Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,498,587 times

Advertisements

The odd thing is that it's been done already. We have had Christians saying that Islam doesn't have a Son of God who was killed and came back to life and the Muslims that that is exactly why their religion is better.

On the other hand I can see what IWMN is thinking - the account in the gospels shows that the claim is actually true, no matter how much the Quran denies it.

but what the transponder says is that this claim (like the nativities) can be shown to be unbelievable, fabricated and a pack of lies. In time this argument will become standard atheist apologetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 11:39 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,330,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I do think there are reasons to believe there is a God, and I also think that Christianity is more credible than the other religions you mentioned. I presented some reasoning why I believe God exists in the “Comparing...” thread. If you want to pick a religion, I will present a case for why I think Christianity is more credible than other religions.
if Christianity is credible, then kindly answer the omnipotent God who fails paradox.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:47 AM

2,962 posts, read 853,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The odd thing is that it's been done already. We have had Christians saying that Islam doesn't have a Son of God who was killed and came back to life and the Muslims that that is exactly why their religion is better.

On the other hand I can see what IWMN is thinking - the account in the gospels shows that the claim is actually true, no matter how much the Quran denies it.

but what the transponder says is that this claim (like the nativities) can be shown to be unbelievable, fabricated and a pack of lies. In time this argument will become standard atheist apologetics.
How much do you know about the Quran? It tells Muslims, when in doubt about something, refer to the Tanakh (OT). The Quran also affirms that Jesus was sinless, unlike Mohamed.

Have you ever visited Speaker’s Corner in High Park? They have this kind of debate everyday.

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 10-07-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-07-2019, 12:10 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,498,587 times
It does also deny that he was son of god or died and came to life again. They relegate Jesus to being a prophet. They don't deny his existence, just the Christian claims about him. They at least recognise that it's all the same god and the same religion. Christians seem to deny this. Of course, they have to or the question of a revelation beyond Christianity would crop up.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-07-2019 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-07-2019, 12:12 PM

50,233 posts, read 23,853,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
I think many people who grow up with a specific religion are prone to seeing it as most credible, but I came to Christianity in my 50’s and I was looking for the truth wherever it could be found. I wasn’t looking for a specific religion. I was looking for the clearest view of reality I can have. My beliefs about Christianity are the result of that goal. I was/am not interested in believing something simply because of personal preference. If you could show me a more credible truth, I would happily adopt it if it was a clearer view of reality.

You still are avoiding my offer to demonstrate why I believe Christianity is the most credible of all religions. You don’t have to make guesses as to my reasoning. Pick a religion you think is at least as credible as Christianity and I’ll give you explicit reasons. The fact that you haven’t taken me up on this leads me to think you believe “one religion is as good as another.” I don’t see it that way.
First of all, no you wouldn't. After all, you've been "made new". Secondly, your criticized me for going through three religions (although it's really only two).

Second, I don't care why you think your religion is best. I've already been down path, and trust me, if anyone could convince me, it wouldn't be you. Because you're a bully. You force your prayers on others even when they have told you they are not wanted. You try to force your beliefs on others, which you're doing right here. In many posts, such as this one, you try to manipulate the conversation.

Third, no I don't believe all religions are as good as another. But I do believe that each person's path is his or her chosen path, and a person shouldn't be shoved down another path by people like you.

You would have a very difficult time finding any posts by me telling someone else they should be Buddhist. We Buddhists are typically very much against proselytizing. If someone asked me a question about Buddhism, I'd try to answer it, or if I couldn't, I'd refer them to a monk or a writing. If someone approaches and asks me if I'd take them to a Buddhist temple, I sometimes will do so, but only at their initiation and request. Most people know about the world's major religions, and I trust people who are seeking to find their own path. Do you really think that after being in the christian world for over 50 years that I don't have a reasonable understanding of what christianity is about? I hate to think of all the Sunday school sessions and christian church services I sat through. There were some good lessons in there, but the good lessons were almost stumbled on, rather than -- like here -- christians trying to prove what is un-provable. How many posts have you made here in a few weeks? Do you really think I don't already know why you think "Christianity is the most credible of all religions"? I've read most of your posts. I rarely find them enlightening; I have no appetite for more of your proselytizing. I know you have a huge ego, but trust me, you have yet to bring anything new to our table.

If you are happy with your religion, that's fine. I was not happy with your religion, and that's why I am no longer a part of it. My whole goal of being here is not to discover a new religion. I'm happy where I am. My goal here, as stated several times already, is to say to christians -- stop trying to push your religion on others and on our society. Practice your personal religion in appropriate places, but stop with the christian privilege routine.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:28 PM

3,181 posts, read 1,569,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
if Christianity is credible, then kindly answer the omnipotent God who fails paradox.
What is the omnipotent God who fails paradox?

Old 10-07-2019, 12:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,330,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
What is the omnipotent God who fails paradox?
Rev.19
[6] And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

Genesis 6:
[5] And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
[6] And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
[7] And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:13 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,779,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It is exactly true about you and about most people. Do you really think Muslims go around thinking their religion isn't the best religion? Do you think Hindus don't believe their religion is best. Same for Buddhists.

All of us think our religion is best. Otherwise, it wouldn't be "our religion".
I don't think my religion is best (or the exclusive way to truth). On a mystical level, God is beyond words and concepts. But then on a practical level, people still need to make sense of it, commune and grow with others--and that is where the religion comes in.

I hope that people of all religions move beyond the "my religion is best" mentality, and onto a "my religion is best for me" mentality.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:17 PM

50,233 posts, read 23,853,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I don't think my religion is best (or the exclusive way to truth). On a mystical level, God is beyond words and concepts. But then on a practical level, people still need to make sense of it, commune and grow with others--and that is where the religion comes in.

I hope that people of all religions move beyond the "my religion is best" mentality, and onto a "my religion is best for me" mentality.
Good for you.

But I don't think that's how most religionists think.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 389,087 times
If you clear your mind & open it to Jesus then He will start talking telepathically to you & then He will start manifesting in your home & will dwell with you. The Father & The Holy Ghost will also speak & manifest to you. There will also be Satan appearing to try & turn you away from God. So be wary always. Ignore all atheists for they just don't know any better as yet.

Today God appeared & showed me the infinitely wicked demons from Hell. And the extremely narrow & precarious, arched wallless, foot bridge, which spans the dark bottomless chasm between this world & Paradise.

You all can very easily slip from the path of goodness into wickedness & evil at any moment so you have to always guard your hearts & minds by worshipping Christ & His way as The Only Way Forwards.

Quote:
John 14:21-26 King James Version (KJV)
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality