Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 11:25 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
One of the things that many people cannot get their head around, is a punishment that lasts FOREVER.
What on earth could anyone do, to warrant such a punishment?
It really makes no sense, and is simply beyond comprehension.
Many people that have experienced Hell on the other side (through NDE's etc), have said that this was just, and the punishment for their sin, whatever that may be, was perfectly justified.
Is this just an extreme case of Stockholm Syndrome?
How could anyone not object to it?
If there is not a universal bridge, or an area of penance and purification, then God is building one hell of a big Hell. (no pun intended)
Good thing the Bible doesn't teach eternal hell fire. What one hears from the pulpit doesnt match what the Bible says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:58 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
what about the eternal fire and the place of wailing and gnashing teeth?

Old 08-12-2019, 06:20 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Good thing the Bible doesn't teach eternal hell fire. What one hears from the pulpit doesnt match what the Bible says.
Then your god is also not eternal.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I notice you say "they". I was asking about you.

Come on now. Your christian ego tells you you're one of the special ones. Right?
Heck, that's ALL this poster ever says. "I am special and chosen and the rest of you are not."

Sometimes he moves the words around, but it is ALL HE EVER POSTS.

I guess we are supposed to clap or something? Or say, "Gee I wish I were him"?

Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Then your god is also not eternal.

This is a stupid argument, if the Greek word in question does not express eternity but God's acting within time this does not mean that God is not eternal, the Bible also calls God the God of Israel, this does not mean that God is not the God of all peoples and neither does it mean that Israel means the world as some argue with "eternal".

Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
This is a stupid argument, if the Greek word in question does not express eternity but God's acting within time this does not mean that God is not eternal, the Bible also calls God the God of Israel, this does not mean that God is not the God of all peoples and neither does it mean that Israel means the world as some argue with "eternal".
It has nothing to do with this god acting within time, it is to do with the Adjecktiv that describes this god; an eternal god that promises an eternal afterlife, living in eternal living places, eternal comfort, an eternal salvation, an eternal covenant, an eternal inheritance.

The only time it does not mean eternal is in the phrase before the times of ages, even though it is often translated time eternal, as the plural here shows.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The Scripture I quoted clearly shows otherwise. Nevertheless, the fact that God is love (1 John 4:8) is very true.
Well it's not a "fact" is it. If it were a fact you would be able to support your claim with verifiable evidence - and you can't. So it's not a "fact". It's a belief.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:10 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It has nothing to do with this god acting within time, it is to do with the Adjecktiv that describes this god; an eternal god that promises an eternal afterlife, living in eternal living places, eternal comfort, an eternal salvation, an eternal covenant, an eternal inheritance.

The only time it does not mean eternal is in the phrase before the times of ages, even though it is often translated time eternal, as the plural here shows.

You're German, we can discuss this via PM?

I tend to say both the Hebrew and Greek text is void of a word that means "eternal" in the modern sense, eternity after all is rather a philosopical than a biblical term at all.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:33 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well it's not a "fact" is it. If it were a fact you would be able to support your claim with verifiable evidence - and you can't. So it's not a "fact". It's a belief.
All the evidence is out there, and it's available to you at the click of a mouse. The issue is the heart, not the facts. The flesh is at enmity with God (Romans 8:7). I can't convert the one who doesn't want to be converted. I only wish God would grant you repentance.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:57 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
What a betrayal of your false position. In one line you cite all the information out there- which we have to find for ourselves, YOU're not going to bother to make a case.

In the next, Facts are irrelevant. It is Faith that matters. Well, we have done the research and the facts do not support the faith. As you betrayed, your position needs you to ignore the facts and rely on faith.

You 'pray' that Raffs (and a few others) may find 'repentance'. Fingers crossed, eh? With any luck online evangelism have covered all the keywords and so we will only get One Side of the argument.

The Lee Strobel type of evangelical vid that purports to give the results of an honest, open -minded search for the evidence - and then gives only the Christian side, and a pretty closed minded one at that.

The way it ought to work is the facts first, and following whee the evidence leads. If it stacks up really well, then you might risk a little faith. Our job is to give the facts that the religious side doesn't. In fact they deny the facts if they don't suit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality