Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 08:21 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yeah, this is another reason why this very post will almost assuredly be my last post on City Data. At the very least, it will be my last post in the religion and spirituality sub-forum.

It seems the majority of Christians here these days actually believe that that is precisely what this forum is for. Atheists are no longer given the freedom to express their side of the argument because if we try, the Christians just act offended - which is just a small variation on whipping out the good ol' Persecution Card - and then go running off to a mod to get the post deleted or edited.

I really did enjoy the time I spent here - and I used to enjoy the back-and-forth between myself and some of the various believers who also posted here.

But that dynamic is long gone and it's just not worth sticking around.
It is my firm opinion that everyone has the right to be offended by whatever it is that they find offensive. Just as it is the right of everyone who lives in a free and open society to freely and openly express their opinions.

If I tell someone that they are fulla-bulla, and then provide them with precise examples of just why they are fulla-bulla, I recognize that there is every possibility that they will be offended as a result. All I can say is, "get over it." It's up to the other person to defend their conclusions. That's the point of free and open dialog. Hurt feeling are often an unavoidable part of the process.

Get over it!

Old 12-30-2019, 12:07 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no, actually, you are ignoring science just like theist. You are more like a theist than me because you don't want people to align the traits of god to the traits that science tells us about the universe. Thats way more theist like than me.

Me? I don't care how the universe works.

its real simple trans. claims that offer a mechanism, make predictions, and are repeatable are more valid than those that don't have them.

"There is either a god or there is not a god" doesn't meet a single criteria for evaluating a claim. so that claim is dead right there.

but, lets look at it in detail.

Is it better stated that there is or is not a god based on what we know? or is it more logical to say it something, its just not what theist say? only a person that needs to be lead by a statement of belief about god needs a yes/no, this/that, black/white. my way/or highway answer.

those that don't really care are not locked into such a black/white literal thinking.

That simple fact is trans "alive" fits the system around us (biosphere) better than your statement of belief telling us whats best for people. You can wait, thats fine, you don't know what you are talking about, I get it. But don't pretend you have the better answer.
All of that is quite back to front and a waste of reading -time. I don't know why i bother.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 PM

2,962 posts, read 862,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
All of that is quite back to front and a waste of reading -time. I don't know why i bother.
I already explained why you bother. You never succeed in fully convincing yourself about what you believe, so your fruitless compulsion continues, unabated.

Quote:
A rational assessment of this forum is that the most active posters are simply trying to convince themselves, yet never fully succeeding. For those people it’s necessary to hold onto the irrational belief that they might actually be able to convince others to change their beliefs. This irrational belief is necessary because without it they would have to face the reality that their years-long efforts on this forum have been a futile waste of their finite time on this planet.

If one is able to break the compulsive need to keep posting and spend a bit of time away from the forum the reality of the situation becomes much clearer. If you value your time, try it and see for yourself.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
— Albert Einstein

Old 12-30-2019, 09:54 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I already explained why you bother. You never succeed in fully convincing yourself about what you believe, so your fruitless compulsion continues, unabated.
Thank you oh doctor of Youtubeology.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:22 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Rubbish. Even if that were the case, and I was secretly hoping to be convinced to believe in God, I wouldn't get amything useful from Arach. Which is why he gets relegated to footnotes again, come New Year.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:45 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The rest of us have been wondering too.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:37 AM

16,761 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
No, you asserted without looking at other possibilities.

The fact that you insist on repeating this lie while ignoring rational refutations of your videos proves it is you who never succeed in fully convincing yourself about what you believe, so your fruitless compulsion continues, unabated.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, you asserted without looking at other possibilities.

The fact that you insist on repeating this lie while ignoring rational refutations of your videos proves it is you who never succeed in fully convincing yourself about what you believe, so your fruitless compulsion continues, unabated.
Harry, some of your responses give the impression they were written by a child.

Take a look at your comment feed, compare it to mine, then decide which of us is being driven by a fruitless compulsion to convince themselves. I can easily avoid posting. Obviously, you cannot.

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 12-31-2019 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-31-2019, 12:51 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Harry, some of your responses give the impression they were written by a child.

Take a look at your comment feed, compare it mine, then decide which of us is being driven by a fruitless compulsion to convince themselves. I can easily avoid posting. Obviously, you cannot.
You over-rate your postings, particularly those that so often consist of You Tube videos by others.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You over-rate your postings, particularly those that so often consist of You Tube videos by others.
Moderator cut: Personal insults removed. I was not rating my own posts. I was commenting on the frequentcy of posts.

Take a look at your own comment feed, compare it to mine, then decide which of us is being driven by a fruitless compulsion to convince themselves. I rarely post anymore. Obviously, you cannot resist your compulsion to post, even when a comment was not directed at you.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-31-2019 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: You thought "dumbing down" was OK? Geez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality