Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 11:06 AM

11,020 posts, read 5,982,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're correct that science is not the only field of study. But scientific thinking can also apply in all -- or at least most -- fields.

There is a constant battle between science and religion, and the greatest abuse comes from christians who will twist something to make it look like science in order to support their belief.

I see no real connection between art and food.
I've been to churches where the minister ridicules science and claims scientists to be wrong. He never mentioned his own qualifications though. Each time I went to church with my wife, part of the sermon was about ridiculing science, an anti-evolution rant, followed by no sex before marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:10 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I've been to churches where the minister ridicules science and claims scientists to be wrong. He never mentioned his own qualifications though. Each time I went to church with my wife, part of the sermon was about ridiculing science, an anti-evolution rant, followed by no sex before marriage.
When I was teaching high school earth science, I was told by several religious parents when they complained about the earth history/evolution unit (that was mandated) that they literally didn't want their child to think.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
To be fair, there are plenty of people with no theological training whatsoever that are making all sorts of idiotic statements about God on this forum.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be fair, there are plenty of people with no theological training whatsoever that are making all sorts of idiotic statements about God on this forum.
We've noticed.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
That's weird. Even when I was a kid in the rather-fundie/Calvinist church we attended, I never heard sermons against evolution. I know some church people didn't "believe in evolution", but my parents, particularly my father, felt that it didn't conflict with the Bible.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
So only people with theological training should be making statements about god. Good. That eliminates most of the christians who post here.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
When I was teaching high school earth science, I was told by several religious parents when they complained about the earth history/evolution unit (that was mandated) that they literally didn't want their child to think.
That would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
So only people with theological training should be making statements about god. Good. That eliminates most of the christians who post here.
Only if you believe that the only people qualified to speak on any scientific topic are those with schooling in that particular field. The post I referred to was questioning the qualifications of a pastor that was speaking on a scientific topic.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That would be funny if it weren't so sad.
Well there is a funny part of it.

I had been teaching earth science and that unit for 13 years, and each year at the end of the unit I gave a basic unit test. All factual stuff about the concepts. That last year (before I went into admin), I decided to give a different type of test. An essay. Students could choose either essay -- Why I believe in evolution or Why I don't believe in evolution. As long as they wrote a page or two about why -- either way -- they got an A. That was the year I got the most complaints.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Only if you believe that the only people qualified to speak on any scientific topic are those with schooling in that particular field.
I don't believe I've ever said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality