Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 01:46 PM

995 posts, read 510,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Regardless of translation, that comes when God is booting Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden.

He's saying that this is one of the bad things that's going to happen now that they've brought evil into the world, along with childbirth pain and toiling to grow food, not that it's a GOOD IDEA!!!!

No, MEN established men as the head of the family. C'mon.
This really, really bothered me as a child. From one side, I'd hear about how loving God is supposed to be, and then they taught about Adam and Eve and them being cast out of the garden. From that point onward, I saw God as someone mean, vindictive and extremely unforgiving. I could never, ever have a relationship with someone like that, real or imagined. And please don't get me started on the Hell doctrine...sigh.

If we're gonna have religion in the future, I say let's invent a new religion. One that makes a bit of sense and promotes the idea of forgiveness and love - and equal treatment for everyone. Heck, I might even participate in it. Well, maybe in a future life...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
This really, really bothered me as a child. From one side, I'd hear about how loving God is supposed to be, and then they taught about Adam and Eve and them being cast out of the garden. From that point onward, I saw God as someone mean, vindictive and extremely unforgiving. I could never, ever have a relationship with someone like that, real or imagined. And please don't get me started on the Hell doctrine...sigh.

If we're gonna have religion in the future, I say let's invent a new religion. One that makes a bit of sense and promotes the idea of forgiveness and love - and equal treatment for everyone. Heck, I might even participate in it. Well, maybe in a future life...lol.
and Jesus said... 'love thy neighbor as thyself". So there you have it... in a nutshell, and no religion required.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:26 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Worth the click:

https://www.scarboromissions.ca/Gold...ts.php?speed=3

Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,334 times
Well I get Taken to Heaven & There is a Goddess there who is "The Holy Mother", & She makes me watch Her sending all the young souls to earth in The Father & Son's Hands. She has manifested in my home as well. She is very very real & a Real Part of God. Probably The Most Important Part. So it is good that The Catholic Church worships The Holy Mother as well. Even if they don't know all the Spiritual facts about Her

Old 09-19-2019, 04:18 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So as God's holy rain fell upon all, the spirit of man soul listened and all (good) nations said ...

It's a good study to know the commonality of mans listening spirit and how it manifests in various religions. To which I say... what person can claim to have lived in obedience without the stain of immoral behavior?

I know.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:47 PM

995 posts, read 510,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
and Jesus said... 'love thy neighbor as thyself". So there you have it... in a nutshell, and no religion required.
If that's all there was and nothing else, yeah, that's fantastic. I'd not be on this board in the first place - I doubt anyone would. It'd just be a part of life.

Sadly, Christianity and other religions tend to take this a step or two further, and not in a good direction.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:55 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
If that's all there was and nothing else, yeah, that's fantastic. I'd not be on this board in the first place - I doubt anyone would. It'd just be a part of life.

Sadly, Christianity and other religions tend to take this a step or two further, and not in a good direction.
That's correct. The Goldenrule quotes . I mean Golden Rule Quotes - are to show that this is the principle of reciprocity that is common to human society no matter which religion or indeed none. I can see 'well God wrote it on the human heart' argument coming up, but then which god? Or rather which religion? It's the same problem that First cause argument runs into, if it is 'all the same god', which one? Or rather, which religion?

The answer being kept at arms' length is 'if all but one is the wrong one, why not all of them?' or 'They are atheist about all the other faiths; atheism just goes one god further'

The answer being kept are barge -pole length is 'there may be a god (or gods) but religions are man -made'.

This comes back to the original point, that the golden rule is not god -given, but a human social convention, and a sound or at least necessary, one.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
Well I get Taken to Heaven & There is a Goddess there who is "The Holy Mother", & She makes me watch Her sending all the young souls to earth in The Father & Son's Hands. She has manifested in my home as well. She is very very real & a Real Part of God. Probably The Most Important Part. So it is good that The Catholic Church worships The Holy Mother as well. Even if they don't know all the Spiritual facts about Her
Catholics do not worship Mary, they venerate her and pray through her, although she is referred to as the "Mother of the Church".
On the OP, we have seen atheist societies in the past where religion is banned, and a current one in North Korea.
They don't work.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:30 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's correct. The Goldenrule quotes . I mean Golden Rule Quotes - are to show that this is the principle of reciprocity that is common to human society no matter which religion or indeed none. I can see 'well God wrote it on the human heart' argument coming up, but then which god? Or rather which religion? It's the same problem that First cause argument runs into, if it is 'all the same god', which one? Or rather, which religion?

The answer being kept at arms' length is 'if all but one is the wrong one, why not all of them?' or 'They are atheist about all the other faiths; atheism just goes one god further'

The answer being kept are barge -pole length is 'there may be a god (or gods) but religions are man -made'.

This comes back to the original point, that the golden rule is not god -given, but a human social convention, and a sound or at least necessary, one.
Are there really many people who would argue against this?

Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Catholics do not worship Mary, they venerate her and pray through her, although she is referred to as the "Mother of the Church".
On the OP, we have seen atheist societies in the past where religion is banned, and a current one in North Korea.
They don't work.
I think you're quibbling over definitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality