Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:05 PM

50,810 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

To my surprise, several people over my time here have messaged me privately or briefly posted about the use of psychics or Tarot cards...and similar phenomenon. Anyone have any experiences to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 11:42 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Well, as I said in the other thread, I went to one two days ago and I don't know what to think. He did get some things right though and the bits I'm dubious about I cannot claim to be wrong - because I have no way of proving or disproving.

I do wonder whether there is something going on that may not be quite the way that these people express but gives rise to the way they think and/or interpret what what the are thinking.

In my case, I thought I was being stony faced (like I can be stony faced), said nothing and went along with this guy. He DID hit on what was going on in my life exactly! The woo surrounding what he hit on ... well, let's not be too critical. Maybe it's part of whatever makes them tick.

Is there something outside of the purely physical? I don't know. Are some people able to read very subtle indications in our body language that they can tie together with their knowledge, experience and skill and give an educated guess? Do they have some sort of intuitive gift?

I don't have any answers but I do have a few questions.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:44 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
This kind of question more likely has an answer over in the Unexplained Mysteries forum, but maybe I can explain it as I understand things. There are tools which psychics use to help them imagine better. They use their imagination, as we all do, to see pictures in our minds, and to hear conversations in our head. Psychics (rather than the rest of us) have just recognised that sometimes, when they are in a particular kind of mood, they get feelings and intuitions which are often correct.

Historically, there have been prophets, seers, mystics, witches and psychics and, depending on your beliefs, have been revered, persecuted, etc. There is no difference between them although the folks of certain beliefs would tell you they do it differently, the method is the same. It is all down to common imagination.

Now, that does not mean it is unreal, untrue, or false. It just means they use their imagination perhaps better than others do.

Is there something outside the physical? I would say that there is something outside of what we currently understand in our science-based academic world. As soon as other realities are discovered by science, then "physical" is just another reality or dimension which we can reference with a certain set of 'laws' or rules of science.

In my experience, I have sat with 3 other very good friends and witnessed a small table lifting above our head while we all had our hands on the top surface. Do I think it was a 'demon' doing this? No, because I did not feel threatened, or that there was something 'evil' in the room with me. I think it was energy generated by the four of us which managed to lift the table off the floor and 4 feet into the air.

There is a lot of fear and uncertainty around psychics, mystics, the occult, and this kind of practice and there does not need to be. I feel that there will be a general opening up of science and religion as soon as we uncover more details around UFOs, aliens, ghosts, Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster and similar paranormal events. Until then we will continue to live in the dark ages and attribute unexplained things to the Devil, demons, and evil monsters.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:25 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,626 times
I use Tarot cards. As ocpaul20 has stated they are a tool. They are used by those professing to be psychic as well as by ordinary people working on developing their own intuition. But yea, this is more a topic for the Unexplained Mysteries forum and we had a recent thread on it there.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To my surprise, several people over my time here have messaged me privately or briefly posted about the use of psychics or Tarot cards...and similar phenomenon. Anyone have any experiences to share?
Curious as to why you were surprised. I know TD teased you about going over to the Pagan side...but you surely were aware that such conversations occur on that subforum.

Just wanted to say that, but I will freely share that I am one of the people who messaged you.

What I think might be of interest to add to your thread is that besides myself, there are a couple of other people on CD who are connected to Christian communities in some way or another and do not see any conflict between that and what are considered Pagan practices (one member describes herself as a Christo-Pagan) and another who is Jewish and does the same.

The Tarot is a divination tool that helps you focus when using your natural intuition/psychic abilities. The cards themselves have no power, are not "tools of Satan", etc. I also use a set of runes.

We have the ability to gain information using our natural intuition, and tuning into it better can be learned and honed with practice.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-22-2019 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I use Tarot cards. As ocpaul20 has stated they are a tool. They are used by those professing to be psychic as well as by ordinary people working on developing their own intuition. But yea, this is more a topic for the Unexplained Mysteries forum and we had a recent thread on it there.
Just curious as to why there ahead of the Pagan subforum here.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 AM

Dunno exactly except you don't have to be Pagan to use Tarot cards. People of various spiritual backgrounds use them.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, as I said in the other thread, I went to one two days ago and I don't know what to think. He did get some things right though and the bits I'm dubious about I cannot claim to be wrong - because I have no way of proving or disproving.

I do wonder whether there is something going on that may not be quite the way that these people express but gives rise to the way they think and/or interpret what what the are thinking.

In my case, I thought I was being stony faced (like I can be stony faced), said nothing and went along with this guy. He DID hit on what was going on in my life exactly! The woo surrounding what he hit on ... well, let's not be too critical. Maybe it's part of whatever makes them tick.

Is there something outside of the purely physical? I don't know. Are some people able to read very subtle indications in our body language that they can tie together with their knowledge, experience and skill and give an educated guess? Do they have some sort of intuitive gift?

I don't have any answers but I do have a few questions.
I never went to a psychic until about two and a half years ago when my daughter and I decided to go to a psychic fair held in upstate NY, where she lived at the time.

I saw two psychics that day. One started off OK. She said, "Oh!" (as if she'd just figured something out). "You like to go listen to music near the water in summer, don't you." Now that made me say "Hmm", because I live near the ocean and indeed I go to the free summer concert series put on by the New Jersey Jazz and Blues Foundation a block from the beach. I was 200 miles away from the ocean in upstate NY, and this woman couldn't know where I came from. Could have been a guess, but it was a pretty good one.

But the rest of the session she was very vague and seemed to be grasping at straws. Told me I like to do something creative and asked me what it was (writing) and told me I wish I had more time to spend on doing that. Well, yeah, you could say that to 99% of the population and be accurate. Then she had me a pick a card (not the standard Tarot) and it had a butterfly on it. Said that meant I was going through a transformation. Yeah, lady, who isn't.

She also told my daughter she saw her traveling with her child on her lap. My daughter is not having children and in fact has since had tubal ligation.

Dismissible.

The other psychic was a rune reader and asked for three specific questions and then did her thing with the runes. I was more impressed with her reading and in fact she made me interested in purchasing a set of runes and learning to use them myself.

Since then, I went for two readings at the "new age" store near me where they have $20 10-minute readings with one of their regular psychics. One was very interesting and seemed to hit a lot of what was going on in my life on the money. The last one said something that no one could have guessed that shocked me so deeply before she even laid out the cards that I don't really remember what she said during the card reading.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Dunno exactly except you don't have to be Pagan to use Tarot cards. People of various spiritual backgrounds use them.
That's true, but Pagan is a somewhat vague term without a hard and fast definition to begin with.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 AM

I just opened a thread in the Pagan subforum to see if there is any interest Pagan often was seen as a non-Abrahamic religion. Although there are now ChristoPagans and Christian Witches that blend the two. I don't know too much about that. The church would call anything that wasn't Christian, "Pagan." There is often a connection to honoring Nature and following the seasons or the Wheel of the Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality