Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 02:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Stop talking about people. Talk about your woo “universe is alive” mystical substitute nonsense and bring your evidence. And don’t forget to keep dropping your hackneyed “more of this and not less of that something or another”, Rain Man slogan.
I am not talking about you marc. at least no differently than you do me. I mean you surely understand the tone of your posts?

I do have evidence and you didnt understand it at all. and is was pretty basic. You clerarly didn't have a clue what it meant. Or You just don't like it. at least trans knew what it meant and choose to hide from it for the good of the militant gang unity.

you then changed my claim to something it wasn't and said I was wrong? the iron curtain gang do that all the time. its a militant atheist trait.

I never spoke to you any different then you spoke to me?

all i asked is what happened to you to trigger such a violent response to any suggestion that we are part of a larger more complex system? If I know what happened maybe I show what I mean without triggering you?

Old 02-17-2020, 02:07 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Sometimes this can backfire. the UK 'Alf Garnett' comedy character was intended to show up the kind of character who got us to Brexit frankly. The grassroots right wing xenophobe.

But that character became the hero and poster - boy of the Right wing racists. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't inspire them rather than shame them.
Alf's American equivalent, Archie Bunker, was also a poster boy for the very people that the character was parodying. The problem isn't with the parody -- it's with the people who are kind of thick.

It's been going on a long time. Think of the folks who didn't "get" Jonathan Swift's "Modest Proposal."

Old 02-17-2020, 02:43 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am not talking about you marc. at least no differently than you do me. I mean you surely understand the tone of your posts?

I do have evidence and you didnt understand it at all. and is was pretty basic. You clerarly didn't have a clue what it meant. Or You just don't like it. at least trans knew what it meant and choose to hide from it for the good of the militant gang unity.

you then changed my claim to something it wasn't and said I was wrong? the iron curtain gang do that all the time. its a militant atheist trait.

I never spoke to you any different then you spoke to me?

all i asked is what happened to you to trigger such a violent response to any suggestion that we are part of a larger more complex system? If I know what happened maybe I show what I mean without triggering you?
An excellent approach to responding to a request for evidence is to provide the evidence, and not say that you already provided the evidence somewhere else. The most efficient process is to just to bring the evidence again. So bring it. Again. Convincing and credible evidence that the universe as a whole is a living entity. Bring that evidence, and put all of this controversy to rest.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:53 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Alf's American equivalent, Archie Bunker, was also a poster boy for the very people that the character was parodying. The problem isn't with the parody -- it's with the people who are kind of thick.

It's been going on a long time. Think of the folks who didn't "get" Jonathan Swift's "Modest Proposal."
(again) I could write (and post) Alf Garnett's (1) 'Brexit' speech. "...all them bleeding Brussels sprouts loading all them Afghan Jihaddists onto the lorries to send over the channel. Cos they son't want 'em there, do they? And as soon as they get 'ere, they puts their passport in the waste -bin so we can't send 'em back..."

Yes, I know what pushed us out of Europe.

Archie Bunker, eh? I'll have to have a look. I sorta laugh while thinking '...that really is disgraceful....'

(1) Warren Mitchell was actually Jewish. But he could go purple in the face when bellowing .."I'm not Jewish, you catholic Irish scouse Git! I'm not Jewish!! It's your actual pope see, he's the Jewish one. Cos Peter was the first Pope, see, an 'e' woz jewish, warnt e? "

"Wodjer mean 'e' din't 'ave no kids? They all had kids, all them Popes. Not ave a family, you Liverpool layabout? Arf of the mothers was family!...."

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-17-2020 at 03:30 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 02:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
An excellent approach to responding to a request for evidence is to provide the evidence, and not say that you already provided the evidence somewhere else. The most efficient process is to just to bring the evidence again. So bring it. Again. Convincing and credible evidence that the universe as a whole is a living entity. Bring that evidence, and put all of this controversy to rest.
My claim: we are in a system better described as life more than non life. I stay withing 2 light seconds for that claim.

now, please, use something observational to say why you feel the system is better described as non life?

or is woo all you have?

Old 02-17-2020, 03:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,078 times
God gives trillions of visitations, & encounter experiences & journeys, to people across the globe. It blows people's minds & they sometimes think they are special, or that they are Jesus or something, after God gives them a visitation. This is because religion teaches that only certain people are chosen by God, when in reality God loves everyone equally.

Seeking material proof of God is like searching the red band of the rainbow for traces of blue. God is on a higher level & you have to lift your consciousness up & open your mind to higher things. Then you will begin to perceive God's presence & glory

Old 02-17-2020, 03:12 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
You cannot be “militant” when it comes to reality. Accurately identifying existence for what it is, is not a “position”. It’s simple recognition of basic facts.

And Arachnid is a pure mystic. No different from a fundy really, just a different non-existent thing to misfocus his attention on.

And just as damaging to one’s ability to function well. Because reality doesn’t care how you try to evade it. It will punish you equally and democratically.

A long time back, I called Arach a 'fundamentalist agnostic'. Or said that he was a 'Theist in search of a god he can believe in'.

I still see him and his non -Christian crib of Mystic's 'Intelligent cosmos' (though Mystic studiously avoids the need for it to be intelligent to deserve to be called 'God') as just the same thing. And trying to fiddle science to make a 'living' universe. Originally trying to play the 'you can't tell where chemical reaction ends and Life begins' argument, I said DNA replication was the point, if you drew a line anywhere, and his reaction was incredulous scorn.

Yet he seems to have dropped that one and instead argues a better story 'The Universe has life in in ..on this earth, right? So the Universe is alive'.

It gets bigger laughs anyway.

p.s I only see his posts when quoted. 'hiding from him?' Yep - it's why I have him on ignore - I wasted huge amounts of time mud wrestling with him. He is a king needler. Art least he said that I get his hypotheses.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-17-2020 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 03:34 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
(again) I could write (and post) Alf Garnett's (1) 'Brexit' speech. "...all them bleeding Brussels sprouts loading all them Afghan Jihaddists onto the lorries to send over the channel. Cos they son't want 'em there, do they? And as soon as they get 'ere, they puts their passport in the waste -bin so we can't send 'em back..."

Archie Bunker, eh? I'll have to have a look. I sorta laugh while thinking '...that really is disgraceful....'

(1) Warren Mitchell was actually Jewish. But he could go purple in the face when bellowing .."I'm not Jewish, you catholic Irish scouse Git! I'm not Jewish!! It's your actual pope see, he's the Jewish one. Cos Peter was the first Pope, see, an 'e' woz jewish, warnt e? "

"Wodjer mean 'e' din't 'ave no kids? They all had kids, all them Popes. Not ave a family, you Liverpool layabout? Arf of the mothers was family!...."
I didn't know that the guy who played Alf Garnett was Jewish! I've never really seen that show, though. I only know of it by reputation.

When it comes to laughably disgraceful, though, I've always been more into Wilfrid Bramble's Steptoe, Senior. I've got that show on video and S. and Son never gets old, IMO.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:35 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
(again) I could write (and post) Alf Garnett's (1) 'Brexit' speech. "...all them bleeding Brussels sprouts loading
all them Afghan Jihaddists onto the lorries to send over the channel. Cos they son't want 'em there, do they? And as soon as they get 'ere, they puts their passport in the waste -bin so we can't sens 'em back..."

Archie Bunker was a character in the American TV program "All In The Family," which was based on a British program called "Till Death Do Us Part." All In The Family was on TV from 1971-1979, and Till Death Do Us Part was on BBC1 from 1965-1975.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,078 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o2icJ8-R2A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality