Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2019, 09:25 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Actually, there is one "event" that I experienced back in 2005 that I have an incredibly vivid memory of, and which hasn't happened yet. I visiting this house somewhere in the Seattle area - it was a yellow split-level, and it had a picture window overlooking the front yard. I came inside, and there was a loud BOOM like a distant bomb had gone off. The floor jerked under my feet, and seconds later, I realized were having an earthquake. I went to the front room and held onto the couch for dear life as I looked outside. The ground was moving in waves . Weirdest thing I ever saw.

When it ended, I remember seeing reports that the Space Needle was still standing (whew!) but the area of the city with older brick buildings took heavy damage. And some big waves at the coast, with little warning since the earthquake was so close. I can't remember seeing any futuristic stuff, except the cars I saw were pretty small. Maybe 2030 or thereabouts? Anyone care to check back on this thread in 10-15 years to see if this verifies? LOL.

See how useless this crap is?
Not sure about all that, but we felt two pretty good sized earthquakes here yesterday! Whaddya know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Usually your posts are very thoughtful. But when you say that you have all the answers -- which you do say here -- that negates just about everything you post.
Maybe for you. Right?

Much like eating a pomegranate, you consume the good parts and cast the rest away.

How I look at these comments, threads and forum in general anyway.

Best too I think to simply explain what you agree with or don't and why, rather than forever the general comment judgement and ratings...

Old 10-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about the inability of science to know about what's out there. You've seen things, I've seen things, but we can't prove it to others. I'd not believe in psychic phenomenon if I didn't experience it myself - I'm very much a "believe it when I see it" kind of person. If you get the feeling my life is ironic, it is...lol. It's ironic to no end.

Getting back on track on reincarnation - I've heard very little in the way of what believers in reincarnation think they'll be in their next life. A lot of people insist this is their final life, or that they have no desire to come back again. I certainly can't blame them.

Me, I'd like to come back, but only under very specific circumstances.

I want to be born to kind, loving parents who don't believe in yelling or punishment, and I want to be live in a totally non-institutional society. No schools, no prisons, no hospitals, no corporations, no central governments. Life would be very, very simple, focused on growing super-nutritious food by way of sustainable gardening and the creative arts. Nobody would have control over another. While the children run barefoot through rows of giant vegetables, the adults spend time in thought circles manifesting good vibes for everyone.

Impossible? In my dreams? It'll never happen in the whole entirety of the human existence? Then I don't want to come back. I steadfastly refuse, and neither God nor man can make me. Just watch. I'll just go off and play in the cosmic sandbox, or take an endless road trip through the Universe. It's a pretty big place.

Or I could do like Mircea plans on doing - become a bunch of particles expanding in all directions, forever. That sounds pretty nice too.
I too am something of a "believe it when I see it sort of person." Something like what the folks in the "Show Me" state of Missouri tend to require.

There are some things I believe without having to see them however. Other things I find impossible to believe given the reasons I'm given to believe them. For all of us to judge as best we can of course. No limits to what we might choose to believe in any case. That fact always makes for a fascinating world for all of us. Unfortunately sometimes a dangerous world too...

Old 10-16-2019, 10:05 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That’s great but that doesn’t really address the context of the starement

Why this life? Why am I aware of myself sitting here rocking my son to sleep. If memories are physical to the body then by logic you shouldn’t remember a single life at all if you continuously live and die. What so different about this life that I am aware of myself in there here and now, but not any previous life or more importantly any future life?
You're trying to explain something with human logic that is beyond human logic. Or so goes the concept.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
How come people think souls only incarnate on earth?

Old 10-16-2019, 10:07 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the inability of science to know about what's out there. You've seen things, I've seen things, but we can't prove it to others. I'd not believe in psychic phenomenon if I didn't experience it myself - I'm very much a "believe it when I see it" kind of person. If you get the feeling my life is ironic, it is...lol. It's ironic to no end.

Getting back on track on reincarnation - I've heard very little in the way of what believers in reincarnation think they'll be in their next life. A lot of people insist this is their final life, or that they have no desire to come back again. I certainly can't blame them.

Me, I'd like to come back, but only under very specific circumstances.

I want to be born to kind, loving parents who don't believe in yelling or punishment, and I want to be live in a totally non-institutional society. No schools, no prisons, no hospitals, no corporations, no central governments. Life would be very, very simple, focused on growing super-nutritious food by way of sustainable gardening and the creative arts. Nobody would have control over another. While the children run barefoot through rows of giant vegetables, the adults spend time in thought circles manifesting good vibes for everyone.

Impossible? In my dreams? It'll never happen in the whole entirety of the human existence? Then I don't want to come back. I steadfastly refuse, and neither God nor man can make me. Just watch. I'll just go off and play in the cosmic sandbox, or take an endless road trip through the Universe. It's a pretty big place.

Or I could do like Mircea plans on doing - become a bunch of particles expanding in all directions, forever. That sounds pretty nice too.
Loved the bolded.

I find the WTC vision particularly interesting, of course, since I am a WTC survivor. I've had a lot of psychic moments in my life, but that day I had absolutely no inking of what was to come. The only thing I can recall is working on 82N (in One) the previous year and having recurring dreams of looking out the window and see that water was rising and wondering how I would get out, since the elevators would obviously only take me down into deep water. The dreams progressed to where I walked to the window and watched the water rise to eye level, and thought, "the next time I see the water rising, I have to break a window with a chair and jump into the water and swim before it reaches the level of where I am standing."

However, I was going through a divorce, had just lost my father, and was experiencing other life-changing issues, and I'm pretty sure the dreams were not prescient of the terrorist attacks but rather metaphors for being overwhelmed.

But when I was a kid, I was fascinated with the story of Helen Keller, the blind-and-deaf woman who became a writer and lecturer. I knew she was still alive. One day I was home sick, and my mother let me sleep in her bed with the radio on while I stayed home from school. I clearly heard the radio announcer say that Helen Keller had died, and I told my mother. We watched the news and looked in the paper, but we didn't hear anything about Helen Keller's death. I know I was not asleep, and I know what I heard. Helen Keller died about a week later.

I also somehow knew that a family friend who had cancer was going to die on my mother's birthday. I didn't say anything, but he did die on her birthday.

I was 9 and 10 when these things happened.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-16-2019 at 10:16 AM..

Old 10-16-2019, 10:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I too am something of a "believe it when I see it sort of person."
Something like what the folks in the "Show Me" state of Missouri tend to require.
Me, too! And KCMO was my favorite city I ever lived in, btw.

There is no reason to believe in God or reincarnation - it isn't
necessary to have a great life to have a great life right here and now.
However, for me I have seen the whole kitten-kaboodle...so there's no speculation on these subjects.
(And I did not ask or pray for any of it! And can't prove a thing!)

Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM

995 posts, read 509,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

However, for me I have seen the whole kitten-kaboodle...so there's no speculation on these subjects.
You've seen / experienced things that can't be easily explained?

I agree you don't have to believe in a god or reincarnation to have a good life - there hasn't been an atheist I've met that I haven't gotten along with.

Me, I just create whatever god and Jesus that I want to believe in, i.e., Jesus was a person who believed in empowerment of the little guy, and for the rich to share their loot with the poor. Not the judgemental kind who'll send ya to hayul if you don't get "saved." LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARD...GTtjNM&index=2

I also agree with the idea that if you're not happy with the life you're having now, it's your responsibility to do what it takes to have the life you want. God or not, he ain't gonna do it for you. It took me a while to figure it out, but now that I have, it's nice to have an action plan (namely moving to a remote area of the country where Nature reigns and people are far and few in between.) I'm here in the now - might as well make the best of it, huh?

Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Yes, like I sometimes say, "Heaven and Hell are right here on Earth."

Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
You've seen / experienced things that can't be easily explained?

I agree you don't have to believe in a god or reincarnation to have a good life - there hasn't been an atheist I've met that I haven't gotten along with.

Me, I just create whatever god and Jesus that I want to believe in, i.e., Jesus was a person who believed in empowerment of the little guy, and for the rich to share their loot with the poor. Not the judgemental kind who'll send ya to hayul if you don't get "saved." LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARD...GTtjNM&index=2

I also agree with the idea that if you're not happy with the life you're having now, it's your responsibility to do what it takes to have the life you want. God or not, he ain't gonna do it for you. It took me a while to figure it out, but now that I have, it's nice to have an action plan (namely moving to a remote area of the country where Nature reigns and people are far and few in between.) I'm here in the now - might as well make the best of it, huh?
Seems you have a good head on your shoulders and have found what works for you to "have the life you want." That's truly one of the most important life goals if not most important, and of course there are many ways in which to accomplish that goal. Good for you, but I have also known people of faith who seem resigned to believe that "God will provide," like the graduate and undergraduate students I used to counsel about falling behind in their studies. Too many seemed to think that even if they did poorly in school, God would see them through somehow. Make it all better.

Sadly, I think that sort of "faith" hurts all too many people. I don't know if that's more or less people that benefit from their faith in real tangible ways, but I do know there are too many who don't understand what you explain about what God will do for you. Might be best, perhaps, to assume there is no God and do what makes the most sense with respect to earning the "life you want." Both ways require we take responsibility for what we must do to have a good life. Lots of religious folks don't seem to get that too well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality