Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Exactly, and why I thought to build some sort of foundation on which to pursue a process that might ultimately lead to the truth for ALL. In a PEACEFUL manner...
It's already in place through the schools in the US called the Common Core. Peace is never guaranteed. But that is completely off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I have experienced this many times also, it is called Sleep Paralysis
Yes, the brain signals the body to produce certain hormones and enzymes to impede mobility.

It's an evolutionary trait. When you are sleeping, you are vulnerable and defenseless to predators and moving or thrashing about can attract predators. Those chemicals also prevent people from injuring themselves.

As is the case, some people produce too much of those chemicals and experience paralysis temporarily, while others don't produce enough (so they sleep-walk).

Old 09-16-2019, 03:26 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, the brain signals the body to produce certain hormones and enzymes to impede mobility.

It's an evolutionary trait. When you are sleeping, you are vulnerable and defenseless to predators and moving or thrashing about can attract predators. Those chemicals also prevent people from injuring themselves.

As is the case, some people produce too much of those chemicals and experience paralysis temporarily, while others don't produce enough (so they sleep-walk).
"That's what I said... a demon sat on me."

Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It's already in place through the schools in the US called the Common Core. Peace is never guaranteed. But that is completely off topic.
Common Core falls a little short of what these Ten Truths attempts to promote, but does abide and/or take the right direction rather than wrong. No, peace is never guaranteed, but there certainly is also a way to promote peace rather than fuel unnecessary conflict. This too is the direction I'd like to think these Ten Truths better promotes...

Old 09-18-2019, 01:31 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Common Core falls a little short of what these Ten Truths attempts to promote, but does abide and/or take the right direction rather than wrong. No, peace is never guaranteed, but there certainly is also a way to promote peace rather than fuel unnecessary conflict. This too is the direction I'd like to think these Ten Truths better promotes...
Common core doesn't attempt to promote one idea over another, it provides a process to come to a conclusion. For example, learning individual skills, like inferencing and summarizing in order to form an opinion based on evidence and reasoning. If it falls short, it is the instructors that are the problem.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Common core doesn't attempt to promote one idea over another, it provides a process to come to a conclusion. For example, learning individual skills, like inferencing and summarizing in order to form an opinion based on evidence and reasoning. If it falls short, it is the instructors that are the problem.
"The Common Core is a set of high-quality academic standards in mathematics and English language arts/literacy (ELA). These learning goals outline what a student should know and be able to do at the end of each grade. The standards were created to ensure that all students graduate from high school with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in college, career, and life, regardless of where they live."

About the Standards | Common Core State Standards Initiative.

Academic standards are about something a little different from these Ten Truths, but if we do stick to what I would consider out universal truths, the sort of criteria that establishes the Common Core rather than theology, then we're "on the same page" along those lines.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:39 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
TEN TRUTHS

ONE: There are essentially two realities for all human beings. One reality is as we perceive it to be, our personal reality. The second reality is all that truly exists in the universe, the same for all of us. Our universal truth.

TWO: Human beings cannot know all that exists in the universe. The universe is forever in flux, full of mystery that will forever be marveled and explored by Man as long as he survives.

THREE: The first reality for human beings manifests itself in all the great many beliefs and faiths throughout the world; from Astrology to Zoraoastianism. Many books also stem from these beliefs; the Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavad-Gita, Speaking of Faith, The Celestine Prophecy, the Book of Mormon and others. These are the books about men such as Jesus, Mohammad, Moses and Joseph Smith.

FOUR: The second reality, all that exists in the universe, known or unknown, is disclosed to Man most accurately and peacefully by way of well documented history (rather than religious books) and empirical science (rather than theology). Universal truth is all we can accept as reality, the truth, with the most certainty and least conflict. What we can all most reasonably accept as true for all concerned.

FIVE: Faith is spawned from the human inclination to speculate or suppose beyond universal truth as determined and defined by science. Such notions, religions, often involve spirituality or a belief in an energy, power or force. A belief in a deity, god or gods, the supernatural. These notions that go beyond common human awareness are typically based or recognized more by emotions and feelings rather than facts, reason and logic. They typically call for faith rather than proof, all stemming from personal experience rather than common observation or scientific verification.

SIX: Man's ability to theorize is a faculty that allows Man to advance toward greater awareness and understanding of universal truth. The theoretical guides Man to further scientific discovery. However, when conjecture about the supernatural leads to faith and religious inculcation rather facts, reason and logic, great harm can and does come to Man instead. This is because the great majority of people still today cannot accept the confines of science. Instead conjecture is continuously promoted as truth ultimately to the point of creating profound divisions between people resulting in great conflict, violence and war still raging to this day; the Crusades, Protestants v Catholics, Jews v Muslims, Shiites v Sunnis.

SEVEN: The alternative skeptical challenge and test of faith to limit spiritual conjecture is to foster a greater respect for the truth as currently defined or understood by science. Science is the most universally accepted effort to arrive at truth with no agenda other than greater knowledge and understanding of universal truth for all human beings. This path or quest of scientific discovery offers the way to peace instead of the sure madness that arises from the significant amount of conflict between differing faiths. As Man learns to universally accept both the great promise and reasonable limits of what science can teach, the source of conflict between Man is diminished, the path toward progress cleared and the prospect of peace improved.

EIGHT: Science fosters the peace of a universal patience and acceptance of our common condition and experience as humans. Faith forbids followers to question thus retarding Man's progress. Science encourages inquiry thus expanding Man's awareness and enlightenment. Faith typically deems any question about God's existence as evil in nature, not to be tolerated. Science has no such restrictions or judgement. Accordingly, there is no manner in which to reconcile these two competing approaches toward revealing Man's universal truth.

NINE: Faith can and does promote goodwill between some people. Creation of beautiful places of worship, help for those in need, community and comfort through difficult times. Even a code of conduct necessary for some to be moral. Yes of course, but with the good there is no need for the bad or falsehoods. Truth is best realized and peace most successfully promoted as more people patiently accept and embrace Man's common reality as revealed, defined and/or revised by science. The movement toward this patience and acceptance very slowly growing from one century to the next is the maturing of Man. His best chance for lasting peace and true understanding of all that exists in the universe, proven or yet to be proven.

TEN: People of faith will deny if not condemn these truths for many reasons; from fear of god to fear of no god. Fear of death to fear of Hell. Typically beginning with the significant influence of inculcation at a young impressionable age, the subsequent effects of confirmation bias over time, development of ego and bigotry all prevent objective reason and logic to prevail for Man as quickly as it should. Instead the condemnation persists even to this day much like when Galileo was even imprisoned for attempting to overcome these same obstacles centuries ago. Much like the Jesuits denounced Elvis Presley. Much like Harry Potter books are banned in Catholic schools today. The ignorance and intolerance persists. Much like the ongoing effort to overcome the ills of racism, sexism, xenophobia and homophobia that also still persist today, the effort to overcome these backward ways very slowly and painfully is the progress of Man that each generation represents better than the last.
OK ... I'm here, pick one and well go from there. Easier than trying to do all 10 at once.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
OK ... I'm here, pick one and well go from there. Easier than trying to do all 10 at once.
I've really got to sign off now, but couldn't without checking in on you here. Welcome! Thanks!

I've got an idea! Between now and when I return tomorrow, how about you start at the top and go as far and as long as you like? That'd be great, or as you may otherwise prefer. Thanks again...

Old 09-22-2019, 01:00 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
I try not to be too wordy and let the conversation take form, my paradigm will be Christian, so with that said...

My personal reality exist in two states. One in the flesh one in the spirit. Knowledge is different from knowing. Knowledge is what Dave learned from the world. Knowing is what my spirit is aware of. Both require exercise to develop. Spiritual development is present for all. Spiritual development helps with discernment of what is true. I call that wisdom.

Knowledge and Wisdom

Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM

22,181 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
...My personal reality exist in two states. One in the flesh one in the spirit. Knowledge is different from knowing. Knowledge is what Dave learned from the world. Knowing is what my spirit is aware of. Both require exercise to develop. Spiritual development is present for all. Spiritual development helps with discernment of what is true. I call that wisdom.

Knowledge and Wisdom
well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality