Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 06:29 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Let's not stray off topic. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:33 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
All life is based on organic compounds.
Slight correction - all life that we know... Life doesn't have to be carbon based, it's just that it's all we're familiar with.

Also, not every every carbon based compound is organic; as with many things, there are exceptions to the rule.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:05 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
comparing the two I see them as being made up of a group of people expressing a statement of belief about god and as such have the properties of a group of people expressing a statement of belief about god.

I see some people in those groups that think their group is the one with the one true statement of belief about god. I see some people in those groups that think the other group should be terminated. Since there are more Christians they are a bigger problem these days, but as a point of fact, irrational people are irrational no matter what statement of belief about god they own.

There is no reason people in the middle have to follow either of the irrational people. In fact, I think people that live their lives by a statement of belief about god (yes or anti) might want to address their own irrational people first before pushing their beliefs on others.

Far too many people side with people just because they ware the same t-shirt. "with us or against us" is not the best approach in most cases. "Thats fine but just get out of/stay out of our way" has been at the root of more atrocities than most statements I know.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:53 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
So what is more reasonable God or no God/s:
This. Which is why the theists need to point to any improbabilities in naturalism (whether they are genuine or not). But they never apply the same standard to their gods. That is why the argument from fine tuning or specified complexity are arguments against a first cause creator god, which must be even more improbable.

And we have seen how the theists ask us questions, but they never ask themselves the same questions. In fact they run away every time we ask how did God create life, how does this god just know things, where does it keep it's knowledge, what is this god made of? And most important, how do they know this?

Old 02-01-2020, 07:24 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
This. Which is why the theists need to point to any improbabilities in naturalism (whether they are genuine or not). But they never apply the same standard to their gods. That is why the argument from fine tuning or specified complexity are arguments against a first cause creator god, which must be even more improbable.

And we have seen how the theists ask us questions, but they never ask themselves the same questions. In fact they run away every time we ask how did God create life, how does this god just know things, where does it keep it's knowledge, what is this god made of? And most important, how do they know this?
These questions should be explored by all instead of looking up someone's/someone else's tooter for the answer to life's questions...
that is if you are actually curious; otherwise, you are simply proselytizing your preferences.... if you already have the answers, let the children/unlearned/naive figure it out among themselves...the grave will settle the matter.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:50 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
These questions should be explored by all instead of looking up someone's/someone else's tooter for the answer to life's questions...
that is if you are actually curious; otherwise, you are simply proselytizing your preferences.... if you already have the answers, let the children/unlearned/naive figure it out among themselves...the grave will settle the matter.
Letting irrational beliefs proliferate without challenge gives us the Crusades, Isis, and 5,000 other conflicts. We really need to push for a rational agenda where people actually have good reasons for their beliefs. And it should start by NOT indoctrinating children into their parents irrationality.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Letting irrational beliefs proliferate without challenge gives us the Crusades, Isis, and 5,000 other conflicts. We really need to push for a rational agenda where people actually have good reasons for their beliefs. And it should start by NOT indoctrinating children into their parents irrationality.
It starts by allowing people to talk and explore. Not by dictating/controlling the conversation. Explain your position. Make it so simple that even a small child could easily understand and then... keep it moving.

You don't filibuster people into cookie-cut worldviews. And all children are not indoctrinated...some people have wonderment into various views, others not so much.

I maybe wrong, but I suspect that the only thing that will ever please some people is in-animation, because to have life is to experience change.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:50 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
1) I do not know what a tooter is.

2) You appear to have missed my point. These are questions theists need to ask about their specific claims, but many who post here never do. The skeptics have no need to ask how a god they do not believe in allegedly knows or does things.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:55 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
It starts by allowing people to talk and explore. Not by dictating/controlling the conversation. Explain your position. Make it so simple that even a small child could easily understand and then... keep it moving.

You don't filibuster people into cookie-cut worldviews. And all children are not indoctrinated...some people have wonderment into various views, others not so much.

I maybe wrong, but I suspect that the only thing that will ever please some people is in-animation, because to have life is to experience change.
The widest possible scope of wonder is open to those who arrive at beliefs and conclusions through reason. Reason admits and processes literally everything in reality. How do you close yourself off from wonderment? The first step is belief without reason. Believing in claims without evidence and good reason distracts you from that which actually exists. It closes you off from reality and discourages learning and exploration.

I think you may be conflating wonderment and awe with being dazed and confused.

Take evolution as an example. It is an amazing and magnificent process that invites wonderment, admiration, and awe. It is also a fact. Yet we have irrational theists closing themselves off from wonderment by being myopic hidebound luddites.

That’s not a path to wonderment. Or knowledge. Or competent living in the real world.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
1) I do not know what a tooter is.

2) You appear to have missed my point. These are questions theists need to ask about their specific claims, but many who post here never do. The skeptics have no need to ask how a god they do not believe in allegedly knows or does things.
The skeptics should research for themselves instead sitting and expecting others to fetch data for them, because end the end who really knows the answer? chemicals>cells>cellular morphology>...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality