Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 12:21 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew

Check out: The Premier Online Debate Website | Debate.org
They host 1-on-1 debates, with voting.

Are there any atheists/anti-theists on R&S who are confident enough to engage in such a debate format? I don’t think so. The suggestion of a debate, with any structure at all, is usually enough to cause the atheists/anti-theists to scatter with only flimsy excuses for their timidity.
---------------

Flimsy excuse/non-answer #2:

Harry Diogenes: The irony is it is you who constantly runs, Forrest IWas.
Cue another refuted video / ad hominem in 3, 2, 1 ...

Flimsy excuse/non-answer #3:
[Posted by Iwasmadenew] What about you, Harry? Let’s you and I have a 1-on-1 debate on debate.org. I won’t run. Will you? [*insert flimsy excuse here*]

Harry Diogenes: Stop playing games. You still have to honestly answer the questions asked of you here, using your own words (no Youtube, no links to apologetic web sites), and using no personal attacks. [here is where you insert the flimsy excuse that my response is a flimsy excuse , because you will do anything to avoid answering the questions we have asked you.]
So you refuse to answer the questions.

OK, that means we have won the debate atheists 2, IWas 2 home goals.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
It's what they are compelled to do anyway. Religious people on R&S are what attract atheists/anti-theists to R&S. If there was no religious people here to argue with they would be unfulfilled and would have to search elsewhere for religious people to criticize. They don't want me to stop inspiring them to waste their time. I'm giving them what they crave. They're just upset because I don't waste more of my time giving it to them. I do sympathize to some extent. I can appreciate that it's anxiety-provoking to not know when your next "fix" will be.
Ironic considering your Pseudologia fantastica.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
No cigar for you either, and no soup as well. Brains haven't got enough power to transmit diddly for any meaningful distance at all. It's a simple fact of the laws of physics and field strength.

No, you can't go making up some 'majick' to claim otherwise. You can transmit all the whacky crap you want along the twisted neural pathways inside your own skull, but it doesn't go anywhere until your fingers hit the keyboard and the verbal diarrhea flows out...and lately, it seems to be even whackier than it used to be.
Indeed. We had one jargonaut who claimed the energy of a stationary system could be calculated by using the formula work = force applied * distance moved. When it was pointed out that the distance moved of a stationary system was zero, their only response was to rant that we were iron curtain science denying Marxists, and then they laughed so much their posterior fell off. It was very amusing to watch the dancing around their error.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, they must act as a gang, using the terms "us" and "we" to reinforce their tribal, group-think.
No, we (including you) use terms like "us" and "we" because that is how language works. English, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, and Koine Greek (which Bible 'scholar' does not know) all do this.

But it is ironic you respond to your gang, using the terms "us" and "we" to reinforce your tribal group-think. But when you have no credible arguments, and have lost your debate 2:0, all you have left is to lash out.

Old 04-08-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Braxton Hunter: Tom Jump & The Truth About His Debate Method

Braxton is skilled at recognizing the tactics of Atheists/Anti-theists! Very helpful.
I've learned that many of the MATForce gang are "pinhole thinkers"

[skip to 20:00 min for the explanation of "pinhole thinking"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvSAH8G_EjY
Instead of your usual ad hominems, answer the questions you constantly evade. Remember, the score is atheists 2 : IWas 0.

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 04-08-2020 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: Who is this 'famous' Tom Jump?

Old 04-08-2020, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Flimsy excuse/non-answer #4:

normstad: "Perhaps I was not wrong about that box of crayons you found. Most of us have grown out of our childhood fetishes."

Hall of shame:
1. TRANSPONDER
2. Harry Diogenes
3. normstad
You are just adding to the list of people you refuse to debate.

What was that line about the stupidity of constantly beating yourself over the head with the stupid stick?

Quote:
I'm glad you asked. I know you recently posted a list of characteristics that you think "fundy's" and militant atheists share (copied below). I do want to better understand your views on this topic.
You've previously stated these characteristics. Do they belong on your list?

* immature "teenage" brain.
* they get very emotional when worldview is challenged
I must ask again, what was that line about the stupidity of you constantly beating yourself over the head with the stupid stick?

Old 04-08-2020, 04:36 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Rather than playing with color like a child that just discovered crayons, learn to properly use the function.

You've been here long enough to know how.
Indeed. We went to some effort to include quoting instructions in the Rules thread.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
I'm glad you asked. I know you recently posted a list of characteristics that you think "fundy's" and militant atheists share (copied below). I do want to better understand your views on this topic.
You've previously stated these characteristics. Do they belong on your list?

* immature "teenage" brain.
* they get very emotional when worldview is challenged
"attack of the teenage brain"

Yes, there are a few ways to approach this. the list is just a quick reference point and not locked in stone. We all, at least the ones that post a bunch, have these to a degree. Lets face it, posting here a bunch isn't that normal. There are other motives then just anti-god and god here.

I am very easy to understand. Put the claims up side by side. List the facts and the reasons why (weights) people say the things they do. Based on that list determine a relative reliability scale. Test and test again.

I am not anti-god or god. I just don't care if there is or is not a god.

Use any personality types that you can find on the internet. jung, primary colors, cluster A-B-C, whatever. I use five major types of people to narrow down what and why they are saying the things they do.

I use mental illness, drug addiction, alcoholism, abused, and the rest of us. So a cluster-B that is an alcoholic? what would that look like? list how you think those personality types would express a statement of belief about god. Does it match what we see here?

The dividing line is really how the statement of belief about god affects a persons world view. More importantly, what event in that person's life made their feeling about god/anti-god as the string they base everything else in lives off of.

A good measure is using something simple that most rational people can see and understand and see how the person reacts.

On my teams side ... the red flags for reliability.

I hear some of us feel religion is so dangerous we must do anything to stop it. I hear I didn't know we were here to place our sides views side by side? I hear, we shouldn't question each other because its divisive and we are here to stop religion. I hear comparing god claims to the universe shouldn't be use because it can confuse people and make atheism harder to sell. I hear we all end up in the same place so why question us? Thats woo! type things.

none of that is evidence but they do shed light on the weights people assign to an observation. Those are about using a statement of belief about god to affect social change. To me, they are religious looking. They are not scientific when it comes to describing how the universe works.

What do you see on theist side that clues you in that a person is going to far? What does an "attack from a theist teenage brain" look like?

Last edited by Arach Angle; 04-08-2020 at 05:24 AM..

Old 04-08-2020, 10:09 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I have sometimes wondered how much transmission power the brain actually has. It takes sensitive instruments to measure brain activity in contact with the skin. And then I wonder how someone can read my mind. I have experienced this once. I was about to say something to the guy but before I could, he looked at me and said my exact words! So he wasn't even looking at me - he was talking to someone else!? He was reputed to be able to read my wife's daughters mind (he was a boyfriend - ex-boyfriend).

Reading body language is one thing, but the exact words and without looking at the person? Well I suppose there is nothing wrong with having the same thoughts at the same time and seeing someone wanting to say something in one's peripheral vision and using the same words because they were the appropriate words but it was still weird.
I knew you were going to post that comment!

I was just waiting to see how long it was going to take...

Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
True. We do have a tendency to only remember or note the occasional happenstances.

The weird part is this guy was known for that sort of thing. He and his girlfriend were 'banned' from teaming up in word guessing games because they could 'read each other's minds'. Or he could 'read' her mind. He was a bit crazy by all reports. It must be a skill he has, being able to (sometimes?) correctly guess what others are thinking (under conducive conditions). But it gives the impression that there is a mind connection.

How well is quantum entanglement understood?
What's weird is someone who can read minds and doesn't play poker to make an easy fortune...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality