Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2019, 09:40 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, this particular poster did get into "more nitty-gritty personal matters"...often.

Okay fair enough. I dropped out of the thread a good time ago.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Just to interject. I'm often mistaken on this board as a 'he'. I'm a she, but sometimes I just let the issue slide, unless I have got to know the poster a little better. I'm can't be offended on an anonymous board that someone might wrongly assume my gender. In the middle of a debate, suddenly announcing that you are in fact a 'she' can occasionally change the dynamics of the discussion or cut the discussion dead. And as others have said, the gender of the poster is really for the most part irrelevant, unless you start getting into more nitty-gritty personal matters.
I'm old fashioned (and perhaps sexist) enough to know that knowing that a poster is a she Does indeed change the dynamic and, while saying the same argument, I would perhaps write the post very differently. How (as a female) you feel about being 'treated differently I don't know. But it is, I think is likely, to be what I do.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm old fashioned (and perhaps sexist) enough to know that knowing that a poster is a she Does indeed change the dynamic and, while saying the same argument, I would perhaps write the post very differently. How (as a female) you feel about being 'treated differently I don't know. But it is, I think is likely, to be what I do.

I think actually that's fair enough. In real life there are clearly differences in how we discuss things with different genders, so knowing that person is a different gender on an internet board will have same effect. Hence, I sometimes let it go if someone assumes I'm male. I don't mind either way.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I think actually that's fair enough. In real life there are clearly differences in how we discuss things with different genders, so knowing that person is a different gender on an internet board will have same effect. Hence, I sometimes let it go if someone assumes I'm male. I don't mind either way.
Then I will carry on in my outmoded gender - conscious mindset and scrooting the 'About me' section before going into the attack, because one needs to know where it is permissible to grab.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Then I will carry on in my outmoded gender - conscious mindset and scrooting the 'About me' section before going into the attack, because one needs to know where it is permissible to grab.

Not sure it's permissible to grab, whatever the gender Trans, but let's not go down that road - probably for a different forum altogether.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:55 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Just to interject. I'm often mistaken on this board as a 'he'. I'm a she, but sometimes I just let the issue slide, unless I have got to know the poster a little better. I'm can't be offended on an anonymous board that someone might wrongly assume my gender. In the middle of a debate, suddenly announcing that you are in fact a 'she' can occasionally change the dynamics of the discussion or cut the discussion dead. And as others have said, the gender of the poster is really for the most part irrelevant, unless you start getting into more nitty-gritty personal matters.
Thanks for clarifying. I still think Iwas is a she. I like to know one way or the other. I feel kinda embarrassed to get someone's gender wrong, so I like to be corrected on forums.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:15 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Honestly, I would have taken issue that atheism could be compared to Christianity in the direction Iwasmadenew intended, which to be honest, I still don't know what was the point beyond the obvious. I am an atheist but I couldn't possibly go into the detail that Tired of the Nonsense provided and don't think it is necessary to go into that detail to be an atheist.

It really should have been Iwasmadenew's thinking vs. Tired of the Nonsense's thinking.

Last edited by elyn02; 10-13-2019 at 06:01 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 10:14 AM

It is relevant to topic that the discussion was a rather extreme example of what we sometimes get - the Theists trying to skew the thinking before the discussion even gets started. Because of course the way one thinks rather conditions the way evidence and reason are used in the course of the discussion.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
It is relevant to topic that the discussion was a rather extreme example of what we sometimes get - the Theists trying to skew the thinking before the discussion even gets started.
I agree. The first two OP questions are 'gotcha' questions that imply only a god can be the answer; and the third is begging the question, that only a god can be the answer.

They are just some of the usual standard questions by theists who do not, or can not, think for themselves.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:25 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
I am not suggesting that Iwasmadenew's thinking was at the level of Tired of the Nonsense's thinking. Why would it be if it is being suggested that Christians can't think for themselves? The debate should center around doctrine vs doctrine, where possibly two people who can't think for themelves debate each other.

What about debating "I believe things that can't be observed" vs "I believe things that can be observed." That sounds more like spirituality vs " " I can't fill in the blank at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality