Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. Sometimes God did command his people, living 3000 years ago, under the Mosaic Law, to wipe out an entire enemy nation. Undoubtedly that included babies. That's how war happened. It's what the Canaanites would have done to Israel. He did that to preserve the Messianic line. Holiness is that important to him.

But no, murdering babies by our decision today is NEVER ok. You are not God. I am not God. God has not commanded any man today to kill a baby, nor would he. There is no Messianic line to keep pure, and we have not been promised a land to go in and possess. To make the argument that the Bible justifies infanticide is hugely dishonest.
Idiotic. Disgusting. Doesn't the Gospels say that God can create children of Abraham out of the stones? You seriously believe that genocide was justified because that was the only way to have a messiah appear? Isn't it the case that God can create a messiah by just saying somebody is one? It's making God bound by the rules of Christian doctrine, that's what it is; and is idiotic, disgusting and I'd almost say insulting to God. If there was such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:33 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Idiotic. Disgusting. Doesn't the Gospels say that God can create children of Abraham out of the stones? You seriously believe that genocide was justified because that was the only way to have a messiah appear? Isn't it the case that God can create a messiah by just saying somebody is one? It's making God bound by the rules of Christian doctrine, that's what it is; and is idiotic, disgusting and I'd almost say insulting to God. If there was such a thing.
I'm not aware that God asked you or me for an opinion on it. But at least you're being honest that you just don't like it.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Not only is the god-thing BF worships a psychotic mass murderer, it's also a stupid, bungling, psychotic mass murderer.

No surprise fundies are impressed by it, though.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:17 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Have you read Deuteronomy? Deuteronomy 6:4-5 "“Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5“You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

It's what Jesus based that command on. Included in the Law were commands about how to love our neighbor.
What? What has a commandment to do with the Israelis loving their god to do with loving their neighbor? You might as well argue Jesus based his command on Auntie Erica's Apfelstrudel recipe.

Quote:
Of course it is. Murder is never acceptable. We've established that.
Then your god is evil.

Quote:
You seem to fail to grasp the concept that a creator is free to do with his creation what he wants.
Your invented assertion is only true for an immoral god.

Quote:
If God decides to kill me, it's not murder.
OK, so morality is NOT objective. I do wish you could keep your arguments straight.

Quote:
No. I didn't.
How would you know, you seem so confused about everything.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
What? What has a commandment to do with the Israelis loving their god to do with loving their neighbor? You might as well argue Jesus based his command on Auntie Erica's Apfelstrudel recipe.
If one is loving God, then one is obeying his commands to treat his neighbor well.
Quote:

Then your god is evil.
Because he says murder is evil? Really? You like murder that much?
Quote:

Your invented assertion is only true for an immoral god.
I'm not sure God really cares what you think about him. He is God. He makes the rules.
Quote:

OK, so morality is NOT objective. I do wish you could keep your arguments straight.
Nope. You can feel free to destroy anything you create from nothing, as well.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:27 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
We have seen this in other Genocides as well, like Rwanda in 1994.
Church Pastors and Priests offered to give sanctuary in churches to the Tutsis, only to then betray them and hand them over to the Hutu militias and machete-wielding butchers, resulting in numerous church massacres with many thousands of innocents systematically hacked to death. (some of these massacres took all day)
Anyone, whether Christian or not, can turn on their faith, esp in war and genocide situations.
The "Never Again" statement from WW2, regarding Genocides, is one of the biggest jokes of the century.
1. Very poor choice of words in last sentence. The "Never Again" concept in re the Nazi holocaust wasn't a joke. It was and continues to be said in all seriousness. But as when we say anything as a society, we must also remember how we as individuals behave. We make New Years Resolutions. Sometimes we fail. We go to confession either formally or in our thoughts and prayers. Sometimes we fail. Pledges we make often crumble, but we still state privately or publicly our good intentions and goals and aspirations.

2. As to turning on their faith...maybe I'd say it differently. That people often turn on and off their faith (I know, different meaning). It's part of how we sometimes compartmentalize our lives.

3. And then there's the I do what I gotta do part of life.

4. There are quite a few christians here who think that they behave based on their faith, as if all non-christians are immoral. Nah. For the most part, people behave based on their culture, not on their faith.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
If one is loving God, then one is obeying his commands to treat his neighbor well.
So if one is loving a god who commands you to torture your neighbors, you are still treating your neighbors well? You are really confused with your arguments.

Quote:
Because he says murder is evil? Really?
No, because you said morality is objective. So anything that is immoral for you is immoral for your god.

Quote:
You like murder that much?
What has this to do with me? You really are confused.

Quote:
I'm not sure God really cares what you think about him.
Again, this is not about me. YOU said your god is immoral, not me. You really are confused.

Quote:
He is God. He makes the rules.
So your god ignores objective morality. Once again you admit your god is immoral.

Quote:
Nope. You can feel free to destroy anything you create from nothing, as well.
Not if mortality is objective. So once again you admit your god is immoral.

And you worship this most immoral monster.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So if one is loving a god who commands you to torture your neighbors, you are still treating your neighbors well? You are really confused with your arguments.
If you're loving a god that commands you to torture your neighbors, I'd suggest you need to seek mental help. God has made it clear that he will not ask Christians to do that.
Quote:

No, because you said morality is objective. So anything that is immoral for you is immoral for your god.
First, I never said murder was ever "right".

We can all do what we want with our creation. God killing his creation is not murder.

If you wish to create something out of thin air, then you can destroy it.
Quote:

Again, this is not about me. YOU said your god is immoral, not me. You really are confused.
You are basing all of this off of your opinions. You're making subjective statements. But your opinion does not determine fact.
Quote:

So your god ignores objective morality. Once again you admit your god is immoral.
I never suggested anything close to that. I said he can do what he wants with his creation, as can you. It's very objective.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:31 AM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
If you're loving a god that commands you to torture your neighbors, I'd suggest you need to seek mental help. God has made it clear that he will not ask Christians to do that.

First, I never said murder was ever "right".

We can all do what we want with our creation. God killing his creation is not murder.

If you wish to create something out of thin air, then you can destroy it.

You are basing all of this off of your opinions. You're making subjective statements. But your opinion does not determine fact.

I never suggested anything close to that. I said he can do what he wants with his creation, as can you. It's very objective.
You sound like a slave.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You sound like a slave.
I'm a slave to Christ. He is not my servant. I'm his. A Christian needs to realize it's God that is in charge, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality