Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2023, 10:45 AM

29,694 posts, read 9,884,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Your impassioned plea got to me.

Ok, let's take a look at your Truth No. 10. It declares that people of faith are ignorant and intolerant, they are impervious to the plea of logic and reason that hold the promise of progress for Man.

Did I get you right?
I was just going to sign off now, because I've really got to sign off now. Not because I'm feeling cornered or because I don't want to give your next take the attention it deserves, but because I really need to get on with other things now...

No, I don't think you got me right, though I continue to see from what perspective you are decidedly coming from. Glad my impassioned plea got to you, but no. All I can suggest with the little time I have is that you start with a little better more objective consideration of the first sentence of the tenth truth. It goes like this:

"TEN: People of faith will deny if not condemn these truths for many reasons..."

Emphasis on MANY and none do I necessarily attribute to ignorance or intolerance, although those can be included too. Among the many. I am in no way declaring that people of faith are ignorant and intolerant in any case. Not necessarily anyway. See what you've done there? With your words, yet again not mine. Most of my family and best friends are religious people, and they are nothing of the sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 11:36 AM

427 posts, read 132,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I was just going to sign off now, because I've really got to sign off now. Not because I'm feeling cornered or because I don't want to give your next take the attention it deserves, but because I really need to get on with other things now...

No, I don't think you got me right, though I continue to see from what perspective you are decidedly coming from. Glad my impassioned plea got to you, but no. All I can suggest with the little time I have is that you start with a little better more objective consideration of the first sentence of the tenth truth. It goes like this:

"TEN: People of faith will deny if not condemn these truths for many reasons..."

Emphasis on MANY and none do I necessarily attribute to ignorance or intolerance, although those can be included too. Among the many. I am in no way declaring that people of faith are ignorant and intolerant in any case. Not necessarily anyway. See what you've done there? With your words, yet again not mine. Most of my family and best friends are religious people, and they are nothing of the sort.

I don't think we are compatible. I am impatient, and you want to dance. You indulge in foreplay while I just want to get right down to business.

The Buddha said that there is only one truth, no second. And you have ten. Are you sure you got all your ducks in a row? There could be more, millions even, hidden in the marshes of logic and reason.

People of faith are not restricted to those practicing traditional religions or new-age spirituality. They include theorists of all stripes in the sciences. And they all take that leap of faith.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:50 AM

51,492 posts, read 24,844,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The fact that you are unable to respond with any kind of honesty about your concept of what Universal Truth is, or define it in clear terms instead of throwing some irrelevant link to some definition of truth, makes your whole thesis a waste of time to pursue any more. You built something and now you want others to tell you what it means. Sad.
Personal attack

Old 01-23-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Personal attack

It was a critical comment directed at the thesis of the Ten Truths and its weak defense by the author.

You need to disassociate yourself from your posts and not practice the NATO doctrine. Any attack on your posts is not an attack on you.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I don't think we are compatible. I am impatient, and you want to dance. You indulge in foreplay while I just want to get right down to business.

The Buddha said that there is only one truth, no second. And you have ten. Are you sure you got all your ducks in a row? There could be more, millions even, hidden in the marshes of logic and reason.

People of faith are not restricted to those practicing traditional religions or new-age spirituality. They include theorists of all stripes in the sciences. And they all take that leap of faith.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

For you, me and everyone to decide what is truth and what is not as best we are able. With all due respect to Buddha, I've laid out what I think are additional observations well worth consideration and more than well justified. Sorry we're not compatible. Well, not really sorry. No real surprise there, but that's not the issue when it comes to separating the truth from what is not.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
It was a critical comment directed at the thesis of the Ten Truths and its weak defense by the author.

You need to disassociate yourself from your posts and not practice the NATO doctrine. Any attack on your posts is not an attack on you.
Or...

No one need attack or insult or misrepresent these ten truths, or the comments posted about them, positive or negative. The better more mature and intelligent way to discuss this topic or any other is to leave the petty childishness at the door. Ego too, and stick to the facts, truths, fair reason and logic that either well supports these observations as worthy, or provide whatever justifications there may be not to think so.

Emphasis on justifications. Worthy justifications, or not. I've tried to address all of them either way since way back when I first started this thread.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Or...

No one need attack or insult or misrepresent these ten truths, or the comments posted about them, positive or negative. The better more mature and intelligent way to discuss this topic or any other is to leave the petty childishness at the door. Ego too, and stick to the facts, truths, fair reason and logic that either well supports these observations as worthy, or provide whatever justifications there may be not to think so.

Emphasis on justifications. Worthy justifications, or not. I've tried to address all of them either way since way back when I first started this thread.

No one here is messing with your truths. Speaking for myself, I would be thrilled if your truths could help me on my way in life. If not, then our exchange would still be beneficial to me to know that I have check things out and it's time to move on. I certainly don't want to break anything in your shop of truths. If you showed me a tray of ten flawless diamonds and I tell you to show me how they could be diamonds and not glass, you do that. You do not belittle the customer as an ignoramus with no knowledge of precious stones.

How do you like me parable?

Old 01-24-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
No one here is messing with your truths. Speaking for myself, I would be thrilled if your truths could help me on my way in life. If not, then our exchange would still be beneficial to me to know that I have check things out and it's time to move on. I certainly don't want to break anything in your shop of truths. If you showed me a tray of ten flawless diamonds and I tell you to show me how they could be diamonds and not glass, you do that. You do not belittle the customer as an ignoramus with no knowledge of precious stones.

Unfortunately, your rhetoric has a way of being a little off-putting and insulting, but no matter. I'm used to all manner of comment regarding my "shop of truths." Better, I think, to just address them as written. No more and no less.

That said, I think it might also be helpful to understand that my Ten Truths are not necessarily about helping people with their way of life. A point I've often made about the truth is that the truth is the truth regardless whether it suits us or not. Helps us or not.

Still, my experience as an Executive Coach has allowed me to well appreciate people's needs and wants to find what might prove beneficial to them as they navigate their life challenges. In that setting, I never once introduced or shared my Ten Truths.

If that's more your interest, want or need, I highly recommend you start another thread that might better solicit that sort of sharing, and I'll be glad to be a part. That's not what this thread or my Ten Truths are all about however.

Just saying...

Old 01-24-2023, 12:40 PM

16,315 posts, read 7,240,569 times
Quote:

Love it.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:51 PM

64,150 posts, read 40,503,728 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, your rhetoric has a way of being a little off-putting and insulting, but no matter. I'm used to all manner of comment regarding my "shop of truths." Better, I think, to just address them as written. No more and no less.

That said, I think it might also be helpful to understand that my Ten Truths are not necessarily about helping people with their way of life. A point I've often made about the truth is that the truth is the truth regardless whether it suits us or not. Helps us or not.

Still, my experience as an Executive Coach has allowed me to well appreciate people's needs and wants to find what might prove beneficial to them as they navigate their life challenges. In that setting, I never once introduced or shared my Ten Truths.

If that's more your interest, want or need, I highly recommend you start another thread that might better solicit that sort of sharing, and I'll be glad to be a part. That's not what this thread or my Ten Truths are all about however.

Just saying...
The bold is rather convenient for the one asserting the truth as you are. It is often referred to as the "catbird seat"! That is why I preferred to refer to them as your Ten Assertions rather than the arrogant and hubristic "Truths." You have not afforded us the level of universality and unchangeable certainty that would justify asking us to prove you wrong. That unjustifiably assumes it is the Truth unit proven otherwise, also again known as the "catbird seat." Ironically, or perhaps not, you have the same "assumptive arrogance" with the existence of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality