Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 05:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
God is teaching souls how to be wise.
Exodus 21:6 He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Yes, piercing the ear of a human to mark them as a slave forever is a very wise thing to do.

If your god had any morals, it might actually pique my interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 06:28 PM

919 posts, read 847,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, I have this feeling that we've had this discussion before...weren't we all hanging out at a bar near the hanging gardens in Babylon way back when and Radical_Thinker pinched a cute slave boy's butt and we got thrown out?
Why would you be thrown out for that?
That's what they are for.
Or so I have heard (from players on the other team - some women, some men.)

Old 10-14-2019, 06:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
It’s the only explanation I know for human behavior

Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It’s the only explanation I know for human behavior
the family's destroyed, the people killed, the kingdoms that have fallen.

all over one cute butt.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
Why is it that there STILL have hardly been any God-like/Christ-like, men or women in this world, after millions of years of supposedly reincarnating?
I know a lot about yogis and gurus and masters in India...so, I think there are many
such human beings walking around!
Even here in America.
I hang around a better crowd...

Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, I have this feeling that we've had this discussion before...weren't we all hanging out at a bar near the hanging gardens in Babylon way back when and Radical_Thinker pinched a cute slave boy's butt and we got thrown out?
There's a rather famous, or should I say infamous, gay bar in Bangkok named Babylon.

What exactly were you doing there? Well, at least you had a "right" country for reincarnation.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 392,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Exodus 21:6 He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.

Yes, piercing the ear of a human to mark them as a slave forever is a very wise thing to do.

If your god had any morals, it might actually pique my interest.

Quote:
5 And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:

6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...21&version=KJV
Moses was a killer & all his own people were afraid of him. He made those old laws you are attributing to God & mocking God over. Jesus gave a new type of religion based on love.

Quote:
7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...19&version=KJV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what traits does your god have?

if they align to the traits we know about the standard model (the working of the universe) I might agree with ya. if not ... I can't.
Well God spent years teaching me the science He uses to control all time & space. The entire universe is just light & energy. It doesn't really exist unless you tune into it, like an image in a crystal ball no one else can see. Why should God align Himself with an illusory bubble of energy?
God's traits are Love, Love, & more Love. That's about it

Old 10-14-2019, 09:20 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
God is teaching souls how to be wise. He may give them one life as a man. Then one life as a woman. One life as a cat. One life as a dog, & so on.
That's not possible. Animals don't have souls - or so the God believers would have me believe.

My take on reincarnation is that if it were true (and that's a big if) then a human would keep coming back as a human but not for any specific purpose other than to continue existing because that's just the nature of things. There is no 'learning' or 'developing' or the like. Our souls, or we as souls would evolve with the creatures we inhabit. You can see there is a bit of a problem with this.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, I'm not missing the point. I'm disagreeing with you.

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it. But it's also true that those who dwell on history are doomed to repeat it. But so what?

I remember well the first day I was a vice principal. I'd gotten a degree in educational administration, I'd been a teacher for 13 years (so I'd worked closely with school administrators), and yet on that first day it dawned on me that in terms of administration I didn't even know what I didn't know. And when I asked the principal who hired me, "What do I do now?", he said, "You're an administrator now. Figure it out". We learn a lot from our parents, or teachers, or others as we grow up, but I think there are things we "just know", and those may be things from past lives.

Perhaps it isn't learning what to do or not to do. Perhaps it's learning how to think critically -- a fairly nebulous but important talent.

Excuse me, but I didn't say you made a lot of stupid mistakes. YOU said you made a lot of stupid mistakes. We all have. I just shake my head over in one of the other sub-forums where lots of people want to give out "Darwin Awards" to people who do dumb things. And I think about some of the things they post and think perhaps those Darwin Awards are being given out by past recipients.

And now you're bringing god and heaven into it? No sense of continuing.

You think reincarnation and an afterlife can exist without a higher power?

Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You think reincarnation and an afterlife can exist without a higher power?
Reincarnation, from a Buddhist perspective, is not generally viewed as some higher power sitting in a courtroom handing out punishments. So yes, I think that is possible.

Since atheists believe that life can exist without a higher power, why can't afterlife exist without a higher power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality