Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 10:07 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The Hittites-as yet another Canaanite tribe- were considered real.

What about the Cellulites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
My answer to that particular apologetic ca-ca has always been...

For a moment I thought you were Porky Pig saying, "My answer to that particular apologetic ca..ca..ca...nonsense..."

Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 PM

50,817 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Ah yes, I know them well.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ah yes, I know them well.

Oh, they didn't go extinct then?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,827 times
Quote:
Oh! I think you're one of the good guys. Sorry about my rude tone. I only apologize to doubters.
No worries. I think I did cause an argument in a previous post and sorry if I did. Have a good day.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Don't forget the Girgash*tes?

The Girga****es

Old 08-05-2019, 12:14 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Hey, don't knock the Cellulitus - I once had them in my leg. They're life threatening! Or leg threatening. And all it took to upset them was a bump.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I have my doubts that it is the site, but even if it was then Moses would have got rid of the carved images of the calves. I have little knowledge of what Ancient Arabia was like.
I have a lot more doubts, but they mainly relate to Wyatt's claims than the later adherents. But there's a lot more: like Egypt controlling the Sinai and Canaan at that time. The Jews who wrote Exodus didn't know that. To them, Egypt's authority ended at the East of the Delta.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
I am not trying to debunk fundamentalists' long-held beliefs. That would be impossible to do. I'd have an easier job of it jumping to the moon. What I am trying to do is to warn off the silent newbies who frequent these boards and who are contemplating joining Christianity to actually see the archeological and historical evidence that Christianity is a pack of lies--a house of cards built on beach sand. No one who wants to join a religion should join it because they are fooled by cunning desperate ministers into believing that it is the one true religion founded by the true divine son of God named Jesus.

If people want to join Christianity they should do it because it offers some good tips for living, not because they fear eternal damnation and they think Jesus can save their souls. He can't. It's all pure mythological hogwash.
People become Christians for many reasons. Some people are drawn strongly to belief, and often their faith causes them inconvenience and peril. They spend time in prayer and contemplation. Some, like Dietrich Bonhoeffer have sacrificed their lives. You can’t dismiss faith as a way to lead an easier life. Far from it.

I think it best to allow people to find their own spiritual paths.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I have my doubts that it is the site, but even if it was then Moses would have got rid of the carved images of the calves. I have little knowledge of what Ancient Arabia was like.
That's a good thought but an apologist would argue that the pile of boulders is the demolition-job that Moses did. One can always come up with an apologetic. While Ancient Arabia is not as well known as Babylon or Egypt, that doesn't alter the fact that it looks like pile of boulders, they are carved with graffiti that looks to be the same sort of thing and that One carving of a bovine was selected for a cherry -picked shot to support the claim of the 'Calf altar'. In fact it doesn't. No more than the spit stone really supports the exodus, nor the Boundary - claim, nor the blackened mountains, Solomon's supposed inscribed pillars (1) or indeed Anything of the supposed 'evidence' for the Jebl laws site of the 'Moses' camp.

(1) Wyatt claimed that these were put up by Solomon on each bank of the Red Sea to commemorate the crossing. First, of course, that Solomon may have put up commemorative pillars at what he thought was the crossing - point would not prove that it was. Though it would make for an early tradition to the story (which I think was written during the Exilic period) and it was highly fishy that the 'inscribed pillar' of the East side vanished (claimed to be removed by the Authorities), but the 'inscription' only appears in the English translation, and there is no reproduction of the inscription which any half-reputable archaeologist ought to do, let alone a photograph. However there pillar (column) is on the West side - but has no inscription - not a trace, which was explained as having eroded away. At this point anyone not seeing a very fishy story must have their eyes screwed shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality