Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 07:42 PM

50,924 posts, read 24,432,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the truth is that the list is "ten opinions" or "ten beliefs" or "ten reasons you hold the beliefs you do."
but no, they are not "truth" for others necessarily, and they most certainly are not "universal truth for all of us." that is a fact.
then why are you so offended when others of us don't believe in your woo?

how is that different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 07:45 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,753,918 times
Quote:
the truth is that the list is "ten opinions" or "ten beliefs" or "ten reasons you hold the beliefs you do."
but no, they are not "truth" for others necessarily, and they most certainly are not "universal truth for all of us." that is a fact.
Just for the record...

1) As many times as I've reiterated how I could really care less what anyone calls them, it's astounding to me that you continue to belabor this issue like you do. You and a choice few others. Rather than address what is true or not as I lay out these whatchamacallits from one to ten.

2) I've never suggested these ten whatchamacallits are universal truths. Only that universal truths exist. For all of us. The reality I refer to in my first whatchamacallit.

3) There is, however, a good deal of truth described by way of these ten whatchamacallits that I believe is worth considering. Opinion, belief, reasons and truth. For all or anyone to consider, critique, describe and/or agree with as they may wish.

This too is a fact. Another fact or truth.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:06 AM

50,924 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Just for the record...

1) As many times as I've reiterated how I could really care less what anyone calls them, it's astounding to me that you continue to belabor this issue like you do. You and a choice few others. Rather than address what is true or not as I lay out these whatchamacallits from one to ten.

2) I've never suggested these ten whatchamacallits are universal truths. Only that universal truths exist. For all of us. The reality I refer to in my first whatchamacallit.

3) There is, however, a good deal of truth described by way of these ten whatchamacallits that I believe is worth considering. Opinion, belief, reasons and truth. For all or anyone to consider, critique, describe and/or agree with as they may wish.

This too is a fact. Another fact or truth.
It's just a different form of cross-examination

Old 02-22-2023, 12:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,562,766 times
Quote:
Is this not okay either?
It's ALL okay, I was just making the point that what you see as truth may not be others' truth. Frankly, in this day where everyone seems intent upon creating their own reality, yours is just one in nearly 8 billion voices. It's hard to place significance on one voice when so many are clamoring.

Still, you be you. You and your spirit guide are all you have, really.

Old 02-23-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's ALL okay, I was just making the point that what you see as truth may not be others' truth. Frankly, in this day where everyone seems intent upon creating their own reality, yours is just one in nearly 8 billion voices. It's hard to place significance on one voice when so many are clamoring.

Still, you be you. You and your spirit guide are all you have, really.
Hey, listen, please...

I am in no way thinking what I claim to be true will be the truth as far as everyone else is concerned. Anyone who spends even just a short time in this forum will quickly know better about that rather obvious truth. About expectation with regard to general agreement that is. The day everyone agrees with me will be the day pigs come flying out of my rear end. Not likely to happen while I'm still alive and even less likely after I'm dead.

I do, however, strongly believe there are universal truths for all of us. Most if not all the sorts of truths no one in their right mind disputes. In part as I try to explain by way of my OP of this thread. Especially in a day when "everyone seems intent upon creating their own reality," I for one feel it's important we do what we can to distill the reality from all the rest of the noise coming from all those nearly 8 billion voices.

In any case, thinking, intelligent, discerning adults should not default to the lowest denominator just because there is confusion, disagreement and argument about what is true and what is not. What is the truth of these matters and what is not.

My opinion anyway. Me being me exactly as my spirit guides me. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2023, 02:33 PM

22,308 posts, read 19,277,553 times
Quote:
Hey, listen, please...

I am in no way thinking what I claim to be true will be the truth as far as everyone else is concerned. Anyone who spends even just a short time in this forum will quickly know better about that rather obvious truth. About expectation with regard to general agreement that is. The day everyone agrees with me will be the day pigs come flying out of my rear end. Not likely to happen while I'm still alive and even less likely after I'm dead.

I do, however, strongly believe there are universal truths for all of us. Most if not all the sorts of truths no one in their right mind disputes. In part as I try to explain by way of my OP of this thread. Especially in a day when "everyone seems intent upon creating their own reality," I for one feel it's important we do what we can to distill the reality from all the rest of the noise coming from all those nearly 8 billion voices.

In any case, thinking, intelligent, discerning adults should not default to the lowest denominator just because there is confusion, disagreement and argument about what is true and what is not. What is the truth of these matters and what is not.

My opinion anyway. Me being me exactly as my spirit guides me. Thanks!
regarding bold above yes that is your belief and opinion.
others do not hold that belief.
others hold the belief that there is no such thing as "universal truths for all of us."

Old 02-25-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
regarding bold above yes that is your belief and opinion.
others do not hold that belief.
others hold the belief that there is no such thing as "universal truths for all of us."
Also true. I'm not sure who needs explanation of this obvious truth, but it isn't me.

Old 03-09-2023, 08:29 AM

About truths, objective truths, science and how science distinguishes itself with regard to establishing truths, I listened to this interview with Neil Degrasse Tyson and not only is he spot on about so much worth considering, I was pleased to hear him validate my very first truth! Just before the 5 minute mark...

https://www.aljazeera.com/program/up...and-propaganda

Old 03-09-2023, 09:13 AM

16,023 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Also true. I'm not sure who needs explanation of this obvious truth, but it isn't me.
I think it is you. You are only one I have seen who has ever mentioned "universal truths for all of US" never explaining who the US is that shares this with you, and what are universal turth.
I know your response always is that you have explained it. Nope. Never. If so and I have missed it please quote the post where you explicitly, unconditionally, without equivocation, explain what is Universal Truth and who is US. And I will apologize. The sun rises in the east is not truth. It is a fact. Facts are not truth.

Unless you mean
Quote:
is truth. In which case you are contradicting yourself.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:23 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I think it is you. You are only one I have seen who has ever mentioned "universal truths for all of US" never explaining who the US is that shares this with you, and what are universal turth.
I know your response always is that you have explained it. Nope. Never. If so and I have missed it please quote the post where you explicitly, unconditionally, without equivocation, explain what is Universal Truth and who is US.
You can not think of a universal truth that is true for every one? Death, tax, and a triangle also has three sides?

Quote:
The sun rises in the east is not truth. It is a fact.
Literally rises, or appears to rise?

Quote:
Facts are not truth.

Unless you mean

is truth. In which case you are contradicting yourself.
If objective truths are facts, then yes, some facts will be the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality