Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 10:09 AM

29,680 posts, read 9,877,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Because you asked the OP to read them and comment. He had extensive comments. Most writers value criticism and comment from someone who devotes time and effort to read the text with care and comment as he did. It is very difficult to get such a reading because most people do not want to engage with the text that way and do not know how to critique, and may not have the time. So getting one, no matter in what form, is valuable for a serious writer. He chose to do it his way.
It is clear you did not want a critique. What you wanted was unconditional approbation. In that case you should not ask for people’s comments. If you post on the forum you will get opinions, and here is the thing - the truth!
Apparently you don’t like truth other than your 10.
OP means opening post. Does it not? I continue to be a little confused...

What you want to insist, and continue insisting, is that I don't want critique or that I want "unconditional approbation." You just don't quit no matter how off base you go. I mean in the name of being reasonable, I have encouraged comments and I have addressed just about all of them. INCLUDING the ones about my Ten Truths that were posted outside of this thread for whatever those reasons.

INCLUDING THEM. ALL OF THEM. IN THAT THREAD TOO.

Remember how long after you made similar accusations before you realized I had addressed those comments as well? Rather than shy away from them as you were also wrongly suggesting back then too. Apparently none of that embarrassed yourself enough to stop with this nonsense either.

I am always championing the truth! Whether it be about my Ten Truths or whatever else.

I've really got to stop entertaining your nonsense, because if you continue to flat-out lie about me, my intentions, my comments and all these efforts on my part, then I'm at a complete loss as to how to deal with you. Best I not continue to try, because by doing so, I am giving you more credit than you deserve from the standpoint of what is worthy of consideration and what is not.

I'll leave it at that to keep it civil here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You must be reading his post in a different language.
Thank you, because I am truly at a complete loss how to explain most of what CB loves to go on about...

Different language or what explanation can there be? I'd venture a few other choice possibilities, but again to keep it civil here, I'll just be thankful there are others who can at least read and comprehend the basics a little better than average. It really doesn't take much more than that.

Unless...?

Old 02-21-2023, 10:22 AM

16,302 posts, read 7,227,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

What you want to insist, and continue insisting, is that I don't want critique or that I want "unconditional approbation." You just don't quit no matter how off base you go. I mean in the name of being reasonable, I have encouraged comments and I have addressed just about all of them. INCLUDING the ones about my Ten Truths that were posted outside of this thread for whatever those reasons.

Remember how long after you made similar accusations before you realized I had addressed those comments as well? Rather than shy away from them as you were also wrongly suggesting back then too. Apparently none of that embarrassed yourself enough to stop with this nonsense either.

I am always championing the truth! Whether it be about my Ten Truths or whatever else.

I've really got to stop entertaining your nonsense, because if you continue to flat-out lie about me, my intentions, my comments and all these efforts on my part, then I'm at a complete loss as to how to deal with you. Best I not continue to try, because by doing so, I am giving you more credit than you deserve from the standpoint of what is worthy of consideration and what is not.

You read the comments, and many have asserted there is no universal truth for all of us. The comments do not seem to make any impression and you continue to market it in every thread asking people to read it. They have the same reaction, yet you do not seem to get it.
I am sure you have some lofty opinion about yourself and about the worth of your interaction. That is fine, if you dont credit yourself who will?
You always have the ignore function and just like that i will be invisible. But you knew that.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Have to agree with this. "Truth" and "truths" are too vague and squishy of terms to use beyond oneself. Someone can certainly have his/her own personal "truths", but it realistically can't go any farther than that.

This isn't any different than expecting everyone to have the same food and underwear preferences(!) - for starters - which isn't going to happen.

This would be ideally suited for one's blog. Throwing out here is an invitation for darts and mockery.
I don't blame anyone for not going through all the comments posted in this thread. Instead, I appreciate any set of new eyes and the posting of new comments having to do with what I titled my Ten Truths here, so I will explain this yet again...

As previously explained in this thread many times and in other threads when this comes up. I originally called them my Nine Truths when I first wrote them up back in college. Where I had taken a class about the world's religions. I later added the tenth and changed the title to Ten Truths after I posted the original nine in this forum. After I got some "input" about my Nine Truths.

Then many times after I have emphasized or requested less importance be put on the title and more thought be directed toward what I explain by way of these observations. Fine if we want to call them "my truths" or observations or points of view or whatever! The title is not what I believe to be most important, and I can't change the title of this thread anyway. Not even if I were so inclined.

Also true, "truths" can often be too vague and squish a term. That's exactly why I went to the trouble of elaborating and justifying those truths in the best way I was able at the time. Agree with them or not, and by all means explain why, but hopefully anyone interested in the truth of these matters won't get hung up on the title rather than read through them as originally intended. Otherwise, thanks for you input, but I'd be fine if there was no title to this thread given the purpose I started this thread in this forum in the first place.

Is this not okay either?

Old 02-21-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
You read the comments, and many have asserted there is no universal truth for all of us. The comments do not seem to make any impression and you continue to market it in every thread asking people to read it. They have the same reaction, yet you do not seem to get it.
I am sure you have some lofty opinion about yourself and about the worth of your interaction. That is fine, if you dont credit yourself who will?
You always have the ignore function and just like that i will be invisible. But you knew that.
Some have one kind of reaction. Others a different reaction. The thread is quite long now. Longer than I imagined it to ever be. (Not including the other highjack thread with the hybrid title). The reaction has been quite varied, and continues to be. Certainly can be...

I don't "market it" as you also always want to denigrate my perspective and opinion so different from yours. Are our differences so intolerable for you that you need to resort to all this sort of garbage? I can't remember too well going back so far in time, but I wonder if you were not one of the people who inspired me to add the tenth truth. You are certainly the kind of person I had in mind when I wrote the tenth one in any case. That's for sure!

Why do you keep coming back for more if it all bothers you so much? Very hard to understand this too...

Ah, but why can't I stop entertaining this crap of yours? Perhaps because it's so very unreasonable and hard to believe. I'm really not sure, but it's impressive in the worst of ways. Yes, I am quite confident there are universal truths that apply to all of us. True for all of us. We disagree. Okay. We disagree. Again duly noted.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:36 AM

16,302 posts, read 7,227,565 times
Quote:
Some have one kind of reaction. Others a different reaction. The thread is quite long now. Longer than I imagined it to ever be. (Not including the other highjack thread with the hybrid title). The reaction has been quite varied, and continues to be. Certainly can be...

I don't "market it" as you also always want to denigrate my perspective and opinion so different from yours. Are our differences so intolerable for you that you need to resort to all this sort of garbage? I can't remember too well going back so far in time, but I wonder if you were not one of the people who inspired me to add the tenth truth. You are certainly the kind of person I had in mind when I wrote the tenth one in any case. That's for sure!

Why do you keep coming back for more if it all bothers you so much? Very hard to understand this too...

Ah, but why can't I stop entertaining this crap of yours? Perhaps because it's so very unreasonable and hard to believe. I'm really not sure, but it's impressive in the worst of ways. Yes, I am quite confident there are universal truths that apply to all of us. True for all of us. We disagree. Okay. We disagree. Again duly noted.
Stop using the word crap.it is offensive.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:12 AM

51,462 posts, read 24,822,929 times
Quote:
Thank you, because I am truly at a complete loss how to explain most of what CB loves to go on about...

Different language or what explanation can there be? I'd venture a few other choice possibilities, but again to keep it civil here, I'll just be thankful there are others who can at least read and comprehend the basics a little better than average. It really doesn't take much more than that.

Unless...?
Some conversations here devolve into "versus".

Old 02-21-2023, 11:13 AM

51,462 posts, read 24,822,929 times
Quote:
Let me ask a question. When "we" read your posts and critique, do you simply change your mind?

And yet, that seems to be what you're expecting LearnMe to do.

Old 02-21-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Stop using the word crap.it is offensive.
Stop dishing it out! And I'll have no need to keep calling it what it is...

Perhaps starting tomorrow, since I've got to be moving along now.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:28 PM

22,866 posts, read 19,489,010 times
Quote:

the truth is that the list is "ten opinions" or "ten beliefs" or "ten reasons you hold the beliefs you do."
but no, they are not "truth" for others necessarily, and they most certainly are not "universal truth for all of us." that is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality