Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:02 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

I've been pondering this question for awhile now, and I've yet to arrive at an answer other than "no." Wondering can that be true and if so, why?

Mormons were persecuted for example, but is there a term that describes people who harbor negative feelings about Mormons? Or Muslims? Not sure Islamophobia is the same or as unique. Lots of similar phobias, but antiSemitism is quite unique by comparison. AntiBuddhists? AntiChristians? AntiTibetans? Of course there is "racism" too, but is there any other term similar to antiSemitism related to any other religion or group?

Note: I am not an antiSemite by any means, and I'm not inviting any comments or sentiments along those lines. I am simply curious about how such a unique term came to be or whether there are other terms that similarly describe people who have general negative feeling about other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've been pondering this question for awhile now, and I've yet to arrive at an answer other than "no." Wondering can that be true and if so, why?

Mormons were persecuted for example, but is there a term that describes people who harbor negative feelings about Mormons? Or Muslims? Not sure Islamophobia is the same or as unique. Lots of similar phobias, but antiSemitism is quite unique by comparison. AntiBuddhists? AntiChristians? AntiTibetans? Of course there is "racism" too, but is there any other term similar to antiSemitism related to any other religion or group?

Note: I am not an antiSemite by any means, and I'm not inviting any comments or sentiments along those lines. I am simply curious about how such a unique term came to be or whether there are other terms that similarly describe people who have general negative feeling about other people.
Interesting thread.

From what I heard, over the years the definition of “anti Semitism” itself has been changed in the standard dictionaries where it got broader and broader in scope, and it became easy and easier to slam people with anti-Semitism tag if they voice their opinion that would attempt to criticize Jews and or Israel in the slightest way.

I wonder if there is way to find the definition of this word in a historical chronology?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Just a thought--you might want to ask this in the Writing forum. There are a lot of people there who like to discuss word usage and linguistics.

Anti-Semitism itself is a misnomer. Semites are not only Jewish.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:27 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
The history of the term indicates that it exists because someone coined it to mean something very specific and was in response to a trend and practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antise...logy_and_usage

It isn't about fear (so "phobia" is out) and it includes attitudes, beliefs, actions and ideas so it is broader than some of the other "anti" words out there.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just a thought--you might want to ask this in the Writing forum. There are a lot of people there who like to discuss word usage and linguistics.

Anti-Semitism itself is a misnomer. Semites are not only Jewish.
Thanks, but I wasn't so much interested in the answer to my question from just a linguistics, etymology or semantic standpoint though that too. I'm also not sure people in a writing forum will necessarily know the answer to my question as people more interested in religion, especially in light of how the term antiSemitism is so commonly used today with respect to a lot going on today. Not sure, or maybe another thread there too would be interesting to compare the interest and/or comments...

True, for example, the term is a misnomer since we should all know Semites includes other than Jews. Arabs too, but this is not really what interests me about my question with respect to how the term AntiSemite is so commonly used today and uniquely so.

I suspect I'll be satisfied with the input provided in this thread, from people with religious perspectives, or so I hope anyway, since religion in general has always been very interesting to me.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The history of the term indicates that it exists because someone coined it to mean something very specific and was in response to a trend and practice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antise...logy_and_usage

It isn't about fear (so "phobia" is out) and it includes attitudes, beliefs, actions and ideas so it is broader than some of the other "anti" words out there.
I read through your link just before posting my question, and no doubt a review of the history helps with the background. Thanks for your contribution(s) that I have always appreciated.

My question remains however. Are there similar terms "coined" or otherwise that apply to others like today antiSemitism is simply and commonly defined as follows?

an·ti-Sem·i·tism

hostility to or prejudice against Jews.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Seems the answer is for the most part, no. Right?

Why is that one has to wonder...

Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I read through your link just before posting my question, and no doubt a review of the history helps with the background. Thanks for your contribution(s) that I have always appreciated.

My question remains however. Are there similar terms "coined" or otherwise that apply to others like today antiSemitism is simply and commonly defined as follows?

an·ti-Sem·i·tism

hostility to or prejudice against Jews.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Seems the answer is for the most part, no. Right?

Why is that one has to wonder...
What is important to note is that the claim that the term is a misnomer because "semite" could refer to others ignores that the word was crafted with a specific use and intent in mind. "Black" can refer to a crayola crayon or a person in a dark room, but when we talk about "Black power" we are using it as it was intended, to refer to a particular group. That isn't a misnomer any more than using "Arab" to refer to people from the mideast who aren't specifically from the Arabian peninsula is a misnomer, or telling whites from Johannesburg who live in the US that they aren't what the questionnaires are referring to when they talk about "African Americans."

As to whether there are other terms, though the "phobia" part is not accurate, homophobia is similar. The other "phobia" terms (Islamaphobia, xenophobia etc) are also using "phobia" to refer to an "anti" sentiment even though the words refers only to an [irrational] fear of something.

IIRC correctly, there were terms like "anti-papists" to refer to sentiment against particular branches of Christianity.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
"Bigot" is an umbrella term that covers a lot of different haters.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
What is important to note is that the claim that the term is a misnomer because "semite" could refer to others ignores that the word was crafted with a specific use and intent in mind. "Black" can refer to a crayola crayon or a person in a dark room, but when we talk about "Black power" we are using it as it was intended, to refer to a particular group. That isn't a misnomer any more than using "Arab" to refer to people from the mideast who aren't specifically from the Arabian peninsula is a misnomer, or telling whites from Johannesburg who live in the US that they aren't what the questionnaires are referring to when they talk about "African Americans."

As to whether there are other terms, though the "phobia" part is not accurate, homophobia is similar. The other "phobia" terms (Islamaphobia, xenophobia etc) are also using "phobia" to refer to an "anti" sentiment even though the words refers only to an [irrational] fear of something.

IIRC correctly, there were terms like "anti-papists" to refer to sentiment against particular branches of Christianity.
What you explain is important to note and duly noted, though I can't say I was not aware of what you are explaining here...

Very simply, would you agree I am mostly correct to believe there is really no other word to describe dislike of a group of people like the word antiSemitism is used today with Jewish people? (Regardless how it came about). Not sure, but it seems you are confirming my belief along those lines. Ironic too, would you also not agree, that despite all you explain, Jewish people seem most apt to use the word very often, most frequently. Sometimes with good argument the accusation is justified. A little too often not really in my opinion.

My wife and I recently began watching a show we really enjoy, called "The Amazing Mrs. Maisel," and just last night's episode included the father of the Jewish family accusing someone of being an antiSemite. For a misnomer, the word sure does get a lot of air time these days. Again or another reason I got to wondering if there was such a word used to describe the dislike of any other group of people.

Seems the answer is no and as such rather unique.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Misogynist also has narrowly-defined parameters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality