Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 04:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,521,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You're not on my ignore list. I don't respond to your posts because I can never understand what you are dribbling on about
yeah ... that is exactly what it is ... lmao ... yeah

the Fundy theist say the same sweet things to me, that's how I know I am on the right track.
they just don't understand how a erson can base a belief independent of religion (Independent of anti-religion included)

I base my belief about god on ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlEovwE1oHI

whats you base?

oh right ... stop religion at all cost.

yeah, we are on the same playing field.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:11 AM

1,402 posts, read 474,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it gets back to using the best truths we have...... We only ask that your statements of belief line up with observation. We ask that you do not base beliefs on unknowns. And its a sin to ask a person to reject commonsense to form a statement of belief about god to us.
Arach, I am not always able to follow your arguments and references, but I want to give credit where credit is due! You have nicely summarized my precepts:

Our beliefs should line up with (i.e., be supported by) observation... beliefs based on unknowns aren't worth much... and don't expect others to reject common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So people believing in wrong things has no relevance to what people believe?
And Harry summarizes even more succinctly!

Thanks to you both.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:00 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

I base my belief about god on ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlEovwE1oHI

You base your belief about God on QFT? I'm not following, there was nothing in that video about God.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 01-31-2020 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-31-2020, 10:30 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
You base your belief about God on QFT? I'm not following, there was nothing in that video about God.
The video was very good. I had some issues with it.

1) In the Everett interpretation the 'wave function' does not collapse when you measure (observe) it. If this is where you are getting some type of shoehorn for God (consciousness is necessary) you are not understanding entanglement or decoherence.

2) Are fields real? Fields are real, the guy in the video contradicted himself when at one point he asks this question and said they are of 'no substance' and then proceed to tell us that physicists know they exist because they 'exist in space and have energy.' Well being in space and having energy makes something materially real. I get he was probably just thinking of things we normally think of as matter so it was just a small mistake on his part.

These are the only two things I can think of that would make you base your belief about God on QFT and they are not convincing even if correct which they are not. Other than that you are basing it off of some unanswered questions which is just God of the gaps nonsense.

To understand this interpretation of QM see this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQBIMgcVDM

Old 01-31-2020, 11:02 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Once again you are attacking (with your 22 minute video) our position without defending yours. If you can not provide a rational third option based on evidence, then I have no need to watch your video, which if honest will just be arguing we do not know the precise details.

Let me explain again. Because GodDidIt is so improbable (near 0% because of point 6), then not God must be most probable (near 100%). Until you provide a credible third alternative to abiogenesis, then my confidence level must remain 100%, even if we do not know the precise details.

Once you have reviewed the relevant papers I provided, then I will watch your video (or possibly look at what James Tour actually argues). Here are the papers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Sources
Which is exactly why his video is a straw man. No one is claiming that we have explained how life originated. The only other non-material hypothesis is his "God" - which is offered solely on ignorance - which is another fallacy. I don't know how he could not understand this, other than intentionally being dishonest, that having confidence (at any level) is not the same as saying we have figured out how life originated particularly given the options as you have pointed out.

I have asked him a dozen times to explain it via God - and of course he is just intentionally ignoring it because he can't and acting like throwing up some video about science not yet having THE answer to this question somehow allows his god to slip in as the answer. It is totally intellectually dishonest. And I dare say it is something we are not allowed to accuse a poster of.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:04 AM

22,003 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Since the vast majority of theistic spewing is littered with fallacious premises, assumptions, and conclusions, it is virtually impossible to discuss it without referring to its constituent errors of logic. If you are discussing theism without referencing fallacies, there would be total silence. The vast shift in the population of America toward non-belief, especially by those under 30, is fueled by these millions of conversations, youtube videos, talk shows (Joe Rogan interviewing Richard Dawkins was great!), podcasts (Atheist Experience!), and online forums like these. Exposing deistic fallacies is what is gradually causing a new American Enlightenment. Thank you for helping!
so then, in the parlance of atheists who post here on CD, your tribe is Atheist (!!!"Atheist Experience"!!!), you have a predilection for echo chambers: youtube! videos! talk shows! podcasts! conversations! great interviews! forums! Atheist Experience!, and you are an evangelist fluent in tract speak.

got it.

crossing now to the other side of the street, as i do when encountering any frothing zealot, particularly those making grandiose claims of capital E enlightenment, not just having capital E enlightenment but actually gasp causing it capital E enlightenment, blithely labeling everything not in their cult (another favored term of many atheists who post here on CD) as wrong, incorrect, fallacies, errors and gasp! surprise surprise...wait for it.... they alone know the truth!!!!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,006,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so then, in the parlance of atheists who post here on CD, your tribe is Atheist (!!!"Atheist Experience"!!!), you have a predilection for echo chambers: youtube! videos! talk shows! podcasts! conversations! great interviews! forums! Atheist Experience!, and you are an evangelist fluent in tract speak.

got it.

crossing now to the other side of the street, as i do when encountering any frothing zealot, particularly those making grandiose claims of capital E enlightenment, not just having capital E enlightenment but actually gasp causing it capital E enlightenment, blithely labeling everything not in their cult (another favored term of many atheists who post here on CD) as wrong, incorrect, fallacies, in error and gasp! surprise surprise...wait for it.... they alone know the truth
Can we identify the fallacy kids? That’s right! Ad hominem.

When we have no evidence for our position, we lash out with personal attacks. Don’t do that kids. When asked for evidence to back up your claim, go ahead and provide it. If you have any. If you don’t, do some research and see if your claim might not in fact be false. In which case, consider disbelieving it!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:12 AM

50,450 posts, read 24,044,107 times
Quote:

got it.

crossing now to the other side of the street, as i do when encountering any frothing zealot, particularly those making grandiose claims of capital E enlightenment, not just having capital E enlightenment but actually gasp causing it capital E enlightenment, blithely labeling everything not in their cult (another favored term of many atheists who post here on CD) as wrong, incorrect, fallacies, errors and gasp! surprise surprise...wait for it.... they alone know the truth!!!!
Sounds like you in reverse.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:17 AM

22,003 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Can we identify the fallacy kids? That’s right! Ad hominem. When we have no evidence for our position, we lash out with personal attacks. Don’t do that kids. When asked for evidence to back up your claim, go ahead and provide it. If you have any. If you don’t, do some research and see if your claim might not in fact be false. In which case, consider disbelieving it!
the claims i made regarding observed behavior on CD: tract speak, evangelism, echo chamber, grandiosity, frothing zealotry, rote recital and regurgitation of vacuous phrases
the evidence to back up those claims: your posts

Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,006,487 times
Quote:
the claims i made about your posts: tract speak, evangelism, echo chamber, grandiosity, frothing zealotry, rote recital and regurgitation of vacuous phrases
the evidence to back up those claims: your posts
Repeating ad hominem.

Yes, but let’s get back to the deity claim. Do you have evidence to support your belief in the deity? That’s what we really need here. We do need that evidence. Can you provide it?

We can clear up this whole silly mess and move on to other affairs in life. It would be so simple if we just had the credible convincing evidence of the positive claim that you’re making. It shouldn’t be much of a problem. You must have some good evidence to base your beliefs on. So just provide that evidence, and then we can have a nice quiet lunch and look forward to the sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.