Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 12:35 PM

81 posts, read 43,765 times

Advertisements

I don't believe there is any one thing that happens when you die. What happens after death is based solely on the person that died and their beliefs.

Many insist that after you die , everyone will either go to Heaven or hell. If I don't believe in either's existence , why should I be subjected to it after death?

What happens after someone dies is based solely on their beliefs they held when they were alive. If they believed in reincarnation , they'd be reincarnated. If they believed nothing happened after death , nothing would happen.

That's my take on life after death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 12:41 PM

33,205 posts, read 26,393,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaldude12 View Post
I don't believe there is any one thing that happens when you die. What happens after death is based solely on the person that died and their beliefs.

Many insist that after you die , everyone will either go to Heaven or hell. If I don't believe in either's existence , why should I be subjected to it after death?

What happens after someone dies is based solely on their beliefs they held when they were alive. If they believed in reincarnation , they'd be reincarnated. If they believed nothing happened after death , nothing would happen.

So you're saying that your personal beliefs determine your own personal reality after you die? That reality conforms to what you believe? Well, that's your belief.

Two people, husband and wife. The husband believes that after they both die they will be reunited forever. But the wife believes that after they die they will both cease to exist. Are you saying that in the husband's reality, because of his belief, they will both be together, but in the wife's reality, because she believes they will cease to exist, they won't even exist after they die? How can both be true?

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-05-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-05-2019, 12:46 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,676,434 times
That's as good a 'Take' as most that I've seen.

My Take on it is that - if there is an afterlife. it is as natural as birth and, since Nature doesn't care about our deeds, we all get it - and fuming because the monsters 'Get away with it' is pointless. In fact it is an incentive to see it doesn't happen on earth because we can't rely on an afterlife to apply the justice they escaped here.

This is what I call 'The Atheist Afterlife' and it means that there is no heaven or hell to worry about, and certainly not having to suck up to any particular religion because they all claim to be the only ones selling entry tickets.

This means that the 'Reverse Pascal' applies.

It is best to live this life as if there is no afterlife because if the is one, it isn't anything to worry about.
If there isn't one, then make the most of the one you actually have.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:00 PM

81 posts, read 43,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
So you're saying that your personal beliefs determine your own personal reality after you die? That reality conforms to what you believe? Well, that's your belief.

Two people, husband and wife. The husband believes that after they both die they will be reunited forever. But the wife believes that after they die they will both cease to exist. Are you saying that in the husband's reality, because of his belief, they will both be together, but in the wife's reality, because she believes they will cease to exist, they won't even exist after they die? How can both be true?

It all comes down to their beliefs. If the husband believes they'll always be together after death , they will. Likewise , if the wife believes they'll both cease to exist , they will.

You create your own reality both in the real world and in death. If he CHOOSES to believe they'll always be together, they will be. The same could be said for the wife.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:08 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,345,542 times
Quote:

What happens after death is relative only to those who are still living. Because only the living can experience things. What happens after death is irrelevant to the dead.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,957,885 times
Keanu Reeves:
"I know the ones who love us will miss us”

Old 08-05-2019, 01:25 PM

50,083 posts, read 20,676,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Keanu Reeves:
"I know the ones who love us will miss us”

I know The ones who don't love us keep Hitting us.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:21 PM

18,999 posts, read 27,543,245 times
OP, you are actually correct. To a certain point, of course, as there are "standard" things that happen to everyone after the physical body death but, thereafter - indeed, it is solely based on ones existence on Earth.

So husband that believes that he will be with his wife in the afterlife - WILL be(though it will be only product of his mind, though as real, as it possibly can be).
Read this. Will help.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,353,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
So you're saying that your personal beliefs determine your own personal reality after you die? That reality conforms to what you believe?
Wel, that's what's going on in my 'life'...what I believe happens.
Why would it be different after death? I dunno, I'm askin'...seems it would be the same...or close to it...
with a few pleasant surprises...oh my beliefs are leaking out...

Old 08-05-2019, 06:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,353,035 times
Quote:
It all comes down to their beliefs. If the husband believes they'll always be together after death , they will. Likewise , if the wife believes they'll both cease to exist , they will.

You create your own reality both in the real world and in death. If he CHOOSES to believe they'll always be together, they will be. The same could be said for the wife.
I think the depth of the belief counts tons.
A non-chalant belief doesn't count for a lot, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality