Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 04:18 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,813,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Faith is Not a virtue.
They both - Ozzy and Mystic - have things they refuse to believe on faith and so create their own denomination of religion and sneer at those who have different beliefs they way they sneer at those who have none.
Both peddle what is claimed on faith as known as a fact and project their own monumental arrogance onto any who think differently.
You're wrong about that. I have repeatedly said that there could be other religious paths to the same kind of faith that I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Really? Enlighten us. Most Christians in Latin America are Catholics. Fundamentalism is an American invention. List some of these churches you refer to. Post links.

Let me ask you again. Did you really THINK about this (and do a little research) before you decided to start this thread, or did you just have a thought pop into your head and so you started the thread.
If you TRULY think that the only fundamentalist or evangelical Christians in the world are English speaking, then you are way out of touch. If anything English is the minority in this regard. No, I'm not going to post links. I'm kind of bothered by the lack of knowledge some atheists have, to tell you the truth.

Maybe atheists would benefit attending churches more often with the label of Seeker. Maybe they aren't even aware of the spiritual benefits awaiting them.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:32 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We inhabit physical bodies that are the production facility for our embryo Spirit but our Spirit does not even reside in our body.
That's because it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nonsense. Science does NOT know where our consciousness resides because it is NOT "matter," ....
Consciousness is not a thing that is separate and apart from the brain. Consciousness is simply chemical interactions in the brain and nothing more.

Once those chemical interactions cease or are impeded, as they often are due to brain injury whether it is the result of concussive force, actual blunt force trauma or projectile force or disease of the brain including strokes, consciousness ceases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It sounds like you think the Truth can only be known by intellectuals.
Well, it does require intelligence.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:16 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,300,613 times
Quote:
If you TRULY think that the only fundamentalist or evangelical Christians in the world are English speaking, then you are way out of touch. If anything English is the minority in this regard. No, I'm not going to post links. I'm kind of bothered by the lack of knowledge some atheists have, to tell you the truth.

Maybe atheists would benefit attending churches more often with the label of Seeker. Maybe they aren't even aware of the spiritual benefits awaiting them.
Why churches and not mosques, synagogues, vision quests, kingdom halls or coven?

Perhaps you should seek the benefits you may gain if you went to them.

Just what is the benefit you promote if we were to attend a church service? If it would make us a better person, or a kinder more loving person then why doesn't that work on those already attending? Especially what comes from the posts of folks such as yourself or those who claim to be Bible Believers there is nothing to be gained spiritual 9r otherwise by being more like them or you. In fact I would be very disappointed in myself if I was more like you and them.

The fact that you suggested we attend a fundamentalist church in a language we don't understand so that we could understand the Bible is proof that you promote nonsense and ignorance.

Many atheists were at one time very religious. You must already know that. What would they gain by returning to the place they already rejected. Anything other than for you to feel smug about yourself?

Sorry but from your posting record on CD I cannot see me taking any advice from you seriously. There are some Christians that post on these threads that if they invited me to attend a service with them I would accept. You are not one of those good people.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:12 PM

50,450 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:

And maybe we already did that and finally put it behind us.

But in that vein, how many atheist meetings have you attended so that you could better understand atheism?

Old 07-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

But in that vein, how many atheist meetings have you attended so that you could better understand atheism?
I attended some freethinking groups a few years ago when I first left the church. It was a lot like the atheists in the forum. NOW do you understand why I returned to Christianity.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:54 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,576,462 times
Quote:
You're wrong about that. I have repeatedly said that there could be other religious paths to the same kind of faith that I have.
You did? But i also remember that you walked out of a church because what it taught was not in accordance with what you believed.
Quote:

That is pretty transparently a claim that you made that you can't back up, so it means that you claim of fundamentalist churches other than English-speaking is without validity. It's not the first time believers have been called on assertions and have been unable to back it up and have reverted to the infamous "I'm not here to educate you" tactic that may have enabled them to avoid admitting they were wrong, but lost them credibility. Just as by arguing that we should 'Find out' by brainwashing ourselves into faith rather than expect any decent evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

How many atheists is he even listening to here? He must have three arms as he manages to stuff two fingers in his ears while pointing another at us.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-21-2019 at 10:03 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I attended some freethinking groups a few years ago when I first left the church. It was a lot like the atheists in the forum. NOW do you understand why I returned to Christianity.
Yes, it would appear that you are not a free-thinker.

Is there something wrong with being a free-thinker (definition: a person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief)?

Old 07-21-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You've said that repeatedly? I must have missed quite a few posts. Or are you just saying different paths in terms of Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, etc.?

Old 07-21-2019, 10:11 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,576,462 times
Quote:
I think that we can guess. It wasn't for any evidence-based or logical reason, i would bet, but an emotional one. You wanted to believe and so you persuaded yourself to, and now you want us to do the same. Sorry, we need a better reason to Believe than wanting to, let alone making us work at wanting to.

Back in my gainful employment days, I became aware of Evangelical hobbyists. These are people who would urge me to take an interest in something they liked. I would answer that it is not possible to pursue interest in everything. Thus on a list of possible interests, the ones i already liked came first and those i would have work hard to get interested in came way down on the list.

I trust that you get the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality