Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 04:39 AM

7,568 posts, read 4,111,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Interesting how the argument has reverted to ad hominem stuff about atheists and a bit of trying to validate Christianity their their supposed 'good works'. It suits theism better than actually making a case for why we should believe the claims of Christianity.
As it should. The only argument that can be made for the Christian god is that if people can agree that an elusive god can exist, then it is possible for the Christian bible to be true. If that is the case, might as well believe in anything we are told because then anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 04:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,792,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Good answer!
Not really.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:13 AM

50,154 posts, read 23,799,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
God takes me to all the levels of Heaven & shows me how He creates Universes. He shows me unlimited wonders including His Supreme Science with which He controls all time & space, & if you do some research you will see that The Angels of God bless countless people daily with Angelic Visitations & journeys to Heaven etc etc. That is just a tiny bit of what God does & it's the reason you all should believe in God & open your minds & hearts to Him. I have never tried to convert people to Christianity however. That is not a necessity. God is above all religions. They know a little about God & teach even less. So it's better if you meet God in person & don't expect religions to show Him to you.
I think you think that you are special and above ordinary people.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 AM

21,869 posts, read 19,019,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is nothing in the post you quote that indicates that. at all.
He is describing his experience of what he has seen.

People who see angels are simply describing what they see.
Are you familiar with Lorna Byrne, a woman from Ireland?

Sharing experiences is what people do on CD.
Reading about other people's experiences is helpful to very many people.

People see angels. People are shown the workings of non-physical dimensions. This has occurred within humanity for tens of thousands of years. So deal with it. Without imputing to others denigrating motives that are simply not there.

This knee jerk leap to denigrating others is a behavior we see here on CD, frequently and consistently displayed by in-your-face atheists.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-04-2019 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
There is nothing in the post you quote that indicates that. at all.
He is describing his experience of what he has seen.

People who see angels are simply describing what they see.
Are you familiar with Lorna Byrne, a woman from Ireland?

Sharing experiences is what people do on CD.
Reading about other people's experiences is helpful to very many people.

People see angels. People are shown the workings of non-physical dimensions. This has occurred for tens of thousands of years.
So deal with it. Without imputing denigrating motives that are simply not there.
You're entitled to your viewpoint.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:46 AM

15,792 posts, read 6,203,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Agreed. It's not what they say; it's the conviction they say it with that is the problem. I was interacting on the Politics forum yesterday and noticed how a fair amount of people cannot seem to comprehend when they are in opinion mode or fact mode. It seems to happen here as well. I got curious and looked it up and lo and behold.....turns out we are really crappy at it as a group.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...s-in-the-news/

The younger generation seems to possess this skill though.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/pe...t-from-opinion

That second link meshes with my experience. I'm 50 and went on reddit where the demographic is younger. I got a lesson pretty quickly in backing up what I say with data.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:35 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,587,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Interesting how the argument has reverted to ad hominem stuff about atheists and a bit of trying to validate Christianity their their supposed 'good works'. It suits theism better than actually making a case for why we should believe the claims of Christianity.
I clicked on this thread because I still don't know what a "new atheist" is, either. I thought I might learn something. I'm so silly sometimes.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:17 PM

16,584 posts, read 15,507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I clicked on this thread because I still don't know what a "new atheist" is, either. I thought I might learn something. I'm so silly sometimes.
You'd think that after all these posts that a "New Atheist" would have come forward, but, interestingly enough, that has not happened.

Where are all the "New Atheists?"

Old 09-04-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You'd think that after all these posts that a "New Atheist" would have come forward, but, interestingly enough, that has not happened.

I'm a new atheist. I just became an atheist less than 2 years ago.

But I guess that's not what they meant.

Maybe they're confused.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,479,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

I'd thought that was made clear. a New Atheist is any atheists who lives in the the time when atheism has a voice. technically. Specifically they are those who avail themselves of the chance to talk as distinct from those who just aren't bothered. More specifically, they are those who see themselves as part of the push -back against the influence of religion in society. Those are the ones who are called 'Anti -Theist' (which some call themselves - i don't as i am not anti - it but anti the amount of influence it has - or 'militant' which is a term i tend to apply to myself, though it does have connotations of 'any means is ok'. I do have limits to the methods I'd approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality