Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 05:13 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And you don't believe they are? I've seen you and many others demonstrate a bias toward religion. Is it too much of a stretch to go anti-Semite with that bias?
Do you even know what a "Semite" is? Seriously, do you?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:23 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Which works when the two sides can agree on a common middle, or one side is fored to give in.

Not the marriage but the right to marry. That is another great case of where religious law conflicts with secular law and the secular law still has the "you have a right to practice your religion" section. That's the problem. Maybe one could try to make a distinction between obligations within religion and optional (I "can't" eat pork, vs. "I am allowed to get married but I don't have to") but that would be complex.

I've been open about that. There are all sorts of discrimination in the world. Some legal, some not. Some moral, some not (or some dependent on various moralities)

Like "no shirt, no shoes"? That's ok with me, yes. The question of whether the legality is second-level (the legality is because I have a protected right to act in a way which would otherwise be illegal) is the issue here.

Just as in secular law, there are plenty of cases in Judaism in which one is allowed to discriminate, and a bunch where one is not.

You call their refusal to pursue the legal implications and move to change the law or the society but instead, simply walk away, as badass. I see it as lazy.
No shoes, no shirt isn't discrimination. The rule applies to everyone. If the rule was everyone must wear shoes and a shirt except Christians who can enter without that would be discrimination or if the rule was Christians must wear shoes and a shirt but no one else has to obey that rule.

Those women who quit are badasses. You can be a badass like that and pursue legal avenues as well. It's not either/or.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 08-29-2019 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-29-2019, 05:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Any time the Supreme Court rules, the ruling applies to all of the districts and jurisdictions under it. Throughout history, there have been many times that state laws and even state constitutional provisions have been rendered null and void when the Supreme Court rules against them. There is no appeal from a Supreme Court ruling. The ruling apply all over the United States.

When the Supreme Court ruled that same sex couples were entitled to the same treatment as other couples, under the due process clause of the 14th Amendment, that made same sex marriage legal all across the country, in every state and every county.

At that point, the people who voted against same sex marriages in several states were overruled. Period. End of story. Kim Davis violated a ruling of the Supreme Court as well as specific rulings of other federal judges. People should not violate judicial orders.
This is Religion and Spirituality wouldn't showing why you are wrong based constitutional law be completely off topic?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:33 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
BaptistFundie, NY JEW et al

How is the wedding cake tied to the sex act. How is a marriage tied to the sex act? If it was just for sex why would anyone get married?
Thi

The sifra, the talmud in chullin, berashis rabbah, and vayikra rabbah specifically talk against "homosexual marriage"

These books are basically all in the cannon of Jewish oral law, all preceded the Koran

Quote:
My only comprise I would see fair to both sides is that the baker or whoever must publish on their website and at the entry of who or what they will not serve so that everyone can choose to avoid these places if they wish. So if a baker has a sign that they will not sell wedding cakes to gays or Jews we can then decide if we wish to buy cinnamon buns from that sort of person. If NY JEW wants to be able t9 refuse to sell me products he will sell Christians I should then have the right to know before I enter his store and my wife should be able to know that he discriminates against me before she decides if she wishes to spend money there.

I'm fine with this compromise depending on the actual language, will you agree to lobby the NY legislature?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It isn't much of a stretch because you are looking as bad as NYJew and his constant attempts to play the 'Anti -semitism if you don't let us do what we like' card. Same as the line by Fundies on the gay Cake thing.

You're looking bad in taking a swipe at him but really using it to swipe at the 'most of the folks' here. And I bet you don't mean the Theists.

Within the Law, BF, within the law. You seem to be ignoring this factor of people being able to do what they like in their own homes or businesses - within the law.

If a grocer wants to smoke in their shop and another doesn't - their choice. If laws are passed banning smoking in a shop - then you don't do it and claiming that as a Rastafarian (by analogy) your 'Religion' requires you smoke, does not entitle him to buck the law. It's the same with CD. Why do you think Copyright material is banned. Because their religion forbids it? It's against the law. Why can't you people get this simple matter through your heads?

Well I can guess why - it's like science, history or anything else (1); if it conflicts with the religion, it is to be disregarded.

(1) Morals for instance. IWMN posted that massacre being right or wrong is a matter of opinion. "Wow" as you say.
Interestingly enough once smoking was banned indoors this is the exact argument bar owners used. They thought it would hurt business so they tried to say that they should have jurisdiction within their business. They lost.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:43 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Interestingly enough once smoking was banned indoors this is the exact argument bar owners used. They thought it would hurt business so they tried to say that they should have jurisdiction within their business. They lost.
Thank you. I remember what a relief it was when public smoking stopped - and i'm a smoker myself, but I observe the law (unlike those who hide (puffing away furiously) behind walls or street furniture hoping they won't be spotted (they never are). 'Vaping' was also a nice way of smoking in public while pretending they were 'stopping'.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you. I remember what a relief it was when public smoking stopped - and i'm a smoker myself, but I observe the law (unlike those who hide (puffing away furiously) behind walls or street furniture hoping they won't be spotted (they never are). 'Vaping' was also a nice way of smoking in public while pretending they were 'stopping'.
But...but...but what about your sincerely held belief that you can smoke wherever you want? I don't think that law was to protect anyone. I think they deliberately did it just to persecute smokers. Oh the inhumanity!

teehee it's a good thing smokers are notoriously resilient and don't have to resort to blubbering.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:57 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
But...but...but what about your sincerely held belief that you can smoke wherever you want? I don't think that law was to protect anyone. I think they deliberately did it just to persecute smokers. Oh the inhumanity!

teehee it's a good thing smokers are notoriously resilient and don't have to resort to blubbering.
I trust that the day is far off when the smoke detector van comes round looking for traces of smoking in your own home. Let someone else open the case to prove that religious indoctrination of children should now be forbidden within the family.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
This is Religion and Spirituality wouldn't showing why you are wrong based constitutional law be completely off topic?
You're going to argue with a mod over what is on or off topic?

But to answer the question -- numerous post of yours have said not a word about the actual topic -- Kim Davis and marriage licenses for gays and lesbians.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And you don't believe they are? I've seen you and many others demonstrate a bias toward religion. Is it too much of a stretch to go anti-Semite with that bias?
Let's make something clear -- at least in my case. There are 4 (or perhaps 5) posters in this forum who have turned me from being a "the christian religion is not for me" person, into a person who is biased against religion. Congratulations...your posts were instrumental in my conversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality