Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 12:00 PM

50,932 posts, read 24,432,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, I have had a rough 24 hours health wise (I have seizures, which unfortunately leave me less than 100% for a little while afterwards), so my brain isn't the sharpest this morning.
My brain isn't the sharpest almost any morning!

I hope you feel better. Long-term illnesses are hell to deal with. My issue is mostly centered around tachy-brady syndrome. Doesn't affect my thinking, but it sure affects what I can do physically and sometimes socially.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:01 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This one is pretty simple to answer. When states legalized same sex marriages before the Supreme Court ruling, every state law was very specific in making sure that any church could choose to refuse to host same sex weddings, and any religious official could refuse to perform such ceremonies. This made sure than a minister licensed to conduct weddings could refuse any that he felt were not good marriages, just like they do when they refuse to marry heterosexuals couples when they feel that the match may not be a good one.
Same in Canada. Each denomination gets to decide. The United Church supports same sex marriages, the Catholic Church does not. I think the Anglican or maybe another of the smaller one, each congression decides on their own. Some Jewish congregations do and some don't.

It's worked for 14 years so far.

I don't remember one case of a bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding but then Canadians as a rule have their religion more personal?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:03 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
and your private version of morality says systematic discrimination is worthy of stopping, then claiming that your subjective version of morality is objective (without proof of course) and the one that the law should enshrine.

Learn, amoeba, and become wiser as opposed to being a tyrannically opinionated bigot.
No, my public morality expressed in its laws says stop bullies, and the law in many places does enshrine it, certainly in the places under discussion.

Learn, amoeba

Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Why do you keep referring to the man who did nothing to help a single Jew.

Yet when the Allies tried some of the worst Nazis including the butcher of Babi Yar, then this pig decided to discover his "morality" and "compassion"....
1. Because I admire what he said.

2. Niemoller fessed up to his shortcomings. If you don't understand that, then you don't understand his most famous writing.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,939,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Rue the day?

Learn English. That word does not fit the discussion.
Clear typo for " rule," although that word is just as inappropriate in the context of the referenced post. How this poster could get the meaning just backwards is an enigma...unless he went to the same school as BF.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Clear typo for " rule," although that word is just as inappropriate in the context of the referenced post. How this poster could get the meaning just backwards is an enigma...unless he went to the same school as BF.
I don't think it is a typo, because that is a famous cliche.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:18 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,560,315 times
Quote:
Ask yourself what the effect of discouraging same sex committed relationships would be and then whether encouraging them might change those statistics.
doubling the amount of LGBT
years ago the highest estimate for LGBT was maximum 10%, now it is much higher

https://www.glaad.org/blog/new-glaad...identify-lgbtq

https://web.archive.org/web/20170318...R0AlsBVODgD.99

Quote:
If you accept the claims of gay activists and not a few shrinks that “people are born homosexual,” think again. In 2001-09, 92.1 percent of U.S. high school students said they were only sexually interested in the opposite sex. In 2015 (the last year for which we have data), 86.5 percent did – that’s 6 percent fewer, or 900,000 kids. A decade ago 5.1 percent (or 800,000) said they were sexually interested in their own sex; in 2015, 1.5 million (an additional 704,000 more) said so – an increase of 84.2 percent. And where 2.6 percent of kids in the 2001-9 survey said they were unsure of their sexual identity, 4 percent made the same report in 2015 – an increase of 53 percent.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/24/fewer-...n-ever-before/

Quote:
Nearly one in four teens, 23.6 percent, now identify in categories other than straight — the highest level ever recorded, the 2017 Youth Risk Behavior Survey has found.

https://consumer.healthday.com/sexua...rs-711494.html

Quote:
WEDNESDAY, June 1, 2016 (HealthDay News) -- The number of Americans who say they've had sexual activity with someone of the same gender has doubled since the 1970s, a new survey reveals.

So even if the numbers go down go slightly down for the few individual, systemically it goes up for everyone else, if you don't understand my point, learn statistics.

And no these numbers are way to big to be explained by lessening of "homophobia".

Old 08-30-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Still not cogent to the reason for the exemption, just to how people take advantage of loopholes for their selfish reasons the way you seem to be trying to do with "religious exemptions."

The exemption was not wanted, here read some prohibitionist legislative literature.
https://books.google.com/books?id=IN...q=wine&f=false

Old 08-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Let me simplify this for you.

Do you think you should have to live by Buddhist standards?
Do you think you should have to live by Mormon standards?
Do you think you should have to live by Hindu standards?
Do you think you should have to live by Scientology standards?
Do you think you should have to live by Nation of Yahweh standards?
Do you think you should have to live by Aghori standards?
Do you think you should have to live by Haitian Vodou standards?
Do you think you should have to live by Satanic Temple standards?
Do you think you should have to live by the Church Of Satan standards?
Why should I live by your standards, your standards are just as biased everyone on that list.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter in this context. Somebody's else's sexual lifestyle is not your business unless they're practicing it in public.
it's a health hazard, that is a scientific fact, denying facts doesn't make them true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality