Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 12:50 PM

521 posts, read 162,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's not "say" you're the Buddha. You're not. Let's not "say" you're a Buddhist monk. Just tell us...are you a Buddhist monk? Those are simple questions based on what you brought up.

If I must say something, I would rather say I am the Buddha. Take me on if you can make it to that other shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 01:04 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sree251 View Post
If I must say something, I would rather say I am the Buddha. Take me on if you can make it to that other shore.
You forgot the raft.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:07 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Sigh

Old 01-04-2021, 01:15 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
so then let us know your views on the nuanced distinction between rebirth and reincarnation. that is an excellent topic for exploration and discussion.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You forgot the raft.
I am not a Buddhist, but those them there statues? He is the raft.
In more ways than one.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:18 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so then let us know your views on the nuanced distinction between rebirth and reincarnation. that is an excellent topic for exploration and discussion.
That is a tough one.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:12 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
I agree it is an excellent topic. We have an existing base of information about how births occur from which to extrapolate how a rebirth might occur without imputing a bunch of esoteric and largely unprovable assertions (a la the many reincarnation belief systems.) Each new individual birth results from the insemination of the mother's egg by the father's sperm. I am not seeing any mechanism for injecting the prior Spirit of any previously existing individual into that process, so, IMO the typical reincarnation assertions are non-starters from a scientific perspective. However, if we consider the existence of a rebirth consisting of the growth and development of an immaterial Spirit within the physical individual, that poses some intriguing and puzzling issues that inevitably seem to evoke the use of esoteric and imaginary speculations of what I call magical thinking.

If we consider the Spirit to be something that preexists the birth of the physical body we have problems explaining how to inject it into the birthing processes we do understand, again using largely inexplicable esoteric and scientifically unsupportable processes. But if we see the physical birth as the occasion when the spiritual seed of a new Spirit is inseminated into the body and brain of the newly born physical individual, there is a known sequence to the resulting birthing process that would result in a rebirth of that same newly created individual from its physical "womb" to its spiritual existence as a newborn Spirit - No esoteric or unsupportable or imaginary birthing processes involved.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:14 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Why not? Consciousness is the state of awareness. Hindus call it the Atma. It's the same thing. Empirical consciousness research is an ongoing project across multiple disciplines involving neuroscientists, psychologists, philosophers from the west and India.
Atma is Sanskrit and it is not consciousness, it is what illuminates the consciousness, the reason why you are aware that you are aware. In deep sleep we are conscious, in fact all consciousness and nothing else, but we are not aware of our consciousness.

Cognitive and neuro science does not have the means to measure or observe the Atma. Just because there is research does not mean they have the answers. The ancient sages were way ahead of them to even conceptualize the nature of Atma.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:18 PM

521 posts, read 162,970 times
Quote:

First of all, before I launch into this discourse as the Enlightened One, let me inform those, whose feet are still on the ground, that academic research could not trace any scriptural records of any teaching that came directly from the Buddha. In other words, no one knows what the Buddha taught. Any accredited scholar on Buddhism would not dispute this. In other words, practitioners of Buddhism base their faith in the Dharma invented by monks. The case is the same for Christian theology which can be traced back to the early Christians (notably St. Paul) with no input from "Jesus Christ" who is plausibly a mythic figure.

If you have any objections to my above statements, present it now.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:30 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree it is an excellent topic. We have an existing base of information about how births occur from which to extrapolate how a rebirth might occur without imputing a bunch of esoteric and largely unprovable assertions (a la the many reincarnation belief systems.) Each new individual birth results from the insemination of the mother's egg by the father's sperm. I am not seeing any mechanism for injecting the prior Spirit of any previously existing individual into that process, so, IMO the typical reincarnation assertions are non-starters from a scientific perspective. However, if we consider the existence of a rebirth consisting of the growth and development of an immaterial Spirit within the physical individual, that poses some intriguing and puzzling issues that inevitably seem to evoke the use of esoteric and imaginary speculations of what I call magical thinking.

If we consider the Spirit to be something that preexists the birth of the physical body we have problems explaining how to inject it into the birthing processes we do understand, again using largely inexplicable esoteric and scientifically unsupportable processes. But if we see the physical birth as the occasion when the spiritual seed of a new Spirit is inseminated into the body and brain of the newly born physical individual, there is a known sequence to the resulting birthing process that would result in a rebirth of that same newly created individual from its physical "womb" to its spiritual existence as a newborn Spirit - No esoteric or unsupportable or imaginary birthing processes involved.
if someone considers paths of religion and spirituality to be "a bunch of imaginary speculations unprovable non-starter magical thinking unsupportable assertions" then it is likely that attitude prevents them from getting much of anything out of paths of religion and spirituality.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-04-2021 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality