Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 10:49 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except your world view is based on assertions. I have no problem you believing what you do, but why should others accept the assertions of theists that they have provided no evidence for?

And I did respond to your world view, I described it, and then asked questions about it. And like other theists, you have not answered these questions. You have only attacked naturalism without arguing for your version of Christianity.

That your world view offers something is irrelevant to me, so do snake oil medicine and insurance scams. I would not take medicine or insurance without evidence I am not giving my money away. It is also irrelevant that it offers something when I can not believe in it.
And you still seem to be missing my point.

Whether you like it or not WITHIN the Christian worldview the answers age given.

You can argue all you like that you don't believe those answers but you cannot say that WITHIN the Christian worldview there is no answers.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Answers I can not believe, because you can not answer how your assertions work. And I am not trying to persuade you, I am comparing Christianity and atheism.

No, we are comparing the two.
I am not saying you have to believe in my worldview Harry, I am saying within my worldview it contains the answers. You simply cannot deny this and say you are being intellectually honest.

No you are not comparing the atheist worldview with the Christian worldview, you are incorporating your worldview into the Christian worldview.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Yep, even though you don't know. You can't explain jack yet you act as if you can!

Nope it is a terrible analogy and misrepresentation.
Your still missing the point Shiloh.

Within the Christian worldview it contains the answers. Whether you or I believe that the Christian worldview contains the answer or not is not relevant to the worldview.

The simple fact is WITHIN the Christian worldview the answers are given.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM

1,402 posts, read 476,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well at least you can see that within the Christian worldview that it does have the answers. Whether you see those answers as not being correct or logical is up to you and I have no problem with people saying that to them it is illogical but that is not what we get all the time we usually get YOU are being illogical which is simply not the case. The Christian worldview within itself is totally logical.
"Within itself...."

I am beginning to wonder if this, which I had passed over as awkward phrasing, is actually key to your arguments. I don't want to put words (or meanings of words) in your mouth, but is this saying that the Christian worldview is "internally consistent," and that's all that matters? If so, then I guess I understand slightly more than I did before, but would seriously question its relevance to the world at large, or its applicability to modern life. What good is a "worldview," if it collapses the moment someone compares it to reality, or attempts to integrate current knowledge, which is always improving?

Again, I don't want to read too much between the lines, but I'm sure you will correct me where I am.

[ETA: I see the preceding two posts make this same point over and over, so perhaps that is the intent. If so, my concerns with that line of thought still stand.]

Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
You are missing the point Shiloh, WITHIN the Christian worldview it has the answers.

WITHIN the atheist worldview it does not have the answers.

So my question is and has been is why would I change my worldview that has the answer for a worldview that states that it does not know?
You don't seem to also understand that there is no atheist WORLDVIEW.

There could be naturalism/materialism. And given your standard for what an "answer" constitutes naturalism/materialism has answers. And those answers have far more explanatory power than yours and they track reality much better than yours. It's one that values truth over comfort! If you value those things then you would change your worldview.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
He thinks he is being intellectually honest with his stupid word games.

When it comes to actually explaining something he knows nothing of the big questions. Zilch, zero, nanda, zip, you get it!
it is not word games it is simply the fact that within the Christian worldview the answers are given.

It does not matter what I know or you know, it is what the Christian worldview within itself states.

It is telling that many of you guys refuse to come out and say what you actually know to be the truth which is that WITHIN the Christian worldview it contains the answers.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
"Within itself...."

I am beginning to wonder if this, which I had passed over as awkward phrasing, is actually key to your arguments. I don't want to put words (or meanings of words) in your mouth, but is this saying that the Christian worldview is "internally consistent," and that's all that matters? If so, then I guess I understand slightly more than I did before, but would seriously question its relevance to the world at large, or its applicability to modern life. What good is a "worldview," if it collapses the moment someone compares it to reality, or attempts to integrate current knowledge, which is always improving?

Again, I don't want to read too much between the lines, but I'm sure you will correct me where I am.

[ETA: I see the preceding two posts make this same point over and over, so perhaps that is the intent. If so, my concerns with that line of thought still stand.]

He is playing games and then acting like we are intellectually dishonest if we disagree with him.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
it is not word games it is simply the fact that within the Christian worldview the answers are given.

It does not matter what I know or you know, it is what the Christian worldview within itself states.

It is telling that many of you guys refuse to come out and say what you actually know to be the truth which is that WITHIN the Christian worldview it contains the answers.

No one is arguing that Christianity and Christians don't claim to have 'the' answers.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
IWas has shown their god can not exist (a point IWas avoids). So even if we do not know, we do know it can not be a god IWas as shown can not exist.
I am not talking about what can be shown, I am taking about what the Christian worldview states and within that worldview it has the answers. That you cannot except that is neither here nor there, the fact is that within the Christian worldview the answers are given. It is a plan fact, one that many of you guys simply refuse to acknowledge.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:08 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
I could just as easily claim that naturalism and materialism have answers. Now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality