Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion, if any, do you follow?
Christianity 20 37.04%
Judaism 3 5.56%
Islam 1 1.85%
Hinduism 0 0%
Chinese Traditional 0 0%
Buddhism 1 1.85%
No Religion 29 53.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:18 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
For people of faith atheism suggests a person who has rejected their spiritual side and sees man as god.
Then the person of faith has the problem of not understanding.

Quote:
Hardheadedness seems to be a common trait of atheism along with intellectual pride.
Hardheadedness means we will not accept bad arguments.

As for intellectual pride, our intellect has achieved so much. We should all be proud of our intellect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 PM

326 posts, read 672,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You make a lot of assumptions and state them like facts.
Can you point me to where I made assumptions and stated them as facts?

Quote:
What occurs in the world, the inhumanity, the cruelty, all the suffering is caused by us, by our aown actions. The relief to suffering also need to come from us, from out actions.
I agree that a lot of bad things that happen to people, including innocent good people, including children are caused by us. But others are clearly not. Here is where I fail to understand how one can believe in a god. If I had a child that was killed by say a freak accident or disease I would find it even more difficult to believe than I already do. Of course somebody that believes so firmly that they think they "know" might well find comfort in the thought (knowledge) that a God exists. I don't know.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:07 PM

326 posts, read 672,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I believe in God because partially because there is suffering. With nothingness, no "goalposts" if you will, then why should we even call it suffering?
I believe in good because I know there is evil. There cannot be one without the other.
If we're just clumps of cells that randomly evolved, then how could we possibly know what is right or wrong? Where does our consciousness come from? Why or how would that even come about? What difference could anything possibly make, what are we doing, why do we care? Science doesn't sufficiently explain any of that to me.
Science is cool. Science does explain a lot of basic physical stuff. I love science.
Science, however, is not all that reliable. Our scientific findings are constantly being upended by new discoveries.
Science has dark side. Nuclear weapons. Fossil fuels. Gun powder. Deadly chemicals and drugs. People thought they were doing something good when these were being discovered and developed.
Science should never be a worldview. Science should never be worshiped or treated like an alternative to things it doesn't even pretend to explain or understand.

I follow the Christian faith because I was born into it. I'll own up to that. I'm fine with it.
I realize most believers of any sort were born into that which they prescribe to. I've studied world religions and find them fascinating. I understand the similarities that many of them share. I don't pretend to have all the answers. Like science, I think there is a lot that we don't know about the origin of our religions and how they all came about. I do think there is good in having faith, seeking religion, a "reconnection" to the divine.
Thanks you for your contribution. However, I think you are oversimplifying matters.

Science does not just explain basic physical stuff. It goes much beyond that, of course. Amongst many other very complex areas, it can also help explain consciousness. See for example this article on the Biology of Consciousness https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3111444/

Of course science is never final. It is constantly evolving. Science is also neither good or bad. It's fact-based. What we use it for is up to us. Of course it's not something that should be, or even could be, worshipped.

Stefan

Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Then the person of faith has the problem of not understanding.

Hardheadedness means we will not accept bad arguments.

As for intellectual pride, our intellect has achieved so much. We should all be proud of our intellect.
You asked, I answered and you rejected it.

Since faith, presumption or a lack of belief in the divine... is a feeling... there can be no "wrong" feeling. It's how people seek to understand and then to be understood. Belief or lack of belief is linear.

Atheism__________________________most people in world_________________________Fanatic

Notice the ends of the spectrum. Both wrong both hard headed. Stubborness is good and suggests someone is open to listening and yet sure of what they know.

Then again.... one relies on their IQ, human affirmation and the other wants to fulfill a spiritual emptiness

Intellect_________________________________ knowledge ____________________________Wisdom

So then we arrive at two different places that are easily confused.

Presumption__________________________seeker _____________________________Faith

A believer seeks knowledge, converts it to wisdom and therefore increases in their faith.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
A believer seeks knowledge, converts it to wisdom and therefore increases in their faith.
A believer pretends to seek knowledge, but relies almost totally on the same old book his/her own life. He then converts the "knowledge" that he finds in that one book to fit his preconceived ideas. And therefore never learns anything new.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:52 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post

I agree that a lot of bad things that happen to people, including innocent good people, including children are caused by us. But others are clearly not. Here is where I fail to understand how one can believe in a god. If I had a child that was killed by say a freak accident or disease I would find it even more difficult to believe than I already do. Of course somebody that believes so firmly that they think they "know" might well find comfort in the thought (knowledge) that a God exists. I don't know.

You have a very simplistic idea of god or divinity and perhaps it is because your reference is to Christianity or the misunderstanding of it. Other religions do not have this problem. The world is what it is but it is not all that is. Anything that is born dies. Nothing is immortal except the force that holds everything together which some of us call God. You may call it something else. Death is not a punishment, it is the nature of body, it decays and dies. It can get diseases and accidents. God is not going to save you alone or your child alone or someone who is "innocent" when the way nature works is they way it works. There are no miracles.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You have a very simplistic idea of god or divinity and perhaps it is because your reference is to Christianity or the misunderstanding of it. Other religions do not have this problem. The world is what it is but it is not all that is. Anything that is born dies. Nothing is immortal except the force that holds everything together which some of us call God. You may call it something else. Death is not a punishment, it is the nature of body, it decays and dies. It can get diseases and accidents. God is not going to save you alone or your child alone or someone who is "innocent" when the way nature works is they way it works. There are no miracles.
Did god not create the nature of the body?
At least we agree...there are and never were any miracles.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Did god not create the nature of the body?
At least we agree...there are and never were any miracles.

Anything that is other than god/divinity is impermanent, subject to decay and death. Can you think of anything that is not?
That is why god is god. The world is just is, not created. some may say it is an illusion and that if you realize your true nature you will become one with god and there will be no more world, no more birth or death, no more you apart from god.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Anything that is other than god/divinity is impermanent, subject to decay and death. Can you think of anything that is not?
That is why god is god. The world is just is, not created. some may say it is an illusion and that if you realize your true nature you will become one with god and there will be no more world, no more birth or death, no more you apart from god.
I think you're experiencing the vapors.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:25 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Weird poll. I could say I respect several of the "belief systems" in the list - in a spiritual and philosophical sense - but none in a religious sense. And in Buddhism, I see no "religion" in it, even if I wanted that.

I'll just skip selecting, for the above reasons, and also because only one selection can be made.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-17-2019 at 04:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality