Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:37 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people are discussing the topic and what it means to them in their life.
that is on topic

the bitterness and bile you express are corrosive. not to others, but to you the one who carries them, marinates in them.
No, he said, "With Christians..." The concept is not at all unique to christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 02:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It means Evil Jesus (Yahweh) is going to send you to Hell for Eternity.
Quote:
so that is part of your home.
OK
I'm not sure how you could possibly draw that conclusion.

After 125,000 years, Evil Jesus got a wild hair up his full point of contact and banned all altars outside of the Temple.

Thus, if you have an altar outside of the Temple, you are intentionally disrespecting Evil Jesus.

That would also mean christians are disrespecting Evil Jesus by building churches, since only one Temple is allowed. The only authorized place of worship is the Temple.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:18 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm not sure how you could possibly draw that conclusion.
because that is the thread topic:
"if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you?"

the opening post and thread topic are specific to sharing about the altar in your home, and what it means to you. so what you share is about you and your home.

Quote:
if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you? and how do you see its role for you?
this came up in another thread, someone mentioned he has an altar in his home and it got me thinking that regardless of the path a person chooses in their "religion and spirituality," even if it is "none," that many people have this common element. an altar in the home.
what does it mean to you? in your own words how do you see it? what do you like about it? in what ways is it pleasing to you?
for some it may be a remembrance of a loved one. a place of meditation. a place of stillness.
I'd be interested in hearing specifically from those here on CD who have an altar in your home. ..sharing how you see the altar in your home.
otherwise what you are posting is off topic. Feel free to start a different thread to discuss other stuff.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:24 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Interesting thread.
The altar in my home has changed, moved location, decreased in size over the years. It now sits in my bookshelf, occupying a shelf, along with my books.
It is set close to the floor because that is where we sit when we pray or when i meditate. It faces west so i can face east and the window where i can see the sun come up.
It has a small sculpture of Shiva as Nataraja, the dancer, with Parvati to his right. It was a wedding gift. It also has pictures of Devi, and two tiny Ganeshas, given to me by my mother. It has a silver oil lamp which i only light occasionally because of the flame.
It actually has no special significance as such other than it is a tradition i grew up with. I pray anywhere and sometimes here, for special requests! When my son visits he likes for us to gather there and pray. I will then light the lamp and incense.

What about you?

Old 06-15-2020, 05:39 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Interesting thread.
The altar in my home has changed, moved location, decreased in size over the years. It now sits in my bookshelf, occupying a shelf, along with my books.
It is set close to the floor because that is where we sit when we pray or when i meditate. It faces west so i can face east and the window where i can see the sun come up.
It has a small sculpture of Shiva as Nataraja, the dancer, with Parvati to his right. It was a wedding gift. It also has pictures of Devi, and two tiny Ganeshas, given to me by my mother. It has a silver oil lamp which i only light occasionally because of the flame.
It actually has no special significance as such other than it is a tradition i grew up with. I pray anywhere and sometimes here, for special requests! When my son visits he likes for us to gather there and pray. I will then light the lamp and incense.

What about you?
Interesting.

This (I think) is what Tzaph is on about.

https://www.city-data.com/blogs/1977...ansponder.html

3rd blog down. I explained, but Tzaph never listens.

I have a Buddhist alter in my home. Whilst I was never actually a believer in Buddhism. I uaed it in an effort to try to experience 'God' (or the Mystical Experience, which - whatever it signifies - is real, I think) and because I became fascinated with SEAsian culture and history and stil am and I aslo (i the Shrine room' have some Hindu and Chinese images.

It is a sorta 'adopted culture' but Tzaph latched onto it to try to make some kind of point, that I was secretly religious or being hypocritical. It isn't. I've got a load of stuff brought back from my travels but it leaves me still an atheist, just as I have always been.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you? and how do you see its role for you?

this came up in another thread, someone mentioned he has an altar in his home and it got me thinking that regardless of the path a person chooses in their "religion and spirituality," even if it is "none," that many people have this common element. an altar in the home.

what does it mean to you? in your own words how do you see it? what do you like about it? in what ways is it pleasing to you?
for some it may be a remembrance of a loved one. a place of meditation. a place of stillness.

shown below is a general description of what a home altar might be. But I'd be interested in hearing specifically from those here on CD who have an altar in your home. The description below can be a springboard for what resonates with you or not in sharing how you see the altar in your home.

thank you.

"When you decide to install an altar in your home it means that you have listened to an inner calling to literally “elevate†spiritual ideals—making them a priority in your life and a focal point of your home. A home altar serves many purposes. It is:

A focal point for your devotional practices
A spiritual center of your house
A reminder of spiritual principles
A spot where the mind is dragged into the Heart
A place of spiritual power and support
A sacred space where your spiritual aspiration is nurtured and reinforced
A hub for your spiritual practice.
Therefore, it is very important to create your altar consciously and to charge it again and again through your practice and devotion. In this way, it becomes a portal to elevated states of consciousness, love and grace."
I am not sure about this. I had little motocross bikes around in my basement. Where I worked on my bike in my garage can easily been seen as an "alter."

I may just be guilty as charged.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 AM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Interesting.

I have a Buddhist alter in my home. Whilst I was never actually a believer in Buddhism. I uaed it in an effort to try to experience 'God' (or the Mystical Experience, which - whatever it signifies - is real, I think) and because I became fascinated with SEAsian culture and history and stil am and I aslo (i the Shrine room' have some Hindu and Chinese images.

It is a sorta 'adopted culture' but Tzaph latched onto it to try to make some kind of point, that I was secretly religious or being hypocritical. It isn't. I've got a load of stuff brought back from my travels but it leaves me still an atheist, just as I have always been.

I am not an atheist. I am not sure what you understood from my post. When I say it has no special significance for me, does not mean it has no meaning. I am saying that from the relative standpoint of those who consider the alter itself as sacred. I pray to Shiva because I love his attributes as described in the texts, he is the Supreme Guru and also an erotic ascetic, the Lord of trees and the protector of animals which includes us, easy to please and a disciplinarian as the giver of Karma, haunts the cremation grounds, a feminist, and the spirit behind the OM mantra. These are contradictory images, a bit troublesome to imagine, but so complex in symbolism, it is poetry. So his place in my altar is very significant.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Cb I'm saying nothing about you. I'm explaining that her Op was based on something that I posted.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:23 AM

and remember. anti-god/anti-religious is different than just atheist. atheism doesn't have sects but we are different enough that words applies for a quick reference. Like there is different expression of your Hinduism there is different expression of atheism.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Interesting.

I have a alter in my home to try and experience god.

yeah, now I see it. This post shows You fight so hard for anti religion to try and convince yourself there is no god to yourself. You are more afraid that you are wrong more than actually believing in no god.

some of atheist have no need to prove to ourselves or anybody else that there is no god. We are not afraid to question ourselves about how the universe works.

Trans explains to us how it really is and if we don't agree we aren't really listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality