own (for all that he suggests that he got his 'gospel' from God - and he certainly didn't get it from 'men'; that is, none of the theological take on Jesus' messianic mission and his execution came from the people who followed Jesus) and backs it up with OT quotes. But i noted when they were looked up, they meant something else.
Give one example. Just one.

Because I think he is spot on brilliant.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:31 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
Allow me to quote a mod from the locked thread. - //www.city-data.com/forum/55615300-post120.html

For he reasons stated above, we are taking this opportunity to [strongly] suggest that Arach and Harry from this time forth stop responding to each other. So I am no longer responding to you, and would appreciate you not misrepresenting why you was reported, sorry, not responding to me.

And your science theory is not outlawed, you are still free to post it in the science section, as I have pointed out to you for the last three years.

This hopefully is my last word to you on the matter.

Now can we please get back on the topic, which is not about you.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-10-2019 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality