Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion, if any, do you follow?
Christianity 20 37.04%
Judaism 3 5.56%
Islam 1 1.85%
Hinduism 0 0%
Chinese Traditional 0 0%
Buddhism 1 1.85%
No Religion 29 53.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So how are people supposed to figure it out between your god of love and other's god of fire and brimstone? You guys gotta iron this out before you preach to others.
Well, as for what I share here, people can take the experiment themselves... like I did. I read the Prayer for Divine Love every night for a month, then pow! I felt it.

As far as changing a fundamentalist Christian’s belief, it ain’t gonna happen and when it has changed, it’s a rarity. I wasn’t interested in it because of the last church that I went to with my grandmother, which was the Seventh Day Adventist church when I was 17. smack: I couldn’t take the doom and gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Well, as for what I share here, people can take the experiment themselves... like I did. I read the Prayer for Divine Love every night for a month, then pow! I felt it.

As far as changing a fundamentalist Christian’s belief, it ain’t gonna happen and when it has changed, it’s a rarity. I wasn’t interested in it because of the last church that I went to with my grandmother, which was the Seventh Day Adventist church when I was 17. smack: I couldn’t take the doom and gloom.
Oh wow. You felt it. Well, that pretty much proves it!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:46 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Suffering is the result of separation from God, and man chooses that to his own peril and the suffering of others & his descendants.
Was never supposed to be this way, but man has free will - was not made as a robot or slave.

He always invites us back and provided a way - and those that answer this invitation and continually persevere will know Him both in this life and the next eternally.
Knowing Him and living His Will makes self-suffering redemptive & unifying AND empowers one to lovingly reduce the suffering of others and your descendants.

Last edited by CCCyou; 09-16-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 10:36 AM

1,378 posts, read 392,757 times
People switch on a tape recorder in an empty room & it records spiritual people speaking. They ask the spiritual beings questions & the spiritual beings answer intelligently. People have been doing that since audio recording devices were invented. There is one recording made inside a church & the voices of angels can quite clearly be heard singing to God. So it's all unquestionable scientific proof that there is a spiritual side of life & there is intelligent life, & even God, there.

So questioning whether there is a spiritual side of life is like flat earthers denying that the earth is round that's all. There is no question that the spiritual side of life exists.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:52 AM

151 posts, read 88,157 times
I am also a religious Jew. I wont get nto my story here because this is a debate board, and my belifs are not up for debate (unless it's with another Jew, then it's learning!). I don't care what you believe, unless your beliefs somehow hurt me. So, basically, what JB said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I'm a religious Jew, although I didn't start out that way. I was raised Christian (Baptist, to be specific), and converted to Judaism as an adult after several years of searching and studying other religions. As for why I believe in God, it's because I do; I've tried to not believe, but never had any success in that.

While I might disagree with some things you've said, I'm not going to challenge you. Ultimately, you're free to believe what you wish, and it really has no impact on me. Judaism doesn't hold that it's the only "true" religion, or that everyone has to belong to it. It's the right religion for Jews, and other groups have their own ways to understand and connect with God.

I will say that I find it odd to see you view science and religion as being in some kind of competition or at odds with each other. I've always thought that both influence us and help us to form the worldview we use to navigate life.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
I was expecting this remark. And it may be justified. However, in many brake down of world religions I found Buddhism included as a religion. Let's call it a religion for the purpose of this poll, even if it can be more accurately described as a philosophy or belief system.

Let's not.
It creates wrong direction to follow.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
I am also a religious Jew. I wont get nto my story here because this is a debate board, and my belifs are not up for debate (unless it's with another Jew, then it's learning!). I don't care what you believe, unless your beliefs somehow hurt me. So, basically, what JB said.

And, as usual, you just set Jews aside from everyone else. There's us, chosen ones and there are you, ones that are not worthy of considering their opinions.

Thank you. I'll stick with power that is higher than everything and everyone else.
The Light of Intelligence.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
The Abrahamic faiths are philosophies. Each of the three major Abrahamic faiths have variations within their philosophies, beliefs, practices, rules, etc. I follow Christianity and I participate and attend an Evangelical Christian Church.

You can follow or self identify with Christianity without being a Christian. Lots of Americans fall into this category. Secular Jews experience the same thing in the United States and the reality is for many, it's more about the rejection of religion, rather than the rejection one's faith or belief in God.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:42 PM

326 posts, read 672,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
And you're free to have that opinion; as I said in my first post, I'm not here to challenge your beliefs or convince you of anything.
Thanks. i do appreciate that. And I'm not trying to challenge your beliefs either. Just trying to understand why people believe what they believe and expressing my views along the way.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Buddhism should not be practiced as a religion, but as a philosophy. Plus, most Buddhists are atheists.
I find that very hard to believe. I guess the ones that are atheist are cultural Buddhists, but not the practicing ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality