Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 12:45 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,495,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Curious...does that seem wild, ridiculous, silly or unimaginable
that anyone would 'believe' this?

(I went off on a tangent here...between you and me.)
Reminds me of a talk I had with my mother in the '70s after seeing some hippie thing on TV...
maybe some peace signs against a backdrop of a Concert...barefoot, tie-dyed clothes, ya know
I said, " Mom, you have no idea what these kids are about do you, why they act this way..." (I was a kid myself.)
She very seriously and sincerely said, " No, I don't."

So, I explained to her what our generation saw...how our dreams were different than those
coming out of WWII....our search for happiness obviously was not in the material.
We had an enlightening chat...even brought up what Timothy Leary meant to
us...the Baby Boomers...the Eastern Guru's sweeping the country, etc.

This thing that some see the 'entire Cosmos within or as Krishna's body'...or that the entire Universe
is within us (sometimes experienced as Krishna, also) is a very real 'event' that effects many.
I could talk about my own..lol, but, never HERE! (Sans drugs.)
I would compare it to a person who actually has Jesus appear right in front of them and talk to them...
I know some...and are they ever changed and turned into Jesus freaks extraordinaire~!
(Not Bible Fundies)
Worship? Wow. Being with them is like a contact high. Nothing compares to direct, mind-blowing exp.
Well it does to me, but I'm a goddless bastard so what's my opinion worth? No. I was commenting of the other discussion with Cb about Krishna being regarded in some Hindu Doctrine as being the Cosmic spirit, as happened with YHWH and in fact Zeus - if it hadn't been obliterated by Christianity before the 6th Century.

Your quotes were perfectly selected to illustrate that point. of course, there are apologetics excuses out of that (1) but the point is as least justified by ancient Hindo scripture.

(1) we are all equally 'the cosmos', but Krishna was wisest and could show it in a miracle or at least metaphor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've been studying world religions for about 30 years. Started as a teenager. I know what they teach, and I know what the Bible teaches. I don't know the finer details of every religion, nor do I need to know that the only true God is the God of the Bible.
You do if you are going to peddle Christianity to anyone else. Otherwise you'd see it as irrelevant whichever religion people use to get to god (the rule is Lower case). I'm surprised you need that pointed out.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
No reason at all. There are many many books you can read and derive pleasure and knowledge from.

But the poetry in The Gita is beautiful and also it has some pretty amazing passages. The dialog between Arjuna and Krishna about action is quite interesting and thought provoking. It provides answers to many of life's questions to ponder. And the evil of war and why Krishna still urges Arjuna to fight and not put his weapons down. Read to be lifted to another universe, to a different time dimension. That's all.
Indeed. I'm quite charmed by the Bhaghavad Gita, more so than by the Bible- or even the Tripitaka. That is fine if one is going to appreciate it culturally and the extent of the Ramakien (Thai version) over Asia is astonishing -even in Islamic Indonesia. One can possibly find it an inspiration for life (as is often used as justification for having the Bible inflicted upon us) though i would be Very cautious about deriving guidance for life from ancient books and would rather trust current humanist ethics. And of course none of that has anything to do with whether there are gods or not.

And you folks all know what I'm going to do

Nobody has to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMdE3fbBp_0

Java, (Hotel Law performance for tourists) popular scene where the golden deer lures Rama away so that the 'Demon King' can grab his wife.
Compare thai versions and the Myanmar version.

I recall in my 1980 visits, Burma Ramayana was all but dead. but it has since had a revival.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-03-2019 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2019, 12:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,214,293 times
Whoever offers me with devotion and a pure mind, a leaf, a flower, a fruit
or a little water – I accept.
Whatever thou doest, whatever thou eatest, whatever thou offerest in
sacrifice, whatever thou givest, whatever thou practisest as austerity, O
Arjuna, do it as an offering unto me.

Ch 9:26-7

Old 08-12-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Whoever offers me with devotion and a pure mind, a leaf, a flower, a fruit
or a little water – I accept.
Whatever thou doest, whatever thou eatest, whatever thou offerest in
sacrifice, whatever thou givest, whatever thou practisest as austerity, O
Arjuna, do it as an offering unto me.

Ch 9:26-7
Doesn't that remind me of Matthew 10:42 "And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only, in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.”
(see also Mark 9 41 though it is 'anyone' not the 'little ones' giving not receiving. in fact Matthew reverses the meaning, so that the unbeliever being rewarded for treating Christians nicely becomes the Christian being rewarded for giving water to the kiddies. Luke doesn't seem to have the passage at all. And of course, not in John).

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-12-2019 at 06:28 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 04:16 PM

3,745 posts, read 2,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You do if you are going to peddle Christianity to anyone else. Otherwise you'd see it as irrelevant whichever religion people use to get to god (the rule is Lower case). I'm surprised you need that pointed out.
Agreed.
It's the same as trying to convert a different Denomination into your brand of Christianity. (and that includes Non-Denominational for those Christians who think they are not in a "Religion" per se).
There is no point in simply thinking they are lost, in a cult, that they are brainwashed and indoctrinated etc.
Otherwise the one you are trying to convert will have exactly the same opinions of you.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Agreed. I don't believe that any one religion has it Right and the others wrong. They may all (or many) have hit on some ineffable truth - i can't claim that they haven't. But i am pretty sure that no one wisdom is any more true - or less- - than another.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,214,293 times
Ch 9 v 4-5

By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded.
All beings are in Me, but I am not in them. (Another translation: I am not supported by them.)

And yet, the living beings do not abide in Me. Behold the mystery of My divine energy!
Although I am the Creator and Sustainer of all living beings, I am not influenced by them or by material nature.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 AM

11,906 posts, read 6,484,225 times
Nice read, Miss Hepburn.
Thank you for taking the time to write all those quotes!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:56 AM

11,906 posts, read 6,484,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Doesn't that remind me of Matthew 10:42 "And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only, in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.”
(see also Mark 9 41 though it is 'anyone' not the 'little ones' giving not receiving. in fact Matthew reverses the meaning, so that the unbeliever being rewarded for treating Christians nicely becomes the Christian being rewarded for giving water to the kiddies. Luke doesn't seem to have the passage at all. And of course, not in John).

Nice find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality