Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 11:01 AM

50,798 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That’s not the issue. Trans said we doing nothing but hope for Heaven, which is untrue.
True. It's more like you're trying to buy your way into heaven with good deeds. They're not done just because they're the right thing to do. They're done so you get to where you wanna be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 11:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
True. It's more like you're trying to buy your way into heaven with good deeds. They're not done just because they're the right thing to do. They're done so you get to where you wanna be.
that is the exact opposite of the message of Christianity.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is a lot more reasonable than a dead person coming back to life.
You're right. That's why it was a miracle. It wasn't something that naturally happens.
Quote:

In fact, if you take the Crucifixion accounts as reliable, something like the 'swoon' theory is unavoidable. You haven't thought about or considered this. We can if you ever want to You are just repeating rote denial.
I believe that the God that created the universe is big enough that he doesn't need us reading some silly swoon theory into the text.
Quote:
They absolutely do contradict. Frequently, utterly and terminally. But you haven't thought about or considered this and prefer to recite rote denial.
No. They don't.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
FunBap - GleninIndy started the 'Atheism makes bad countries' lark but you joined in two posts later with China and N. Korea - so don't act like we started it.

Because it was just the situation Christianity longs for - total Christian control through Christian rulers.
Sinful men often want complete control. Even men that call themselves Christian.
Quote:

Yes, because when you unpack that, we are entitled to evangelise (essentially) our views just as you are, and if those views have nothing on the tracts of our own but are about debunking what's on your tracts, that's the way it is. It is fair play and free speech and if you don't like it, that's tough. It is fair.
and you believe that includes harassment, insults, etc?
Quote:
I love by the way you play the persecuted martyr being harassed by atheists. last time i looked atheists were a tiny inority and the overwhelming majority were believers. Now all of a sudden you are calling persecution.
This forum is not consistent with the general population of America. On this forum, even the mods are atheists. And it shows.
Quote:
On the other hand, trying to make atheism look bad by pointing to secularist (mainly) countries in hopes to pin any bad stuff on us is pretty shameless.
I didn't bring it up. I merely supplied an answer to a question.
Quote:

Ok so GleninIndy messed up by giving us the option of choosing our countries and Australia, Austria and Denmark don't look too bad. You however, being Shameless, went right for the throat Communist (an therefore atheist) countries like China and N Korea. Which are dictatorships, where the Dogma is the party and the Ruler. Even then, China isn't that bad. I won't do a political analysis, but there are a few religious countries that would think it paradise to be as bad as that.
But they're still atheistic countries.
Quote:
No, slice it where you like BF, you did a shameless and very clumsy smear -effort.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
And comparing the chronology of the gospel accounts (in the order they are believed to have been written) from a purely objective literary analysis, the more time that passed, the more fantastical the story gets. At very least, this suggests that the doctrine of bodily resurrection developed over time.
It's not quite as bad as that, though I think you are on the right lines - and back on topic - thankfully

The doctrine of the resurrection as set down in the NT is pretty much all of a piece - that hasn't evolved. But I think that it had evolved before that. It was originally a spirit resurrection. Lok at Paul's description in Corinthians 1, and see whether it doesn't look like spiritual sightings. By the time the gospels came to be written, it had evolved into a body getting up and walking. Still with the holes in, too. I know doctrinally, Jesus should have a new, incorruptible body, but if a Jesus had turned up without a mark on his bod. well, for all they knew it Was the gardener.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That’s not the issue. Trans said we doing nothing but hope for Heaven, which is untrue.
Don't you hope for heaven? if you do, then you can't dismiss what i said, as easily as that. To clarify the point, any good that atheists may do is without any hope of reward. That's morality.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-02-2019 at 11:34 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why do you believe that was Christianity that caused that?
I never said Christianity caused it. I said it existed while Christianity thrived. 500 years of very little progress, and then several more centuries to recover.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:29 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Old 10-02-2019, 11:31 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Don't you hope for heaven? if you do, then you can't dismiss what i said, as easily as that. To clarify the point, any good atheists do is without any hope of reward. That's morality.
Why can’t we do both?

Old 10-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Why can’t we do both?
We can, jimmie. We can both do the same thing. That's the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality