Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:31 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Nice try, but that falls flat on its face. When Joseph S. adds to what was not to be added to, and when his motivations and Jesus disagree (as anyone with brains can see), walking along the fence is no longer an option. Maybe you enjoy fencing-walking in a grey world, but it's a realm of self-deception.
Just one quick question here. Do you see me as lacking in the brains department? Once you've answered that very simple question, I'll respond to your own less-than-intelligent conclusions about my beliefs.

Quote:
We all see that you're the representative for the Mormon church here, which is fine with me, but you're not convincing anyone to join your group.
Yeah, and since when have I ever tried to? In ten years on this forum, I have never once proselytized! I have never once told anyone that they should convert to my religion or else! All I've ever done on this forum is try to educate people as to what Mormons actually believe and why. You're proof that my work is far from done.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-22-2019 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:41 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, and since when have I ever tried to? In ten years on this forum, I have never once proselytized! I have never once told anyone that they should convert to my religion or else! All I've ever done on this forum is try to educate people as to what Mormons actually believe and why. You're proof that my work is far from done.
You've behaved perfectly here. Although I don't believe what you believe, I'm glad you're here.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:58 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
I concur. Even though we disagree on beliefs (we had a vehement couple of run ins, on the Abraham papyrus in one case and on Jewish DNA (lack of) in native Americans. But it's never personal and we all like Katz. I don't doubt her intelligence for a second but I think that Faith getz in the way of looking at the data objectively. That's what I think is the problem with all these really clever, educated and smart people who are believers.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You've behaved perfectly here. Although I don't believe what you believe, I'm glad you're here.
Me, too.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
.... looking at the data objectively. That's what I think is the problem with all these really clever, educated and smart people who are believers.
My data's bigger than your data.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:04 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Remember that time when Mormans built a modern city so great with bricks and morters as to be one of the greatest modern cities there ever was?

Yeah, imagine building New York with great buildings, and then one day, you pick up and leave what your people have been building forever as a promised land, but guess what, other people didn't like your religion, and so they thought to persecute you and take what your people have been dying to build.

You decide to abandon your whole city, THAT YOU BUILT BY THE BLOOD OF YOUR FATHERS.

The average Christian is TOO strong for you, and so you abandon all you are, and everything you have worked for because other Christians wont accept you, YOU FREAKING SATANIST LOL.

You walk out of your the city your father's have built because of persecution of other Christians, and the choice you have chosen is trial and death, do you really think you can get over those mountains?

By fire and wind, cold, and heat they died in trial looking for a new promised land because every non Mormon Christian would have what they built.

Thank GOD we have such an example, a people who built such a kingdom.

My great, great grandmother was a renagade Cherokee Indian who was not registered because she wouldn't stay on the RES.

But most of all the documented who stayed on the RES are because Mormons documented them and have History in they hands, blood history.

It'a quite something really, Mormons used to show up at my house and I was such an arse, I wished one would come back, and I would give him a ho ho and a dr pepper.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:40 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
But Jesus did mean in Matthew 8:22 ...``Follow me and be saved and have life , and then don`t waste your time , let the unsaved who have no life bury their unsaved people who died

Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
See^^^^^^^^ how dogma is subject to interpretation? There you have dead and here you have unsaved...

OP, you taking that verse too literal. Yeshua was not referring to physical death. He was referring to people being "dead" spiritually. They were out of tune with their god side and, in that manner, they were dead. They could have also been called deaf, or blind. Don't matter. Their minds were closed, they were not in reality, they live in imaginary world.

Same said Gurdjiev, before he put his disciples on strict "eye opening" routine. Then he took one of them to a social place and his diary said - I was shocked. I could see only sleeping, blind, dead people around, walking in the streets.

Dead is just an allegory, like most of passages in the Bible.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:41 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
As a Mormon my entire life, I wonder if the reason why Mormon doctrine is studied more than Christ’s doctrine is because some of Christ’s words contradict Mormonism today. Not only did Christ express righteous anger when the temple was being used to make money (as Mormon temples are today - you must pay 10% of your income to enter lds temples), he also clearly explained that the living are more important to tend to than the dead. Yet, the lds church wastes so much time and money on the dead while neglecting the suffering living.
  • “But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.” - Matthew 8:22

It seems that others have noticed this problem in our church also.
4 reasons why projects like the new luxurious temple built by the Mormons in Haiti are unhelpful”
Why we should not build luxury churches in developing countries
Some interesting quotes, that I more associate with Evangelicals than Mormons.
Getting angry because Jesus got angry in the temple, is a common one for them to cite for reasons to attack apostasy and heresy. (or "organized religion")
Let the dead bury their own dead, used to refute praying for the dead with liturgical churches etc, but also to tell new recruits to leave their past lives behind, and come and follow Jesus. (which is normally exclusively their denomination).
Admittedly my knowledge and real world contact with Mormons is less than other groups.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My data's bigger than your data.
But not necessarily better. It's not size that counts, but how you use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality