Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
As to why the Bible became the standard bearer of the long mythological tradition dating back to the Sumerian civilization, I would say the principal actor was Constantine, whose conversion was the Bible's "breakout moment".
There is much debate as to whether Constantine converted to Christianity. He remained head of the Pagan church until the day he died and there is nothing relating to Christianity on his memorials. Probably, the fact that he legalised Christianity gave it the kickstart and Theodosius I making it the religion of the Empire, allowing Christians to persecute and kill anyone that disagreed, was the nail in the coffin for other religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:43 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Eastern Roman Empire documented it. So did the Arabic Muslim Empire and the Persian Empire. It's not my fault you don't read those works or that no one in an English-speaking country has bothered to translate them into English.

The Irish were not the only people on Earth who could read or write.

The most you can say is that the Irish were the only people in the British Isles documenting anything.
So you "double down" with the same sort of bent while obviously you don't know what books I've read. As if I don't know about the history you mention? Do you know how many world history books I have read? Never mind...

Obviously this ONE book I mention doesn't prove every stitch of history would have been lost if not for the Irish. You are battling windmills! (Read that book? Know what that means?). What is covered, however, (not that you have any interest in what you DON'T know), the effort to translate from foreign languages was part of the challenge the Irish also took on. Just FYI, this from one review...

"Ireland’s historical openness and interest in competing ideas allowed this tide of learning to have a great breadth, “they brought into their libraries everything they could lay their hands on. They were resolved to shut out nothing. Thus, as the Dark Ages began and the burgeoning Irish monastic communities began to disperse throughout continental Europe they brought their coveted books with them. Many of which had been lost to continental Europe during the fall of Rome and barbarian and the Germanic pillaging sprees. Cahill argues that it was through this preservation of Western European civilization through books that the Irish essentially saved civilization."

No need to defend the Arabic Muslim or the Persian Empires as if anyone is going to take Cahill's book title or argument as seriously as you do, but added to the mix of all this history, it's yet another interesting historical thread to follow. Far as I'm concerned anyway. Also BTW, the Book of Kells is in Latin, going back to 800 AD, and is housed in the Trinity College Library that is in itself a very impressive thing to see.

With all due respect to all the other impressive books and libraries out there...

Old 11-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
The older I get, the more I see the same thought patterns repeating themselves. Whether they are running on the same biological circuits we inherit from our DNA, are a product of our shared experiences as humans, or even more metaphysically represent a deeper truth, life seems much more like stimulus-response with each passing year.

I say this because the Bible is in many places a handbook for how people think and what motivates them. I would call it a "human almanac", a collection of vignettes that when skillfully arranged and interpreted can be relatable and seemingly authoritative in many different situations.

The BIble itself was the result of a centuries-long refinement of oral and written thought which gets at some of the big questions. Evolutionarily it persists because that long formation process refined it moreso that your newfangled, flavor-of-the-month "ism" which is probably just rehashing old news anyway. So the Bible gets a big first mover advantage.

At the same time, the claims of absolute, unchanging truth combined with the evolutionary formation process left lots of cruft that is a big turnoff.

As to why the Bible became the standard bearer of the long mythological tradition dating back to the Sumerian civilization, I would say the principal actor was Constantine, whose conversion was the Bible's "breakout moment".

Muhammad was inspired by the spread of Christianity and his efforts gave the Bible even more momentum.
No doubt what has inspired these people and millions of others through the ages, whether with respect to Christianity or the other significant religions, has much to do with what makes people "tick." What moves us. Unfortunately, what might serve as a "handbook" in some respects also tends to fall behind the times. Something like how decades old computer manuals are no longer as relevant to us as once upon a time...

Old 11-11-2019, 03:46 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
The BIble itself was the result of a centuries-long refinement of oral and written thought which gets at some of the big questions. Evolutionarily it persists because that long formation process refined it moreso that your newfangled, flavor-of-the-month "ism" which is probably just rehashing old news anyway. So the Bible gets a big first mover advantage.
Perhaps it is how I understand the word refine, but the Pentateuch may have been compiled around 300 BC due to the religious and political problems of that time.

The first version of the NT was a collection of contradictory texts put together around 150-170 AD to combat the canon of Marcion.

And the NT texts have later been amended, sometimes the changes are very obvious.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:07 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Perhaps it is how I understand the word refine, but the Pentateuch may have been compiled around 300 BC due to the religious and political problems of that time.

The first version of the NT was a collection of contradictory texts put together around 150-170 AD to combat the canon of Marcion.

And the NT texts have later been amended, sometimes the changes are very obvious.
Refined, evolved, edited, redacted, amended; I see them all as describing a process that is different from unchanging inerrancy.

The adaptation of the Sumerian creation myths as well as the use of clay tablet catch lines in Genesis also show parts of the Bible to be of older vintage than 300 BC.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Refined, evolved, edited, redacted, amended; I see them all as describing a process that is different from unchanging inerrancy.
OK. English is not my first language, so sometimes I need to check I understand the point correctly.

Quote:
The adaptation of the Sumerian creation myths as well as the use of clay tablet catch lines in Genesis also show parts of the Bible to be of older vintage than 300 BC.
The Pentateuch could be based on the Sumerian creation myths and still be written around 300 BC. Or the Pentateuch could be older. But the Jews in Egypt around 400 BC do not appear to know the Exodus story, or any of the different stories about Moses.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Muhammad was inspired by the spread of Christianity and his efforts gave the Bible even more momentum.
That's how all religions and religious sects come to be.

Someone doesn't like what they hear, so they start a new religion or sect.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's how all religions and religious sects come to be.

Someone doesn't like what they hear, so they start a new religion or sect.
I wonder how many new religions and sects have begun as a result of this forum...

Old 11-15-2019, 05:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
None, so far as i can tell. But a heck of a lot of whacky individual takes on Christianity have been brought along here. I don't see any of them catching on, but then it's all about marketing.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:22 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No doubt what has inspired these people and millions of others through the ages, whether with respect to Christianity or the other significant religions, has much to do with what makes people "tick." What moves us. Unfortunately, what might serve as a "handbook" in some respects also tends to fall behind the times. Something like how decades old computer manuals are no longer as relevant to us as once upon a time...
What makes people tick in regards to religion is that many are willing to die for their unjustified beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality