Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

I mean, come on...something came from nothing (otherwise known as the Unknown)...
ok.
Then, this Unknown is unseeable to our eyes here in this limited spectrum available to us... sound, vision, taste, and feeling...are pretty small.

If the entire EM spectrum were laid out in a 6 inch linear graph....what humans are able to perceive is
what?.... a 1/4 -1/2 inch?
We can not perceive X-rays, radio waves, UHF waves...but DOGS can hear more than us
and eagles can see more than us...let's not start on dolphins and bats? (And TV sets!)
Machines/receivers can pick up Short wave radio waves ...but not 'us'!
What else can we not pick up?

So logically ...we must start at the realistic point that we perceive VERY little.

So logic must be taken with a grain of salt.
Faith is all about what is outside of what our perception is.....and that is like 80% of everything!!!
Ha!
Some are gifted with a 6th sense....it does not compute to those in the concrete awareness of their
woefully limited senses.
Um, comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
A theory I've read about that sounds intriguing is the monoblock. At some point billions of years ago the monoblock exploded expanding out and filling space with matter and energy. It sounds more reasonable to me then god creating the earth 6,000 years ago. Geologically, this makes no sense whatsoever. Where did the monoblock come from? Your guess is as good as mine. Until we create a time machine it's all speculation.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:39 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
If you regard the Monoblock and the big bang as the same thing you'll find that you have equalled two Geniuses in one go. That's essentially as far as anyone knows for sure.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:56 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
It is not valid to disparage what we do know simply because of what we don't. We still know what is currently knowable. The rest we do not draw conclusions concerning, until there is data to support those conclusions.

In any event, your analogy does not hold because we CAN in fact "see" infrared, X-Rays, and so forth. And that comes not from religion, but from applied science (technology). The mere fact that we're AWARE of the full spectrum, we owe to science. We can in fact record and assess throughout the EM spectrum, and have done so. It is ironic to me, that the knowledge that unaided human eyes only see a tiny sliver of a vast spectrum, is knowledge that did not come to us from religion, and yet is being appropriated to argue in favor of it.

Now, part of what you are really arguing for, and I agree with you, is epistemological humility. Every generation of people thinks that it has exhausted what there is to learn, invent, or innovate. Some idiot famously said a little over a century ago that patents were no longer needed as there was nothing else to invent. This was before sound movies, television, digital computers, space travel, and a whole raft of other stuff. Some will say this was hubris and some will say it was a failure of imagination. Either way, it was a dumb observation.

Still, all that we have learned since then points away from, rather than toward, supernatural beings and realms as a necessary or useful explanation for anything.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:55 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I mean, come on...something came from nothing (otherwise known as the Unknown)...
ok.
Then, this Unknown is unseeable to our eyes here in this limited spectrum available to us... sound, vision, taste, and feeling...are pretty small.

If the entire EM spectrum were laid out in a 6 inch linear graph....what humans are able to perceive is
what?.... a 1/4 -1/2 inch?
We can not perceive X-rays, radio waves, UHF waves...but DOGS can hear more than us
and eagles can see more than us...let's not start on dolphins and bats? (And TV sets!)
Machines/receivers can pick up Short wave radio waves ...but not 'us'!
What else can we not pick up?

So logically ...we must start at the realistic point that we perceive VERY little.

So logic must be taken with a grain of salt.
Faith is all about what is outside of what our perception is.....and that is like 80% of everything!!!
Ha!
Some are gifted with a 6th sense....it does not compute to those in the concrete awareness of their
woefully limited senses.
Um, comments?
Couldn't rep you again, but this is an excellent topic of discussion! I think I'll hold off on further comments until a bit later, but I'll definitely be following this thread.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:09 PM

It is an interesting topic, yes.

I love science...just to say...I love all that has been discovered.
Maybe we will have instruments, as we do, to see x-rays; as we have radios to pick up waves in the air right now...
to one day pick up supernatural things.
I guess my point is...it isn't logical to me to say there is nothing beyond what we can see...
Or to think someone is crazy if they can.
I am not big on blind faith....I do believe 'seeing' is better, like Thomas.
What was odd about Thomas was he didn't pick up from the others that what they saw was true.
How could you know these men and then not believe them? Logic for me is that he would.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:53 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:

Some are gifted with a 6th sense....
We should talk about that 6th sense thing sometime.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-23-2019 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 08-22-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
We should talk about that 6th sense thing sometime.
Maybe this is the place? I think the Mods would see it as sort of still on topic.
Logically, I have faith in my 6th sense...see how I just spun that?
Your turn.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:07 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Couldn't rep you again, but this is an excellent topic of discussion! I think I'll hold off on further comments until a bit later, but I'll definitely be following this thread.
Frankly it's depressing. I have posted - frequently - debunking appeals to the unknowns, (Venomfang fallacy; 'they denied powered flight' fallacy (1) and how it has been science that has found out these unknown and indeed unimaginable wonders, and I can't think of anything that Revelation has come up with other than claims that have been refuted.

But it seems that I'm wearing my fingers out to no purpose.

(1) these are probably proper informal fallacies with latin names but I haven't come across them, yet.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:10 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Maybe this is the place? I think the Mods would see it as sort of still on topic.
Logically, I have faith in my 6th sense...see how I just spun that?
Your turn.
Well, I'm not a very spiritual person and all that but I have experienced stuff - not too heavy mind you - that has given me pause to contemplate. Hey, I threw in 'spiritual'.

You don't suppose a dedicated thread would be in order? My thinking is that the unexplained forum would not be the place. Right here would be appropriate, I would think - it could be argued that the 6th sense is a spiritual matter. I would like to hear what other folks think and have experienced - in particular, religious folks who don't frequent the unexplained forum.

Last edited by 303Guy; 08-23-2019 at 01:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality