Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 03:59 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Hypothetical questions are childish and irrelevant.
No they're not. You don't like them because they pin you down and answer questions you don't want to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 04:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No they're not. You don't like them because they pin you down and answer questions you don't want to answer.
No. The truth is that you people ask them because you refuse to deal with reality as it is.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
No. The truth is that you people ask them because you refuse to deal with reality as it is.
Reality as you see it.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
I wonder how christians would feel if we had a Muslim judge (and there are some) handing out Korans after trials...in the courtroom.

There's a new t.v. drama called "All Rise", and conservative media watchers hate it because it is liberal.
Is this judge routinely passing out Bibles? Or is this an isolated incident? Based on the testimony of the brother of the victim, the attitude of the criminal, I don't see this out of line.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:10 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Reality as you see it.
Come on phet, has Ozzy ever answered to or replied to any post with anything of substance?
You just have to be more charitable like the "good Christians' we aren't

Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Is this judge routinely passing out Bibles? Or is this an isolated incident? Based on the testimony of the brother of the victim, the attitude of the criminal, I don't see this out of line.
We know you don't, because it is another example of presumed christian privilege.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Come on phet, has Ozzy ever answered to or replied to any post with anything of substance?
You just have to be more charitable like the "good Christians' we aren't
Ever...well, while I mostly agree with you...Ozzy had some decent posts far in the past.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
We know you don't, because it is another example of presumed christian privilege.
Except that it's not.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Hypothetical questions are childish and irrelevant.
No they're not. There the 'what ifs' that human ethics are based on. 'What if it was you - how would you feel?' But of course we've all ready seen it in practice; any legal decision that goes against Christianity and they act like they've been martyred.

Quote:
This is about the law and constitution as it's interpreted by the law. But I can see what you think is the 'Reality'. "America is a Christian nation and can do whatever it likes, and to Hell with man -made law".

Quote:
Except that it's not.
Oh yes it is.
Quote:
Of course you don't. because Christian privilege seem the right order of things to you. i gather this happened outside the court. So no law of even Constitutional rule was being broken. It is what we'd call 'unprofessional behavior'. If it was an isolated incident, one warning ought to be enough. There was so far as I know One incident of a judge overruling a Jury because of messages from God, or One having the Commandments put up in the courthouse. One such event ought to be enough. Routinely doing this and they should be getting another judge.

I'll see how it's going but FFRF wouldn't have wasted their time an money on this if they didn't think they had a case.

P.s. I can find nothing about any actual case - just a protest. 'First Liberty Institute', defends the Judge's actions stoutly, which is what you'd expect from a Right wing religious group.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-10-2019 at 01:36 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 06:30 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No they're not. There the 'what ifs' that human ethics are based on. 'What if it was you - how would you feel?' But of course we've all ready seen it in practice; any legal decision that goes against Christianity and they act like they've been martyred.

This is about the law and constitution as it's interpreted by the law. But I can see what you think is the 'Reality'. "America is a Christian nation and can do whatever it likes, and to Hell with man -made law".

Oh yes it is.

Of course you don't. because Christian privilege seem the right order of things to you. i gather this happened outside the court. So no law of even Constitutional rule was being broken. It is what we'd call 'unprofessional behavior'. If it was an isolated incident, one warning ought to be enough. There was so far as I know One incident of a judge overruling a Jury because of messages from God, or One having the Commandments put up in the courthouse. One such event ought to be enough. Routinely doing this and they should be getting another judge.

I'll see how it's going but FFRF wouldn't have wasted their time an money on this if they didn't think they had a case.

P.s. I can find nothing about any actual case - just a protest. 'First Liberty Institute', defends the Judge's actions stoutly, which is what you'd expect from a Right wing religious group.
According to the story in the link posted inn the OP, this took place at the conclusion of the sentencing. The judge left the courtroom, went to her office & picked up the Bible, returned to the courtroom (wearing her judicial robe), gave her the Bible, hugged her and spoke privately to her in addition to the words that were heard being said. The picture with the article looks like it could be a courtroom.

This isn't about whether a law was broken or if there was a Constitutional provision violated (although there are 1st Amendment concerns). In the US, lawyers all operate under a license issued by the state under rules overseen by the State Supreme Courts. In addition to the legal ethics rules, judges are subject to the rules of judicial ethics overseen by the same State Supreme Courts. What the FFRF did was complain that the judge violates the rules of judicial ethics and asked the Judicial Ethics Commission in the State of Arizona to look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality