Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2023, 11:28 AM

427 posts, read 127,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well...

First off, no one is saying Catholic schools can't ban Harry Potter books. That's certainly not what my tenth truth says either. People can do all manner of what I touch upon in this truth. Simply because they can. I am also not suggesting anyone not enjoy the freedoms afforded to us to promote or protest whatever we think is right or wrong. Better or worse. Accordingly, I don't believe you understand my tenth truth too well. Do you? It isn't about what we can or can't do in any case.

What is it about?

Give it another shot if you are still interested and/or inclined...

I was inclined to let you respond to cb2008 and Tzap because your above reply came across as fancy footwork and I don't dance. Not when we are dealing with truths.

The manner you lumped Catholic schools banning Harry Potter with Jesuits denouncing Elvis Presley was, in my view, quite dismissive and arrogant in a careless sort of way. If you believe I am slow in the head, then lay it our for me because I gave it my best shot that first time.

So, why don't you rephrase your truth, and launch it in any number of sentences you like. I will give it another shot, and blow it out of the sky with my gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 11:38 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and that's what freedom of religion is, the freedom each person has to choose their own views, opinions, and beliefs with regards to their own chosen path of religion and spirituality.

each person also has their own individual reasons for the beliefs, views, and opinions they hold.
the list of ten is also exactly that: a list of the author's own reasons for their own beliefs, views, and opinions held.

here is where it becomes problematic:
not just sharing or stating your own beliefs views opinions
but claiming their own beliefs views opinions are "better" "more worthy" "more peace" "more reality" "more logic" "more reasonable" "more progress" "more forward" "more facts" "more truth" "more mature",

well that is on a par with a kid saying their TV show is better than the TV show their brother wants to watch and wants to argue why his opinion is better than his brothers.

the list of ten is pure proselytizing . and by its very nature, proselytizing is not objective.
and the other thread was started in response to the proselytizing nature of the list of ten.
Many people here proselytize. Some proselytize atheism. Some proselytize a religion. Some proselytize woo.

I don't think there's a need for someone to continually cross-examine LearnMe. Cross-examination is something very different than discussing.

Old 01-22-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
exactly. that's why it is not reasonable or logical for the author of the list of ten to demand and claim objectivity, when the list of ten itself is not objective.
I don't think he's demanding anything. Being firm about his beliefs is not demanding.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:05 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think he's demanding anything. Being firm about his beliefs is not demanding.
he just a few posts back chided readers to be more objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Do you prefer to be "lead by the nose?" I was thinking it might be better to solicit some ideas rather than just give my own. I am the one who laid it all out at the beginning of this thread after all. Explained more than a fair bit about what it's all about. I know you have your ideas too, and no doubt somewhat insulting, but I'm open to more interpretation if anyone care to think about the subject of this thread with less ego and more objectivity.
he also is actively soliciting input and discussion, while at the same time hollering "ego" when input and discussion occur.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
he just a few posts back chided readers to be more objective.

he also is actively soliciting input and discussion, while at the same time hollering "ego" when input and discussion occur.
I don't see chiding people to be objective to be the same as demanding acceptance.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:24 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
we are yet to be enlightened what Universal Truth is other than a link to a spurious site that defined truth. Not Universal but just truth.
LM has no idea what that is either and he is hoping we will all in our collective wisdom will help him out and tell him what it is. we all have dug deep and have come with nothing, no Universal Truth, never mind truth with small t itself is not easy to establish. UT Does not exist.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:33 PM

it is astonishing in the OP how science is painted as the savior for all the ills and woes of humanity.
no wonder the thread in response to this list of ten, is "Science as Religion"
put your faith in science "with patience and acceptance" "patiently accept and embrace as revealed by science" is an exhortation and faith statement if ever there was one. oh and not just as revealed by science, but "as revealed defined or revised by science." To state the obvious: if they have to revise it, then it wasn't truth to begin with.

i read this exhortation to faith in science as a variation of 'don't worry your pretty little head over that, let science do your thinking for you, no need to think for yourself at all.' oh and that last line especially (below) turn to science have faith in science even about the things which science has not yet proven. embrace science as authority even on the topics it is mute about. hey thanks, but no thanks.

Faith statements from the opening post invoking science as savior:

"foster a greater respect for the truth as currently defined or understood by science. Science is the most universally accepted effort to arrive at truth with no agenda other than greater knowledge and understanding of universal truth for all human beings. This path or quest of scientific discovery offers the way to peace"

"Science fosters the peace of a universal patience and acceptance of our common condition and experience as humans.

"Truth is best realized and peace most successfully promoted as more people patiently accept and embrace Man's common reality as revealed, defined and/or revised by science."

"His best chance for lasting peace and true understanding of all that exists in the universe, proven or yet to be proven."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-22-2023 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
we are yet to be enlightened what Universal Truth is other than a link to a spurious site that defined truth. Not Universal but just truth.
LM has no idea what that is either and he is hoping we will all in our collective wisdom will help him out and tell him what it is. we all have dug deep and have come with nothing, no Universal Truth, never mind truth with small t itself is not easy to establish. UT Does not exist.
And yet, what do you say about Hinduism and Brahman and divinity? That it 'just is' for everyone.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:05 PM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
it is astonishing in the OP how science is painted as the savior for all the ills and woes of humanity.
no wonder the thread in response to this list of ten, is "Science as Religion"
put your faith in science "with patience and acceptance" "patiently accept and embrace as revealed by science" is an exhortation and faith statement if ever there was one. oh and not just as revealed by science, but "as revealed defined or revised by science." To state the obvious: if they have to revise it, then it wasn't truth to begin with.

i read this exhortation to faith in science as a variation of 'don't worry your pretty little head over that, let science do your thinking for you, no need to think for yourself at all.' oh and that last line especially (below) turn to science have faith in science even about the things which science has not yet proven. embrace science as authority even on the topics it is mute about. hey thanks, but no thanks.

Faith statements from the opening post invoking science as savior:

"foster a greater respect for the truth as currently defined or understood by science. Science is the most universally accepted effort to arrive at truth with no agenda other than greater knowledge and understanding of universal truth for all human beings. This path or quest of scientific discovery offers the way to peace"

"Science fosters the peace of a universal patience and acceptance of our common condition and experience as humans.

"Truth is best realized and peace most successfully promoted as more people patiently accept and embrace Man's common reality as revealed, defined and/or revised by science."

"His best chance for lasting peace and true understanding of all that exists in the universe, proven or yet to be proven."

Cute.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And yet, what do you say about Hinduism and Brahman and divinity? That it 'just is' for everyone.
paths of religion and spirituality which do not proselytize, recognize that everyone chooses their own path without denigrating other paths. Humans are granted the dignity and regard and respect of recognizing everyone is able to choose the path which suits them, without claiming to be "the only way" or "the right way" or "the best way"

unlike the OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality