Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2019, 08:38 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What is it about him that led you to believe he speaks for all of Christianity?
ocean777 claims to have a special relationship with God and to therefore be in a unique position to speak for all of Christianity. Since you ALL contend that you have a special relationship with God, in what way is ocean777 essentially any different from the rest of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
If you are interested in “comparing our different worldviews to see how each one answers several of "life's big questions" along with an explanation of the reasoning behind those conclusions”, then yes, I am willing to do that.
Excellent. Would you prefer to start?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:44 AM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
What is it about him that led you to believe he speaks for all of Christianity?
It isn't just him. It's a whole gaggle of posters on here...well, gaggle might be overstating it. With him I would count 5 that I can think of.

I know quite a few enthusiastic (let's put it that way) christians who complain about how "everyday" Muslims don't speak out against radical Muslims. I see the same thing among christians. I haven't seen you critique any of his posts.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
It is apparent that this forum is NOT being moderated according to the rules stated in the TOS. That is the reason why threads like this are filled with insults and distractions (i.e. unproductive). They are tolerated, not moderated.
You have to remember that insults and distractions are often in the eye of the beholder.

In this very post you violated TOS. How should you be punished?

The moderators here are quite tolerant. I admire them for that.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It isn't just him. It's a whole gaggle of posters on here...well, gaggle might be overstating it. With him I would count 5 that I can think of.

I know quite a few enthusiastic (let's put it that way) christians who complain about how "everyday" Muslims don't speak out against radical Muslims. I see the same thing among christians. I haven't seen you critique any of his posts.
I know Muslims (born to Muslim parents) who are as atheist as I am. They find it in their best interests not to be too vocal about their opinions, however.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:59 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
So he infringed on their traditions.

The Law did not specify that. It was their tradition.
Both passages have the Pharisees saying both acts were not lawful. How can we have a sincere and honest discussion when you ignore what the passages say?

Quote:
Jesus was making a point that the Pharisees placed a lot of emphasis on their traditional understanding that wasn't based in truth.
Which has nothing to do with my post.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I know Muslims (born to Muslim parents) who are as atheist as I am. They find it in their best interests not to be too vocal about their opinions, however.
This reminds of two situations I found myself in.

The first time was in Malaysia. When I'm traveling I seem to strike up conversations fairly easily with locals. And one day I was photographing the exterior of a mosque. A 30-ish Muslim gentleman struck up a conversation and was lamenting that Westerners like me don't understand Muslims. So I suggested, "Well, why don't I take my camera equipment back to the hotel (which happened to be very close), then I'll come back and you can take me inside the mosque and explain some of the things in there that I'll see". "Oh, I couldn't do that". And I responded that, "So you complain when we Westerners don't understand you, but when we want to learn you turn us away".

A similar thing happened to me when I was living in Colorado. I met an American Indian man who essentially said the same thing. I asked him where he was originally from, and I happened to know of the pueblo from which he came in northern New Mexico -- it's a Pueblo that absolutely forbids non-NAs from visiting. And I posed the same question to him: "How do you expect white Americans to understand Native Americans when you shut them out".

There's this desire to put up barriers and then whine about a lack of understanding and empathy. "They" simply can't have it both ways.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
This reminds of two situations I found myself in.

The first time was in Malaysia. When I'm traveling I seem to strike up conversations fairly easily with locals. And one day I was photographing the exterior of a mosque. A 30-ish Muslim gentleman struck up a conversation and was lamenting that Westerners like me don't understand Muslims. So I suggested, "Well, why don't I take my camera equipment back to the hotel (which happened to be very close), then I'll come back and you can take me inside the mosque and explain some of the things in there that I'll see". "Oh, I couldn't do that". And I responded that, "So you complain when we Westerners don't understand you, but when we want to learn you turn us away".

A similar thing happened to me when I was living in Colorado. I met an American Indian man who essentially said the same thing. I asked him where he was originally from, and I happened to know of the pueblo from which he came in northern New Mexico -- it's a Pueblo that absolutely forbids non-NAs from visiting. And I posed the same question to him: "How do you expect white Americans to understand Native Americans when you shut them out".

There's this desire to put up barriers and then whine about a lack of understanding and empathy. "They" simply can't have it both ways.
A further problem arises when it becomes apparent that one person learning the details of another person's religion can directly lead to embarrassing observations and troubling questions. Then it can become a game of "How DARE you insult and disrespect my religion by pointing out it's shortcomings in logic."

Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Both passages have the Pharisees saying both acts were not lawful. How can we have a sincere and honest discussion when you ignore what the passages say?
The Pharisees were wrong to state that. That's the point.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:

What makes you think I believe him to be a Christian? It's a rules violation to suggest one isn't. Perhaps I just keep my mouth shut so I don't violate a rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality