Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,345 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know that lots of the people who enjoy coming here have strong faiths and a highly developed intuition, so I want to ask you, have you ever had a face to face encounter with evil?

What have you done in these cases? did you run away, or you looked at it straight in the eye with a piercing glare?

imho if you fear evil, it means that you still keep it in your heart, but if you face it remembering that God is always to you, God will incinerate it for you with his light!

Boooooooooom!!!!!

Last edited by Travelling fella; 12-01-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 01:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Yes, I have had encountered evil a few times in my life.
When I was younger I often travelled to college with the city bus.
At one time a passenger wearing a ski-mask entered the bus which was packed to the brim with other students. I thought nothing of it because it was winter and he paid his fare like any other person.
Suddenly the guy starts hitting a Moroccan guy.
The Moroccan was totally stunned and he kept asking: Who are you?
At first I was surprised but after I recovered, me and just 1 other man in bus full of people intervened. As soon as the masked guy noticed that he was being approached he jumped out of the bus (who was still standing still at a bus stop).
I hadn’t noticed that the masked guy had some sort of baton, otherwise I would have acted quicker and had used lethal force. I just hadn't recognise him as a threat as he entered the bus. And when he was hitting the Moroccan I did not notice the baton and just thought it was a prank.
Who in his right mind would attack someone else in a fully loaded bus in full daylight?
This was a decade before 9/11.
I was really disappointed in the fact that out of possibly 50 people only 2 persons (including myself) were prepared to intervene.

I probably reacted faster than others because I had a previous experience with people doing nothing when someone called for help.
When I was much younger me and my brother and nephews went to the public swimming pool. My nephew who could not really swim yet went to go of a waterslide on the other side of deep end of the pool.
So when he entered the water and could not stand he kept calling for help.
The pool was full with other kids, but nobody acted. They probably thought it was a prank and I had to swim fast from the other side of the pool to prevent my nephew from drowning.
This is when I learned that it is better not to be too dependant on others.
And that acting is better than to do nothing.

But sometimes I'm of the opinion that people rather do nothing than risk themselves to help others.
But both times I did not think of God, the afterlife, or any other religious contemplation.
I was far too busy trying to help someone.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Yes, I have had encountered evil a few times in my life.
When I was younger I often travelled to college with the city bus.
At one time a passenger wearing a ski-mask entered the bus which was packed to the brim with other students. I thought nothing of it because it was winter and he paid his fare like any other person.
Suddenly the guy starts hitting a Moroccan guy.
The Moroccan was totally stunned and he kept asking: Who are you?
At first I was surprised but after I recovered, me and just 1 other man in bus full of people intervened. As soon as the masked guy noticed that he was being approached he jumped out of the bus (who was still standing still at a bus stop).
I hadn’t noticed that the masked guy had some sort of baton, otherwise I would have acted quicker and had used lethal force. I just hadn't recognise him as a threat as he entered the bus. And when he was hitting the Moroccan I did not notice the baton and just thought it was a prank.
Who in his right mind would attack someone else in a fully loaded bus in full daylight?
This was a decade before 9/11.
I was really disappointed in the fact that out of possibly 50 people only 2 persons (including myself) were prepared to intervene.

I probably reacted faster than others because I had a previous experience with people doing nothing when someone called for help.
When I was much younger me and my brother and nephews went to the public swimming pool. My nephew who could not really swim yet went to go of a waterslide on the other side of deep end of the pool.
So when he entered the water and could not stand he kept calling for help.
The pool was full with other kids, but nobody acted. They probably thought it was a prank and I had to swim fast from the other side of the pool to prevent my nephew from drowning.
This is when I learned that it is better not to be too dependant on others.
And that acting is better than to do nothing.

But sometimes I'm of the opinion that people rather do nothing than risk themselves to help others.
But both times I did not think of God, the afterlife, or any other religious contemplation.
I was far too busy trying to help someone.
Shocking story!!! and imho even if you were too busy to help someone, God was with you at that time, God bless

Old 12-01-2007, 05:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
I've encountered evil on quite a few occasions.

Evil can be disguised, but if not evident during an acute incident, hindsight makes for good portraits as ugly as Dorian Gray.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,895 times
Twice. One was in the initial interview of a fellow arrested, then later convicted, for murdering a delivery man with a knife to steal about $100. There was simply no "humanity" in his eyes, or his demeanor. He neither denied nor admitted the crime. He was absolutely cold. The other was a young man who escaped from a juvenile corrections facility. He held off his pursuers with a small caliber rifle, calmly shooting at them from behind cover until he ran out of ammunition. Luckily no one was hurt...but that young man had same lack of human response the murderer demonstrated. Both left me cold and empty.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
many times. fortunately because it comes on real fast i have never had time to get scared. the nature of evil is it can change forms. so it has no gender or race.
no god did not vaporize it. sometimes i had to fight real hard other times other means were used. `evil does not like resistance and it does not like flanking movements. its primary weapons are isolation and fear and power of suggestion.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
About 7 or 8 years ago, we made a deal with this guy to do some mechanical work for us. He was supposed to fix two pickups for us and, in exchange, we was going to give him another pickup. We continuously called him and/or went to his house...always giving us an empty promise. It's a very long story, but he had all three pickups.

One day, we went to his house and no one was home. My hubby got up on the hood of the car so he could see inside his yard to see if he could see our trucks. We found that one of them had the engine and tranny out (which was not part of the deal...nothing THAT major was wrong with it ) and the other truck was in HALF! The bed was lying in one place and the cab somewhere else...yes, he totally dismantled these trucks!

So...we hired a professional repo guy! We had the truck ( the one we was trading him) repossessed...it was repo'd while the guy was at work. Needless to say, the guy wasn't at all happy! The truck we had given him was a chevy crew cab dually with a 454. He had replaced the engine with a diesel. That would have been ok, but it was a really crappy diesel lol

Anyway, this guy came to our house and (like someone else mentioned above) had this empty EVIL look in his eyes. He threatened to hurt our kids AND burn down our house. That's bad enough...right? But it's not over...

At that time, we lived in a shady part of town. Our next door neighbor was a BIG TIME drug dealer as well as some other "business" ventures. Well, it really does pay to be nice to your neighbor, no matter WHO they are!!!!!

This neighbor calls my husband over to his house...which was really odd. He had just gotten out of prison and we hadn't even really met/got to know him at all. However, I was somewhat friends with his wife! During the conversation, this guy let my husband know they only reason he was telling him this stuff was because his wife told him "for once in your life, why don't you try doing the NEIGHBORLY thing and TALK TO HIM!?" My husband came back and told me something I will NEVER forget!!!

This guy (with the trucks) had put a contract out on us!!!!! Yes, a hit contract. He was trying to have us KILLED! All over a couple of pickup trucks!! It just so happened (THANK YOU GOD) that we were fortunate enough that our next door neighbor was the one that got news of the contract. Whether or not he would have actually been the one to carry it out, I don't know. But I do know there was indeed a contract. We ended up telling our neighbor the whole story of what happened. I don't know what ever happened to that guy (I do know his house burnt down, but I don't know if it is related or not), but thank God we never saw him again!

Yes, this guy was PURE EVIL! I saw it with my own eyes! A chapter of my life that I am glad is over!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
During the conversation, this guy let my husband know they only reason he was telling him this stuff was because his wife told him "for once in your life, why don't you try doing the NEIGHBORLY thing and TALK TO HIM!?" My husband came back and told me something I will NEVER forget!!!
It sure 'pays' to get to know your neighbours.
Truly trying to get to know people is the same as trying to establish a social connection.
Short of an outright betrayal, a social connection does not disappear easily.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
It sure 'pays' to get to know your neighbours.
Truly trying to get to know people is the same as trying to establish a social connection.
Short of an outright betrayal, a social connection does not disappear easily.
You're right! At the time, I knew they were into drugs, but I knew NOTHING about her husband or any of his involvements or anything. The wife was a wonderful lady, despite the drug problem. I still see her from time to time around town and we're still friendly...we don't "hang out" or anything, but....
One just should not judge a book by it's cover.

I'm not saying this to "use" people, but be friendly to everyone...you never know who that person might be!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying this to "use" people, but be friendly to everyone...you never know who that person might be!
You can only be truly friendly if you are willing to know the other person.
People who know me, can only love me.
Besides, there are no favours amongst friends, cauz that is what friends do.
Between good friends neighbourly behaviour is only natural.

To truly know someone = to truly love someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality