Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2020, 10:35 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I willing to let you propose the ‘rules’ of the game. I only ask that the rules are equitable.
OK, the rule is you must be
1) honest,
2) rational, and
3) not run away from those questions.

Quote:
I realize you’re likely not interested in a civil dialog because it wouldn’t be as therapeutic or cathartic for you, since your primary motivation on R&S is to mock and insult believers. I think it would be good for you to stray outside your comfort zone a little for the sake of personal growth.
Rule 1 broken already.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:36 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
it appears that when conversation is proposed that is civil and non-combative
that is met with objections.

it is interesting to observe. remove the invective, and see what the conversation looks like.
or even whether it occurs at all.
telling indeed.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:40 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
OK, the rule is you must be
1) honest,
2) rational, and
3) not run away from those questions.

Rule 1 broken already.
LOL. Told ya!

Old 03-02-2020, 10:42 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it appears that when conversation is proposed that is civil and non-combative
that is met with objections.
That is because the proposal is dishonest.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:08 PM

2,962 posts, read 863,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is because the proposal is dishonest.
There's an easy way to determine if my proposal is honest...
Engage with me in a civil, non-combative conversation and let’s see how it goes. If you're so sure of the outcome you should be eager to prove me dishonest.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Since the title of this thread caught my interest this morning, I thought to have a look. I started at the beginning as I always try to do, but needless to say a good time has passed since you started this thread and there is too much "water under the bridge" for me to consider in full at this point. After reading what I suspected I would find in the first few pages, I jumped to the end mostly to see if you were still involved. I'm please to find you are.

Also of course this most recent comment of yours well captures how these threads tend to go as a rule. We just can't help ourselves, but all that aside, I'd just like to offer my simple "two bits" like mensaguy offered early on, also wondering why the simple need be made so complicated. Curious your thoughts about this...

Much is made about what we cannot know and of course we cannot know with absolute certainty the answer to questions like how the universe began. Though this is an obvious truth, we can treat all these questions like we do a case being tried in court, with a jury. We can arrive at conclusions based on facts that allow us to develop a level of confidence about the truth "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Perhaps more importantly, we can agree what claims are simply not supported by the facts as reasoned in an intelligent objective manner, as any good jury should.

We can certainly agree about what we don't know. We may even end up with a "hung jury" regarding conclusions that are not well justified by the facts, and no doubt any good judge would warn against drawing such conclusions. This caution, in my opinion, is one that atheists respect in a way that religious people don't, and this lack of respect is what tends to pervert the truth in the "court of public opinion."

Essentially I'm talking about what we CAN know beyond a reasonable doubt versus what we should be very careful to claim about what we can't.
I’d be happy to have that conversation with you. Can we do that via private message to avoid all the clutter that will surely result from the hostile peanut gallery?

Old 03-02-2020, 02:00 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,681 times
Welcome back, LM. I was wondering where you were.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
I’d be happy to have that conversation with you. Can we do that via private message to avoid all the clutter that will surely result from the hostile peanut gallery?
You mean you want your proselytizing hustling to go unchallenged.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You mean you want your proselytizing hustling to go unchallenged.
Would you like to have a civil conversation with me, Marc? Engage with me in a non-combative discussion and let’s see how it goes.

Old 03-02-2020, 03:59 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Stop attempting to manipulate and use the forum as it is intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality