Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 07:42 PM

63,505 posts, read 39,800,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
"soul" does not achieve anything. It is not intelligent to accomplish that. It is not self conscious to have any accomplishment, as accomplishment presumes intelligent aim in it, self conscious aim.

Conscious Self or, better off, part of it that contacts physical body on Earth, has to learn how to think without producing thoughts. As thoughts produce Destiny for that Self. Destiny keeps Self returning, as It has to resolve Its Destiny down to the last thought.

After thinking that results in thoughts seizes, Destiny resolves and Self returns to its immortal body in The Realm of Permanence.

Never forget one indisputable fact.
Thought precedes EVERYTHING.

Likely not the best way to put it, but I'll quote Sadhguru:

You are here
And your mind is over there.

Otherwise, Brahman is not a god. Entire Hinduism is more of philosophy, than religion. It's just that human minds can't get past anthropocentric thinking resulting in "goddizing" anything and everything it can't simply grasp. Or, there are always aliens. Such concepts can't really be explained and rationally understood. They can only be "connected" to. Become in symbiosis with.

Ask the enlightened ones. Don't repeat dead scrolls. They are dead. Direct union with is the only way to grasp such concepts.
I am just explaining Brahmanism and its relationship to the Hindu beliefs. IF you don't agree, take it up with those who are Brahman or Hindu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 08:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 6,919,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am just explaining Brahmanism and its relationship to the Hindu beliefs. IF you don't agree, take it up with those who are Brahman or Hindu.
What is Brahmanism? There is no such thing in Hindu belief. Actually there is no one single Hindu belief. If you really want to understand Hindu philosophy and system of beliefs you need to understand the Sanskrit terms. There are no equivalent terms in English.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:04 PM

50,377 posts, read 23,969,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What is Brahmanism? There is no such thing in Hindu belief. ...
I'm not clear why you say that. There are dozens of articles on it.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I seem to have made a mistake. I thought they were the same.

(Quick-and-dirty-answers)..."Many Hindus believe in Brahman as the ultimate reality – one 'Supreme Spirit' in many forms. Brahman is male, female and even animal. Brahman is also commonly understood as the Trimurti - three gods with three key functions: Brahma - the source of all creation." I can perhaps be forgiven for thinking that Brahman was 'Bramah' elevated to Cosmic -mindness.

And I am sure that Krishna in some dogma is considered to be Everything.

It's relevant to look up 'the universe in Krishna's mouth'.
Brahman, the universal spirit, is not only beyond gender, it is beyond time and space, beyond description.
Hinduism has no dogma.
Krishna avatar is indeed Vishnu. Vaishnavism is different from advaita or dualism

If you are interested in learning about Hinduism it would help to know the terms in Sanskrit. What is cosmic- mindness?

Old 07-28-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not clear why you say that. There are dozens of articles on it.
Then please explain in 2 sentence what it is or state the Sanskrit term.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:18 PM

63,505 posts, read 39,800,339 times
Quote:
What is Brahmanism? There is no such thing in Hindu belief. Actually, there is no one single Hindu belief. If you really want to understand Hindu philosophy and system of beliefs you need to understand the Sanskrit terms. There are no equivalent terms in English.
Clearly, you do not realize that Hinduism is a derivative of Brahmanism, probably much like so many Christians do not realize that they are derivatives of Catholicism.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Then please explain in 2 sentence what it is or state the Sanskrit term.
cb, I don't know a lot about the Hindu. I asked you a question. If you don't want to answer it...then don't.

When you google Brahmanism you get 2.3 million hits, and many are from fairly scholarly sources.

So I ask again how you can say it doesn't exist.

I'm not arguing. I'm asking you a simple question.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
cb, I don't know a lot about the Hindu. I asked you a question. If you don't want to answer it...then don't.

When you google Brahmanism you get 2.3 million hits, and many are from fairly scholarly sources.

So I ask again how you can say it doesn't exist.

I'm not arguing. I'm asking you a simple question.
This is the first time I have come across this term, so please forgive me, I am not trying to be snarky. The way I would understand Brahmanism would be the caste system that keeps Brahmins, those belonging to that caste, as privileged and as a distinct, superior species, or jati. Reducing Hinduism and all its philosophies to that would be rediculous. You can say Brahminism is a political position, not spiritual.

Maybe we can have a better discussion if both understand the term we are discussing. So tell me what YOU understand Brahminism to be from what you have read.

Hindu philosoph, the different branches and texts, ways of worship and living, are complicated. It is challenging to sort it out. But that is what also makes it facinating and meaningful to me. I find it is best to read the original texts in Sanskrit and the lectures on those texts written by various authors, such as Sankara.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Clearly, you do not realize that Hinduism is a derivative of Brahmanism, probably much like so many Christians do not realize that they are derivatives of Catholicism.
Clearly I don't. I did not think Hinduism is derived from Brhmanism, actually the other way around. Hindu philosophies are derived from the Vedas.
If there is a term for Brahminism in Sanskrit it would be Brahmanatvam which means being Brahman, one of the caste, Varna, jati.
What to do YOU mean by Brahmanism?
It is best not to compare Christianity and Hinduism although ultimately what Jesus taught is the same as what the Upanishds say as well. No conflict.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
This is the first time I have come across this term, so please forgive me, I am not trying to be snarky. The way I would understand Brahmanism would be the caste system that keeps Brahmins, those belonging to that caste, as privileged and as a distinct, superior species, or jati. Reducing Hinduism and all its philosophies to that would be rediculous. You can say Brahminism is a political position, not spiritual.

Maybe we can have a better discussion if both understand the term we are discussing. So tell me what YOU understand Brahminism to be from what you have read.

Hindu philosoph, the different branches and texts, ways of worship and living, are complicated. It is challenging to sort it out. But that is what also makes it facinating and meaningful to me. I find it is best to read the original texts in Sanskrit and the lectures on those texts written by various authors, such as Sankara.
Well excuse us common folk who can't read Sanskrit. I guess you don't want much of a discussion when only about 25,000 people in the world are fluent in Sanskrit. I wonder how many people on City-Data can meet your standard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality