Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 12:25 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that dozens of fundamentalists have atheist/agnostic/anti-Jesus posters on "Ignore". It's almost as if they're so afraid the things the anti-Christian crowd are saying is going to start making so much sense to them that they'll start to feel doubts tugging at their fragile faith. And that scares the holy hell out of them. The only way they can stop these nagging doubts from exploding into full-blown disbelief in Jesus is to block anyone who talks reality to them--life jeffbase here. How many have you got on "Ignore", jeff because they started making too much sense to you??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 12:26 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I think it is usually the first, the thoughts of people like BF and Jeff are so much about their god that it crushes other ideas such as a memorial that is neutral about religion.

There may be people who want to make inroads, but it makes no sense to do it here when you can get more results doing this at level of the government.
I wasn't thinking of here, much less Jeff doing it, but the constant stream of commandments in courthouses, prayers in government institutions, bucking the law over religious Dogma. I always remember with amusement the hysteria about a teacher denounced by a schoolkid for 'Questioning God' in a school exercise. The believers were in an uproar about it until it was known that she was a Christian trying to make the pupils think about God (which she shouldn't have been doing anyway). The immediate silence was the most profound since,that following the joyous clamour about Jesus' sarcophagus in the Talpiot tomb - until they realised, it that was true, he hadn't risen from the dead.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:09 AM

144 posts, read 103,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So we should just stay silent while atheists chisel away our religious freedom piece by piece? Eventually it will get to where we can only practice our faith inside our minds.

Sigh. Well, thanks for proving my point about your persecution complex. It's been said by the other posters, but I'll say it again. NOBODY is trying to take away your religious freedom. That's all in your fear addled mind.

American christians have not lost one bit of freedom, nor have you suffered the least bit of persecution. You have the freedom to believe and worship as you see fit in your homes and churches. If you disagree with something the government does, you have the freedom to make your complaints heard and even peacefully protest like every one of your fellow Americans has. But for some strange reason, instead of being happy with being treated equally with your neighbors, your mind has interpreted that as having your christian freedoms taken away.

If you don't like the fact that the SCOTUS has ruled that religious monuments are not to be placed on public property, fine, say so. But it's utterly ridiculous to equate that with taking away your religious freedom.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:19 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So are religious residents now classed as atheists? For all one knows it may have been the voices if those religious residents that was listened to. And even if the cit dis listen to the voices of atheists, it was more than one and they were not alone.

Surely the concerns of these other religious residents have a right to have the law enforced? BaptistFundie stated that the Supreme Court rulings were wrong but how do you overrule a Supreme Court verdict. They may make mistakes (Dred Scott for sure) but doesn't it take a new ruling to overturn 8t not just a poster on the Internet.

So the actual title of this tgread is misleading or outright false. Maybe it should be atheists and religious people .......? Maybe a Christian was one of those religious resident that was upset.
To Jeff, anyone who isn't 100% into the fundamentalist Kool-Aid is an atheist.

Funny how they say the community should be able to make a decision, but when they make a decision against their beliefs (which also happens to be the correct and lawful decision), all of a sudden the community shouldn't be able to do that... They are hypocrites, each and every one of them.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I find it interesting that dozens of fundamentalists have atheist/agnostic/anti-Jesus posters on "Ignore". It's almost as if they're so afraid the things the anti-Christian crowd are saying is going to start making so much sense to them that they'll start to feel doubts tugging at their fragile faith. And that scares the holy hell out of them. The only way they can stop these nagging doubts from exploding into full-blown disbelief in Jesus is to block anyone who talks reality to them--life jeffbase here. How many have you got on "Ignore", jeff because they started making too much sense to you??????

I have quite a few on my list only because they were so vile in attacking me personally and trash talk instead of having a civil discussion. It has nothing to do with being afraid of their arguments.
OTOH, I"ve gone toe to toe with Badlander for years. He has come close to making the list, but at least he is not overtly nasty like 90s or Wander who told me to go burn in hell.

The irony is that their behavior only proves that I'm on the side of truth.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:12 AM

But it has been noted that what really went down is that you made claims, they were shown to be without validity (as in your accusation of atheism here when it was a administrative decision, applying the law) and having no response but denial and accusation of atheists being hateful and abusive, you overreact because it gives you the only weapon you have to attack atheism.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:13 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoAmero View Post
Sigh. Well, thanks for proving my point about your persecution complex. It's been said by the other posters, but I'll say it again. NOBODY is trying to take away your religious freedom. That's all in your fear addled mind.

American christians have not lost one bit of freedom, nor have you suffered the least bit of persecution. You have the freedom to believe and worship as you see fit in your homes and churches. If you disagree with something the government does, you have the freedom to make your complaints heard and even peacefully protest like every one of your fellow Americans has. But for some strange reason, instead of being happy with being treated equally with your neighbors, your mind has interpreted that as having your christian freedoms taken away.

If you don't like the fact that the SCOTUS has ruled that religious monuments are not to be placed on public property, fine, say so. But it's utterly ridiculous to equate that with taking away your religious freedom.
When a coach can't even say a nice prayer for his team, that's a pretty significant restriction of freedom of religion. When the demand is that we must hide any reference to our faith on public property, that's a pretty significant restriction of freedom of religion. There is already a push to label pastor's sermons as hate speech and block that too.

It's pretty sad when the only comeback you have is that we are imagining the reality that is happening.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:14 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
I have quite a few on my list only because they were so vile in attacking me personally and trash talk instead of having a civil discussion. It has nothing to do with being afraid of their arguments.
OTOH, I"ve gone toe to toe with Badlander for years. He has come close to making the list, but at least he is not overtly nasty like 90s or Wander who told me to go burn in hell.

The irony is that their behavior only proves that I'm on the side of truth.
I am not sure if I should feel complimented or insulted by being told I am not overtly nasty? ☺

I am only joking

Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
When a coach can't even say a nice prayer for his team, that's a pretty significant restriction of freedom of religion. When the demand is that we must hide any reference to our faith on public property, that's a pretty significant restriction of freedom of religion. There is already a push to label pastor's sermons as hate speech and block that too.

It's pretty sad when the only comeback you have is that we are imagining the reality that is happening.
But you'd be screaming blue murder if it was any prayer but a Christian one. Though you'll probably deny it and say that you won't mind if they had an Imam have the team pray to Allah. It's funny because each post you make, though to you it looks like making a fair and reasonable point about eroding Christian privilege - the topic of the tread after all - you are simply exhibiting how your belief that Christian control and authority over American social life is good and right, and because increasing numbers of people can see that it is unethical, unhealthy and often unconstitutional, the more you post, the more you hurt your own case while thinking that you are helping it.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:20 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,592,637 times
Quote:

Seriously?

How does that coach know that all team members want to hear that prayer? What if there are Jews there? Or Atheists? Or Hindus? Why should they have to take part in a taxpayer funded coach make a christian prayer? What special privilege is invoked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality