Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I may be a somewhat unique person in this regard, but until yesterday I had no negative feelings about the Jewish religion. And it wasn't because I wasn't exposed to it. I had a very nice working relationship with the large Jewish temple that was adjacent to the school where I was principal, and was invited a number of times over to the temple for meetings of various sorts. I had a number of Jewish people on my staff, particularly in our Guidance Department (never thought about why that might be). I lived in an area where there was a fairly good-sized Jewish population. Never saw the issues that many people spoke out about Jewish people. And then NY Jew spouts his hate here for two days, and my opinion of the Jewish religion is changing for the negative. I suppose I'll balance things out over time, but people like NY Jew are not doing their religion any favors.

This website has convinced me that all atheists are bigots, and hate religious freedom.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Obviously, when you are calling for continued discrimination, common sense and decency aren't your strong suit...
Or the standards aren't something we have in common. You would prefer to insult based on that. I'd prefer to point out that people are different.

Quote:
Dress codes and discounts are not similar to discriminating against gay people. Places are free to have a dress code, offer discounts (like ladies nights), and things like that. If you are turning people away because they are gay (or any other similar reason), and it is a product or service you offer everyone else, you are discriminating. Period. Full stop. Religious or not is irrelevant.
That's the difference between discrimination and illegal discrimination. We allow the legal type. We don't allow the illegal type. Period. Comma. Semicolon for good luck. -30-

Quote:
No, you are doing it fully and correctly according to what you believe, and that isn't how we determine laws in this country. Like it or not.
Actually, it is. Check on the posts about wine during Prohibition.
Quote:
You can play holier than thou all you want, but you live in the US, not Israel.
A) I'm not playing holier than anyone. I don't know why you would say this.
B) You don't know where I live, do you?

Quote:
You can follow the laws and customs of this country, or risk the problems associated with not doing so. If you don't like that, may I suggest you do something else for work?
So you are saying I should follow the laws about free excercising of religion? Or not?
If you don't like that law, might I suggest you come to terms with your attitude towards the Constitution?

Old 08-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Or, you know, they could just follow the laws the agreed upon when opening their business in the first place, right? Your religion doesn't get to decide who gets discriminated against. Sorry, you aren't a special snowflake that can disregard laws.
1. non negotiable fact Judaism forbids selling them something for the "wedding"
2. if the caterer breaks Jewish law, we will not hire them.
3. the government will destroy Jewish businesses.

stop making laws to harm religious people.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:24 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post

YOU, my religion forbids me to open a store to sell to a gay "Wedding"
No, that would be YOU. You are the one choosing your religion and religious views.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:24 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Nicely stated, and one again I agree with you.

Realistically, a compromise must be made. Is it better to make the compromise on the part of secular government authority, where we know the law will apply evenly to all, or is it better to make the compromise on the part of religious doctrine and tradition, which means that literally any law can be ignored at any time, regardless of the consequences?

Obviously I am partial to a governmental solution which allows the maximal practical liberty for religious followers. I don't think the other solution works at all.
I'm not saying it would work (and I can list reasons why it won't) but for the sake of argument, I can say that if we require the compromise on the part of religious doctrine, we run afoul of God (lightning, thunder, pits of fire) but if we compromise government authority, we only compromise the word of man. As I said, I think it is a really tough situation.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:25 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post

A) I'm not playing holier than anyone. I don't know why you would say this.
B) You don't know where I live, do you?

So you are saying I should follow the laws about free excercising of religion? Or not?
If you don't like that law, might I suggest you come to terms with your attitude towards the Constitution?
It is a reasonable assumption that you are based in the US. Your profile location says NJ, and you are arguing about US constitutional issues. No need to get hostile on a largely irrelevant point.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
You do realize that your "No Jews Allowed" sign is, quite literally, what we are fighting against here, right???

you do realize that you are in effect making no Jewish Jews allowed

Quote:
Then don't sell items that would go to weddings. Problem solved.
got No Jewish Jews allowed to sell items for weddings , and you wonder why I keep screaming antisemitism.

If this position is not antisemitic, than either was the inquisition (we had an out then also)

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:

stop making laws to harm religious people.
Or how about religions stop making rules that harm other people and oppose state laws?

4,040 posts, read 2,708,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And your claim is that laws should not apply to Christians? You personally think that businesses are above the law.

Why can't the baker make a cake for two women? Why is he allowed to call said lesbian an abomination to her face and tell her mother that she was a terrible mother by having a lesbian daughter. Why was he able to go onto social media and broadcast that a lesbian had the nerve to ask for a wedding cake but the baking of a cake was what too un Christ like for him?

Calling a customer an abomination is not live and let live, insulting the mother who had just recently purchased her own wedding cake from him is not live and let live. Being upset at someone for filing a complaint about you discrimination and breaking the law is not live and let live.

Why showed the hatred, the baker or the women? The other posters or you?

If it was so hard to bake a wedding cake for the two women why didn't he try to work out something with them and another baker instead of insulting a woman and her mother when they came into the store? Defending a person calling another person an abomination and then saying that not supporting the one who spewed hateful words is being hateful is inexcuseable.

And where does it state in the Bible that a Christian cannot bake a wedding cake for two women or for two men ? Where does it state that in the Bible that bakers can insult their customer and her mother? And where in the law does it state that businesses are free to discriminate to whomever they want. We have come a long time since whites only dinners or no Jews , Mexicans or dogs signs.
So VERY well stated. Thank you.

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
you are the ones preaching that I should violate my religion, if you decide to act in ways that I think are deplorable is anyone doing anything to you through the government, but you want to make a tyrannical government to destroy religion.
You're so blind.

Where did I talk about a government destroying religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality